RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012

Overshoes vs winter boots

OK so it's headed for colder times here in the southern hemishpere. Where I live doesn't get super cold, and I have a pair of overshoes, but when it gets down under 0 celcius my feet get pretty cold still. For those that have them how much (if at all) better are things like gore-tex/thermal riding shoes in the cold and/or wet?
    All the gear and no idea

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    OK so it's headed for colder times here in the southern hemishpere. Where I live doesn't get super cold, and I have a pair of overshoes, but when it gets down under 0 celcius my feet get pretty cold still. For those that have them how much (if at all) better are things like gore-tex/thermal riding shoes in the cold and/or wet?
    Everyone's different, of course, but my experience is that dedicated winter shoes are a lot more convenient than overshoes, and do a better job of keeping out rain and slush. I ride Sidi shoes, and they're fine for the temps you're describing, but not much lower (for me, YMMV). Lake makes nice shoes, and I just plunged for a pair because they're supposed to be warmer, and because they're available in my size (I have very large feet).

One thing is this: Buy shoes that are a size, or even two sizes, larger, to leave room for socks.
    More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

Donald Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I commute a lot. I started out using neoprene shoe covers. I'd go through a pair a season. They worked reasonably well, but were a PITA to take on and off twice a day. I bought a pair of Sidi winter shoes -- this is like 20 years ago when they were the only company making winter shoes. They worked as well as the covers, and were a lot more convenient. Last year, I bought a pair of Lake 303's. These things are much warmer, but pretty heavy duty. I think a big feature of the Lake shoes are the insole. I bought a spare pair and put them in my Sidi's. I wear the Sidis when its cool out and the Lakes when its cold out. They're not cheap, but winter shoes last forever.

Overshoes vs winter boots-shoes1.jpgOvershoes vs winter boots-shoes2.jpgOvershoes vs winter boots-shoes.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    SO winter boots it is then. Of course the next issue is, Australia, what's a winter boot? So I'll be buying online (which will also save a ton of cash)
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    From my experience, there is no way overshoes, neoprene covers or anything like that will keep your feet as warm as a pair of dedicated winter cycling shoes.

I got a pair of 45NRTH Japanthers. Expensive, but well worth it:

https://45nrth.com/products/japanther
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Got some NW extreme RR GTX's, seem comfy and warm...geez they're hard to get on and off, remind me of my old Nike Mowabbs only worser
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    I bought a pair of Northwave Fahrenheit GTX on sale at a local shop and the difference between that and using covers with my regular shoes is pretty significant. I have been out riding @ 0C and even a little lower and my feet still get cold - but not nearly as cold and it takes much longer for them to get cold too. Like someone above said - leave a little extra room for heavier socks - I typically wear woolly bully's with them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    I've been using 45nrth Wolfhammers for the last 2 years. I commute every day and it gets really cold here some days (-20F), and can be very slushy other days. These boots are a little bit clunky feeling but they keep my feet warm when wearing wool socks with them. They only work with SPD cleats so thats another thing to consider, you didn't mention what pedals you use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    go with the booties for $40 instead of entire pair of boots for $200.

I have a set of Sidi winter mtb boots (w SPD) but they suck! Not as warm as using booties as we called them - aka overshoes I guess. I just never use those winter shoes at all, they suck (and thus they are like new condition at 15 or 20 years old)

I use pearl izumi booties over my summer riding shoes. There is no extra effort involved because I just leave them on the shoes all winter and spring. Just need to do the velcro at the back of them. For longer rides over 2 hours I throw in a pair of chemical toe warmers above my toes inside the shoes.

It only gets down to about 5C on the colder days here in January. I am still using the booties now and today was 14C

when I lived back east and experienced miserable winters, my trainng buddy and I had custom down-filled booties made for us by a local amish commune. worked great. We'd add electric socks if it was like -10C. still in summer shoes (road shoes or MTB SPD shoes)
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post

I have a set of Sidi winter mtb boots (w SPD) but they suck! Not as warm as using booties as we called them - aka overshoes I guess. I just never use those winter shoes at all, they suck (and thus they are like new condition at 15 or 20 years old)

I use pearl izumi booties over my summer riding shoes. There is no extra effort involved because I just leave them on the shoes all winter and spring. Just need to do the velcro at the back of them. For longer rides over 2 hours I throw in a pair of chemical toe warmers above my toes inside the shoes.

It only gets down to about 5C on the colder days here in January. I am still using the booties now and today was 14C

when I lived back east and experienced miserable winters, my trainng buddy and I had custom down-filled booties made for us by a local amish commune. worked great. We'd add electric socks if it was like -10C. still in summer shoes (road shoes or MTB SPD shoes)

Too late, bought some already... but already had some booties, i was fine in my sidi's down to 5C, then booties were fine for a few degrees colder, bt once it gets below 1 or 2 down to -5, then nope, frozen feet. So we;ll see how these goretex, thermal things go.
    All the gear and no idea

RoadBikeReview Member

I have a set of Sidi winter mtb boots (w SPD) but they suck! Not as warm as using booties as we called them - aka overshoes I guess.I just never use those winter shoes at all, they suck (and thus they are like new condition at 15 or 20 years old)
    Sounds like you just chose the wrong winter bike boots.

I can tell you for a fact that the 45NRTH Japanthers I have are night and day warmer than neoprene booties, overshoes or whatever you want to call them and I have had a lot of different overshoes.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Too late, bought some already... but already had some booties, i was fine in my sidi's down to 5C, then booties were fine for a few degrees colder, bt once it gets below 1 or 2 down to -5, then nope, frozen feet. So we;ll see how these goretex, thermal things go.
    makes sense cause you are def in a colder climate than I am.
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

I used a pair of Sidi winter shoes for years. They're better than a regular cycling shoe, and about the same as a neoprene bootie for an hour or so (the length of my commute). After that, they aren't so great. The Lake 303's I bought last year are far away superior to the Sidis, or any neoprene booties I've ever owned. So don't judge all winter shoes with such limited experience. So I have to agree with Lombard here -- you chose the wrong winter boot (except that's pretty much all that was on the market when you and I bought them). Make sure they're not a centimeter too big.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I used a pair of Sidi winter shoes for years. They're better than a regular cycling shoe, and about the same as a neoprene bootie for an hour or so (the length of my commute). After that, they aren't so great. The Lake 303's I bought last year are far away superior to the Sidis, or any neoprene booties I've ever owned. So don't judge all winter shoes with such limited experience. So I have to agree with Lombard here -- you chose the wrong winter boot (except that's pretty much all that was on the market when you and I bought them). Make sure they're not a centimeter too big.
    Actually, sizing on the large side is a good idea for warmth. Toe space = insulation.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Actually, sizing on the large side is a good idea for warmth. Toe space = insulation.
    That was a joke, Dumbard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    That was a joke, Dumbard.
    A very stupid joke at that. No need to go back to the 4th grade with this stuff.
    Last edited by Lombard; 04-09-2018 at 11:18 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    Anyone have any experience with the Fi'zi:k Artica R5 winter shoes?

Thanks...