RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018

Arm warmers question

I am looking into a set of arm warmers. A few questions:

1) Lately it has been cold here (upper 30s/lower 40s). So far a long sleeve shirt under my normal jersey has been okay, but not great. My arms get the coldest, followed by upper chest area. Thinking of just switching to a set of warmers and a vest. Would the warmers suffice?

2) Is there any real difference between Castelli, Gore, Assos, and Giordana warmers? Or is it mainly a Ford vs Chevy kind of discussion? Any reviews on any of those that are listed?

Thanks. I might also add a baselayer, but not sure how much i want to invest since it isn't all that cold for very long. I think the arm warmers will last a bit longer into the year though.

Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by billiegoat View Post

1) Lately it has been cold here (upper 30s/lower 40s). So far a long sleeve shirt under my normal jersey has been okay, but not great. My arms get the coldest, followed by upper chest area. Thinking of just switching to a set of warmers and a vest. Would the warmers suffice?

2) Is there any real difference between Castelli, Gore, Assos, and Giordana warmers? Or is it mainly a Ford vs Chevy kind of discussion? Any reviews on any of those that are listed?

Thanks. I might also add a baselayer, but not sure how much i want to invest since it isn't all that cold for very long. I think the arm warmers will last a bit longer into the year though.
    I have two different types of arm warmer. One pair is just a just spandex and I use them in early spring and late fall. During winter I have a pair with a light lining on the inside that I pair with a light long sleeve jersey and a windbreaker jacket that I've run in -16 degrees temps with no issues. I believe they are both pearl izumi but are so old the logos are no more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by billiegoat View Post

No. Wear a short long sleeve base layer. Add a short sleeve base layer. Add a short sleeve jersey. Add arm warmers. Add a vest.

You don't necessarily need everything in the list above. I was attempting to show you that things like arm warmers and short/long sleeve base layers are versatile rather than committing to a very specific, limited use item such as a long sleeve jersey.

I will shift from a cycling jacket to a vest at temps over 40, but only if it's sunny. But that can be offset by wearing an additional base layer, short or long sleeve.

Every brand has their fans. Some have windstopping features. One man's insulating material can be another man's ice cube. I like DeFeet.

Both short and long sleeve base layers can be useful for casual wear, hiking, etc. . Try wearing more than one base layer under your jersey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Arm warmers and a vest do not cover the shoulders -- which can be a problem for some people.
    So you might want to check if that applies to you too.

Slowski
    In 30ish degree weather I wear a summer base layer, short sleeve jersey, PI arm warmers, bib shorts, PI leg warmers, shoe covers, wind vest, and a warm up jacket. In 40ish weather I just remove the warm up jacket. Haven't found the cold shoulders, or shorts area to be an issue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    to ride in the 30s, I use an UnderArmour base layer, full fleece bibs, ss jersey, PI windbreaker, and TWO sets of arm warmers (one spandex, one fleece-lined)...allows me to shed layers as things warm up.

but regardless of the temp, I always see at least one hardy type out riding in ss jersey and shorts.

thermal tolerance varies widely...
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've taken to wool layers in the cold. A wool T shirt followed by 1 or 2 long sleeved wool base layers, depending on the temps. and a long sleeve wool jersey to top it all off. I'll carry a wind vest or jacket, in case, but very seldom need to use it. The layers of tight knit wool do a pretty good job of blocking the wind.

Also fleece tights, which may or may not be wind blocking depending on conditions.

I typically only ride into the low 40's.

And as Oxtox said, there's often someone out there in shorts with red legs. I don't know if it's thermal tolerance or foolishness.
    Too old to ride plastic

Slowski
    I've made the mistake before of going on a group ride which started in the upper 30's and got into the mid 40's by the end in my 30's kit with a head cover on under my helmet. Mid way through the ride, I was dying. At a rest, I had to ditch the warmup and head cover.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    I've made the mistake before of going on a group ride which started in the upper 30's and got into the mid 40's by the end in my 30's kit with a head cover on under my helmet. Mid way through the ride, I was dying. At a rest, I had to ditch the warmup and head cover.
    what's that got to do with arm warmers...?
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Slowski
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    what's that got to do with arm warmers...?
    Nothing now that you mention it.

I was just illustrating that it is easy to over dress for a ride and overheat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a pair of wool arm warmers from The Sock Guy that have been stellar. They work for a wide range of temps, sometimes I add them as an extra layer over a long sleeve base layer for those extra cold days.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    I was just illustrating that it is easy to over dress for a ride and overheat.
    Brings to mind the best thing about arm warmers: On a day with a cool morning but rapidly rising temperatures, you can pull them off easily and stuff them into your jersey pocket while you ride. No need to wait for a rest stop.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I ride in AZ & use 'arm covers' all year long, even when it is 111dF. The summer ones are coolmax very light wt. I hate sunscreen and after yrs of riding don't need any more sun on my arms, legs, head, nose, you get the picture?
    BANNED