Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017

Do I Look Fat In This?

I bought a few things in last week's Black Friday sales. A Castelli Perfetto at better than half price! A pair of Louis Garneau Glacier Road Winter Boots for 75% off! A Sportful Flash Softshell Thermal Jacket for 70% off! A Pactimo Ultra-Light Rain Jacket for dirt cheap!

And last, but not least, a winter jacket and a thermal jersey from a not very well-known brand at bargain basement prices. It's these two that are the subject of this thread. The place I bought them from sold out of the size that I usually get. But the price was too good to pass up. So I took a risk buying these cause I didn't know how they would fit.

Except now I'm having a twinge of buyer's remorse over these two "lower budget" purchases. So I'm requesting you folks' opinion on what yous think about the quality of them just from eyeballing them in photos...

----

----

----

----

----

----

----

----

----

----

Your opinions will help me decide whether or not I will return them from whence they came. Hence the tags in the photos.

Personally, I'm impressed with the material and workmanship of clothes as inexpensive as these two "bargain basement" cold weather garments. I really dig the race fit. Even though I got them to wear on my daily commute to and from work. So I guess they would go in the new clothing category I just created: "Rat Race Fit" (heh heh).

I haven't ridden in them yet though. But from the look and feel of them (plus based on reviews I've read), I'm confident they'll be warm enough for winter commuting. As inexpensive as they are, I won't mind ruining them with oily chain schmutz, road tar and sweat stains like I've done to all my other commuting clothes (case in point, the gloves and tights in the photos). My expensive fancy-schmancy stuff is intended just for the weekends.

I've uploaded other photos that show more detail...

1. Budget Priced Winter Jacket
    2. Budget Priced Thermal Jersey

So what do you folks think? Are they keepers?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017

Tl;DR

It occurred to me that my actual question might be lost in what I now realize might be an intimidating wall of text for some. So I'll take this opportunity to emphasize what the focus should be, with the following TL;DR:

Like I already said, "I'm confident they'll be warm enough for winter commuting..." . So, my question is not, "Will I be warm in them?" The question I am asking is, "What do folks think about the quality of the clothes in the photos?"
    Last edited by bigSissy; 1 Week Ago at 06:18 PM. Reason: Click on "the photos" to see the photos

Forever a Student
    Keep.

Fit is very important and the fit is good. Quality seems good enough for sure.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks @MMsRepBike. I agree. At $22 for the black jacket and $17 for the gray Rapha-inspired jacket, the quality is remarkably impressive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bigSissy View Post
    It occurred to me that my actual question might be lost in what I now realize might be an intimidating wall of text for some. So I'll take this opportunity to emphasize what the focus should be, with the following TL;DR:

Like I already said, "I'm confident they'll be warm enough for winter commuting..." . So, my question is not, "Will I be warm in them?" The question I am asking is, "What do folks think about the quality of the clothes in the photos?"
    Your question was do I look fat in this. Who in their right mind would give this thread any serious thought?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Going by your screen name, I'm suspecting you're a troll. But if not, I'll just say this. Who the eff cares if you "look fat in this"? If it's warm, you're riding your bike during the winter without freezing your arse off and that is all that matters IMHO!

My only objection with the outfit is the predominance of black. You should be wearing more visible colors if you like to stay alive. Think orange and yellow. Or just put on a visi-vest over it.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    Your question was do I look fat in this. Who in their right mind would give this thread any serious thought?
    Oh dear! It sounds like I've offended all the fat people!

No offense meant to the big-boned brigade. It's just a silly headline. Lighten up (pardon the pun).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Going by your screen name, I'm suspecting you're a troll. But if not, I'll just say this. Who the eff cares if you "look fat in this"? If it's warm, you're riding your bike during the winter without freezing your arse off and that is all that matters IMHO!

My only objection with the outfit is the predominance of black. You should be wearing more visible colors if you like to stay alive. Think orange and yellow. Or just put on a visi-vest over it.
    Haven't you heard? Black is the new orange! I've commuted hundreds of thousands of miles wearing black cycling clothes; without incident.

The secret is two of those 20,000 lumen $6.00 headlights from aliexpress. Both on strobe. And the Sun shining out of my ass makes a great tail light

Darling of The Lounge
    Those photos are too creepy

This thread is a gag ball away from being a 'Casual Encounters' Craigslist ad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've commuted hundreds of thousands of miles wearing black cycling clothes; without incident.
    And haven't you heard:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do I Look Fat In This?-traditiondemotivator.jpg  
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Do I Look Fat In This?
    About 5-6mo pregnant.

What do folks think about the quality of the clothes in the photos?
    Couldn't tell you about the quality of the clothes, due to the poor quality of the grainy cell phone pics.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    You do look fat in that.

Frankly, I'd taunt you as I passed you if you were wearing that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

Good Lord! It looks like I've unsettled all the elderly people too!

