Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017

Question I need to block wind noise, what is the quietest helmet setup?

I have tinnitus and want to keep it from getting worse when cycling in high winds. I wear triple-flanged ear buds to isolate the wind noise, but it still gets too loud. I have tried "cat ears" but they work poorly, even at a walking pace.

Do I need to get a TT or Aero helmet without any vents which fully covers my ear?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I’ve heard from users that the Evade is great at reducing wind noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forever a Student
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017
    I have them. Pretty much worthless. Would not recommend.

A wheelist
    Have you tried simple plain ol' cotton wool? Yes I know you use ear buds. I mean instead of the buds.
    Mike T's home wheelbuilding site - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder's with motivation, information and resources.

Everything above, up to that blue line, is IMO IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    What about regular foam ear plugs? I've had to wear them before while driving to help combat road noise which was driving me crazy.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by dittoalex View Post

Funny I and lots of people I know locally love them. And before you ask, I have tinnitus too (the breaks of being a musician).

If your ears are shaped such that 'Ears don't work (I'd believe it could happen)...you're probably sunk, short of using ear muffs or fashioning something yourself. Most helmets are shaped the same way...the problem you run into is keeping you hearing such that you maintain situtational awareness of cars and passing.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    the problem you run into is keeping you hearing such that you maintain situtational awareness of cars and passing.
    ^ This. Too much sound reduction can backfire.

Since it's getting cold out, I would suggest headband covering the ears. It does reduce the wind noise quite a bit. If the appearance don't bother you, there are triangle shape ear covers made for bicycle helmet straps.

I've seen foam earmuffs with a hole cut out in the middle so that it acts as a wind spoiler which would work better than Cat-ears since it's closer to the ear and wraps around 360 d. They may have been discontinued because I can't find it online.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    If you want to get a new helmet, TT helmets typically have full ear coverage.
    I need to block wind noise, what is the quietest helmet setup?-specialized-s-works-tt-helmet-2017.jpg

Also, snowboard helmets have built-in ear covers.

Name:  71eWWLb6Y6L._SY355_.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  14.2 KB

Devoid of all flim-flam
    I'm sensitive to wind noise, too. I really like to be able to hear while I'm riding. Most especially, I like to be able to discern the type of beast behind me. A clumsy SUV that chances are is being piloted by a distracted driver? A happy little subcompact that would be able to pass me without impinging either on my space or the wrong side of the road? A peloton happily buzzing and clicking along? A city bus? Unfortunately, I just can't seem to make any sort of rear view mirror work for me.

Anyway, to the subject at hand. I found the Specialized road helmets in my past to be reasonably free of wind noise. My current Mavic road helmet, by contrast, is a roaring nuisance.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Seriously? I find Cat Ears pretty effective at cutting wind noise. Did you put yours on right?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Name:  1011991_273x0.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  27.2 KB
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Name:  1011991_273x0.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  27.2 KB
    Probably not the greatest idea for riding in traffic.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use half a sheet of toilet paper in each ear. Keeps the cold and wind out but allows me to hear traffic fairly well.

Cheap too!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    The "Slip" looks like it might be almost as effective as the aero helmet, but at a fraction of the cost. They will also work with headphones, etc. Plus, you won't get the questions about wearing a TT helmet all of the time.

Slipstreamz cycling earwear review - BikeRadar USA

https://www.roadbikerider.com/produc...pstreamz-slips
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    The "Slip" looks like it might be almost as effective as the aero helmet, but at a fraction of the cost. They will also work with headphones, etc.
    But you shouldn't be riding with headphones anyway.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    But you shouldn't be riding with headphones anyway.
    I never have, not once, too risk averse, but I see people doing it every ride. I also see people with full stereos on their bikes. It’s a crazy world out there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepV View Post
    I use half a sheet of toilet paper in each ear. Keeps the cold and wind out but allows me to hear traffic fairly well.

Cheap too!
    And perfect for those emergency dumps behind a tree :P

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2014
    But on a more serious note, there are quite a few sets of headphones coming out with active noise cancelling that allow you to configure the amount of background noise (people talking, vehicles, etc etc) to pass through via the microphone. These will cut out wind noise, while still permitting you to hear people around you, and potentially vehicles.

I have not tried them yet, they are kinda pricey, and they would not really last for long rides before the battery dies.

Side note, while I do use headphones, I only use them in one ear so I can hear whats going on around me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I never have, not once, too risk averse, but I see people doing it every ride. I also see people with full stereos on their bikes. It’s a crazy world out there.

Yep. I've even seen people texting while riding a bike - turning left at a red light!!

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljvb View Post
    And perfect for those emergency dumps behind a tree :P
    I really doubt half a sheet would be much use here. Even sliding against the grass would be more effective.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Yep. I've even seen people texting while riding a bike - turning left at a red light!!
    I am convinced some people have a death wish and/or just don’t believe something bad/painful can happen to them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am convinced some people have a death wish and/or just don’t believe something bad/painful can happen to them.
    Yep on this too. Every time I see someone riding their bike at night, no lights, no reflectors, no helmet, donned in black from head to toe, I am thinking their mission is chlorinating the gene pool.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2013
    I have a set. Works well for me. They are the larger, fuzzy type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast