Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sunglasses?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    I buy safety sunglasses in bulk here. They work great for cycling, or just about anything else. Some are less than $6 each. If I lose or damage them....pull out another pair.

Use them for riding, at the beach, on the scuba diving boat, mowing grass, weed eater, anything...

American Safety Eyewear, Prescription Safety Glasses,Polarized Safety Glasses, Bifocal Safety Glasses, Safety Glasses and Goggles
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

My radio control aircraft addiction is fed by: theprofilebrotherhood.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I have a pair of Tifosi with interchangeable lenses. Good, but means I have to wear my contacts. Not necessarily a bad thing, but not always my favorite. I recently got a pair of Oakley flak jackets with prescription road prizm lenses with polarization. These are far superior to the Tifosi even without the interchangeable lenses. I've worn them at dusk and getting dark and while visibility decreases, I could still see fine. No issues not seeing hazards due to polarization.

RoadBikeReview Member
    $40 is ALWAYS too much for sports sunglasses.

I've tried the Aliexpress Faux-kley jawbreakers though. Suffer from the same problem as the real oakley - they are not ergonomic for me. I have some Faux-Pocs too, I like them with clear lenses in winter. Paid about $15 each, which included a handful of lenses and case each

my favs have ended up being the MEC brand sport glasses. Excellent product, always under $40 or $30 (MEC is mtn equip co op in Canada), supported and lens options too.

and of course nothing wrong with tinted safety glasses for $10. Everything is wrong with $200 non-Rx sport glasses!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by igor99 View Post
    I've had good luck with photochromic lenses/glasses from Tifosi,
    I second Tifosi. I have 3 pairs of Tifosi sunglasses with interchangeable lenses. They are the same quality of Oakley, but about 1/3 of the price.
    Fred-li-ness is not a virtue, it's a way of life.

Embark on Fredly endeavors.

30 mpdb
    Rudy Projects all the way. I've owned a bunch of pairs from Smith, Spy, some metal frame Oakleys that don't really count... None of them fit perfectly like RP stuff does, with their adjustable nose pieces and adjustable temples.

I have 4 pairs of RPs: 1st pair were Rydons (mtb). 2nd pair were Ekynox SX's (running, volleyball). 3rd pair were Genetyks(road). 4th pair were prescription photochromic Impulses (when I don't feel like wearing contacts).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    I have the speedcrafts .. the model Sagan now uses. Although the look is kinda funny ( what bike specific ones aren't) I'd wear them over my many pairs of Oakley any day. I don't get the sweat pooling or fog ups that haunt me with my Oakleys

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2015
    I've had a few pair of Smiths that after a few months of use the inner side of the lens, a film that is on them started to bubble and wear off. I don't know maybe my sweat is caustic.

Right now I am using a pair of Native Trangos which have interchangeable lens. It's a brand i had never heard of but i got them on sale and they have been very nice, well built, no issues so far and they are going on there second season.

Neophyte
    Native is a pretty big will known brand. They have good customer service. Most of their stuff is pretty good although I still prefer Smith. I had a pair of Natives that looked great but the way the venting was designed it let sun in if you were not wearing a hat, which kind of defeated the purpose of sunglasses for me.

30 mpdb
    Quote Originally Posted by 50x25 View Post
    I've had a few pair of Smiths that after a few months of use the inner side of the lens, a film that is on them started to bubble and wear off. I don't know maybe my sweat is caustic.
    I think it's common for hydrophobic/anti-reflective inner coatings when they receive "less than adequate" maintenance. I have a pair of RP lenses that have bubbled along the edges and are peeling their way to the center of the lenses. Its likely due to few seasons (spring, summer, & fall) of outdoor volleyball from me sweating on them and not rinsing or cleaning them off as often as I should.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2015
    I have tried a lot and honestly never been unhappy with a pair, including a no name brand I got on Facebook. But for cycling, I think my favorites are Tifosi. Mainly because I bought the photovoltaic ones and they work great for long rides in varying conditions. I would also recommend Spy and Optic Nerve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12