Listen old timers. If something as run-of-the-mill as the lower half of a cycling balaclava is enough to get you old geezers fantasizing about a chick as ugly as Uma Thurman, then you frustrated old preverts really need to get out more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Haven't you heard? Black is the new orange! I've commuted hundreds of thousands of miles wearing black cycling clothes; without incident.

The secret is two of those 20,000 lumen $6.00 headlights from aliexpress. Both on strobe. And the Sun shining out of my ass makes a great tail light
    Hundreds of thousands of miles commuting and you need to seek help finding clothing that works. Dude, why haven't you figured it out yourself yet?
    Too old to ride plastic

Road Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Hundreds of thousands of miles commuting and you need to seek help finding clothing that works. Dude, why haven't you figured it out yourself yet?
    Notice the similarities between this troll and the one on the Disk Brake thread??

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Uma Thurman is hot. And that outfit makes you look like a My Little Pony Ninja.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Uma Thurman is hot.
    Hot is a bit far, but I certainly wouldn't throw her out of bed.

-- Warren Buffett

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Hot is a bit far, but I certainly wouldn't throw her out of bed.
    Agreed. Actually, I might throw her out of bed. It's tough for us old men to get a decent night's sleep, what with all the getting up to pee 20 or 30 times.

Thanks for not disagreeing with my belief that the OP's blubber-tubs* outfit looks like he's trying to be a Ninja from My Little Pony Land.

* When I first laid eyes on the OP, the 60s song "Summertime" came into my head, but with the word Blubber-tubs as the refrain instead of Summertime.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Agreed. Actually, I might throw her out of bed. It's tough for us old men to get a decent night's sleep, what with all the getting up to pee 20 or 30 times.
    I solved that problem with a catheter.

-- Warren Buffett

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post

Frankly, he looks like he's dressed for a bank robbery.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Frankly, he looks like he's dressed for a bank robbery.
    Would it be wrong if I said sperm bank robbery?

If so, I'll un-say it.

I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    I would say the top look great, bottoms look baggy.

For the price, use them and see how they are.
    If you don't follow the liberal flock, you are called a troll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017

And so...

I'd like to thank you old geezers for contributing to my little experiment. You have all been very helpful little lab rats; even if you actually intended to be catty contrarians instead.

In fact, paradoxically, the cattier the comment, the more valuable that comment is for affirming what I had hoped to prove with this experiment. That's because human nature being what it is, the more insulting a person intends to be, the more honest their comments will be.

Equally paradoxical — and even more valuable than the venomous barbs spewed out by so many of you — is what was not said by any of you. The thing that makes such an absence more valuable is this: because the jacket and jersey fit me so well (if I do say so myself) none of you ever caught on to the fact that those are actually ladies' cycling jackets that I am wearing!

----

----

----

If anybody had caught on to that, I'm pretty sure the trolling would have been way more spiteful than it actually was (as I fully anticipate it likely to be; now that all has been revealed).

And so in conclusion, what did my experiment prove? A few things...

1. If the irresistibly-priced ladies' winter cycling jacket and ladies' thermal jersey sold by your favorite low-budget grocery store is both a cooler style and a better fit than the corresponding mens' version, then dudes of a certain height and weight have more options to choose from.
    2. An open-minded, hetero, alpha-male comfortable with his own masculinity can still rock a ladies' cycling jacket and nobody will ever know the difference.
    3. If you've got better things to spend your money on than the snob appeal factor of your cycling clothes, then a $17 Rapha jersey look-alike that is comparable to the $217 original in style, quality, fit and function is money wisely spent.
    4. Men are cattier than women when it comes to appraising the suitability of a piece of clothing on another individual of the same gender.

In summing up my experiment, one of the most interesting things I've found is how difficult it was to figure out why there were so much flaming and so much trolling leveled at my original post.

The only explanation I can think of is that the more intense trolling came most likely from Rapha owners who are upset because I've bagged a product comparable to Rapha in every way, but for which I paid only $17. While they paid fifteen times that amount for theirs. That big of a difference in price would spark my ire too if I were a "Raphaelite".

Either that or people in general are just plain jealous of my male model good looks and chiseled physique in the photos. I get that a lot IRL
    Last edited by bigSissy; 1 Week Ago at 01:34 PM. Reason: closed "URL" tag

RoadBikeReview Member
    Geeee, who is trolling again?

And really, who cares whether it's labeled men's or women's. Your screen name is "Big Sissy" anyway, so a women's garment should be fitting. The garment certainly doesn't care. As I said before, if it's warm and comfortable, who the eff cares. My only criticism was the lack of visibility.

Go out and take a ride with it, then come back and troll us some more. It's been fun!

-- Warren Buffett

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    The thing that makes such an absence more valuable is this: because the jacket and jersey fit me so well (if I do say so myself) none of you ever caught on to the fact that those are actually ladies' cycling jackets that I am wearing!
    Meh... you gotta try harder.

I caught onto the lady part.... hence my pregnant comment.
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    About 5-6mo pregnant.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast