Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunglasses?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017

Sunglasses?

Hi there, wondering what a good brand of sunglasses/ eye protection would be to get? For a while now I've just worn whatever pair of BS sunglasses I had laying around, but with a birthday coming up I'm looking into getting some nicer ones. Thanks for any advice, have a nice day!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravMo View Post
    Hi there, wondering what a good brand of sunglasses/ eye protection would be to get? For a while now I've just worn whatever pair of BS sunglasses I had laying around, but with a birthday coming up I'm looking into getting some nicer ones. Thanks for any advice, have a nice day!
    Maybe it's just my head......but I'd suggest not using recommendations as they can be like shoes in that what's comfortable and fits one person won't for another and visa versa.
    I actually just use my regular glasses with transition lenses....but my comment above comes from recent shopping for glasses and noticing when trying them on in stores that fit varies greatly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Thats a good point, thanks!

Poseur
    Personally, I usually wear tinted safety glasses from a hardware store. They're scratch resistant and impact rated for protection, plus they were only like $10 so it's not a big loss if I break or lose them.
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Smith Pivilocs are nice for riding - no frame up top to block your view in an agressive position. And they can be found on sale often. On sale I'd say they are a good value. Tifos are another option that are popular.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by jjaguar View Post
    Personally, I usually wear tinted safety glasses from a hardware store. They're scratch resistant and impact rated for protection, plus they were only like $10 so it's not a big loss if I break or lose them.
    This, or polarized Faux-kleys off aliexpress. The later usually take a month to ship but you can get 3 pair for $25

Fecal indicator
    I wear Rudy Project Rydon IIs with Rx lenses.

my best cycling gear purchase.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    polarized
    Not smart for riding. Camouflages wet spots, tram lines, manhole covers.

--

I have two pairs of the Assos Zegho, one Noire and one Amplify. Rob a bank. Make that two.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjaguar View Post
    This is a perfect example of the type of bizarre posts that keep the internet entertaining and me coming back. There' nothing wrong with wearing hardware store glasses per se. It's just the casual and straight faced manner in which you threw this out there that got me chuckling.

TravMo, you have Okaley (I'm sure you've heard of that brand). Oakley is a juggernaut and has a bunch of expensively priced options. Then there's Smith which makes the now old but tested Pivloc line. Between these two you can find what you need. If you would like then there are niche brands Bolle, 100%, open Peleton magazine and there are ads for a dozen more.

With cycling glasses I believe points of interest are: coverage, ventilation, lens quality and weight.

Since you are spending money I humbly suggests looking into variable tint photo-chromatic lenses. They're dark in open sunlight but become much lighter when you are on your way home in the early evening or riding under tree cover, or rainy days.
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2002
    FWIW, I will stick to the real thing. I was crashed by a car and ended up on my face. The sunglass frame broke and while I had over 30 sutures from my forehead into my ear, the lenses held together.And while there is no way of predicting an outcome, by looking at how badly damaged the lenses are I believe my Oakley's saved my eyes.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by kbwh View Post

--

I have two pairs of the Assos Zegho, one Noire and one Amplify. Rob a bank. Make that two.

What species of manhole covers and tram lines do you have that are camo'd by polarized lenses?
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Fecal indicator
    my polarized lenses don't limit me from seeing any of those things.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

No lie, man!
    Polarized lenses reduce glare from water (or reflective) surfaces. Any photographer knows that.
    "Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners." - George Carlin

"... we're rewarded for our ruthlessness and reprimanded for our truthfulness..." Aaron Lee Martin

Being in the minority doesn't make you wrong, only unpopular.

Neophyte
    I prefer polarized to non-polarized for riding. That said, I like frames with interchangeable lenses because I often just wear clear lenses but want the eye protection and need wind protection for contact lenses.

Good to have a set of frames, clear lenses, sunglass lenses, and low-light lenses for me anyway.
    Last edited by jetdog9; 04-21-2017 at 06:58 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've had good luck with photochromic lenses/glasses from Tifosi, Smith and Oakley. I've ridden in the dark with them too and no issues with them being too dark. My favorites are the Smith Pivlocks. You can get them pretty reasonable online at Steep and Cheap, Backcounty.con etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Descender
    Oct 2005
    Colorado Cyclist is currently having a sale on Oakley. Good prices on a few closeouts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    I have the Project Rudy Noyz. Bought one because it was on sale.

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008

I concur. I had the same trouble wearing polarized while riding. I went off the road in a shaded spot, that had a dip, on a corner, hit gravel and almost went down. The road lost definition and "shape". Will never wear them again.

There's another thread here on Oakley's New-ish Prizm lenses. I'd look into those.

Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    What species of manhole covers and tram lines do you have that are camo'd by polarized lenses?
    Shiny ones.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maximum7 View Post
    I concur. I had the same trouble wearing polarized while riding. I went off the road in a shaded spot, that had a dip, on a corner, hit gravel and almost went down. The road lost definition and "shape". Will never wear them again.

There's another thread here on Oakley's New-ish Prizm lenses. I'd look into those.
    I agree with the polarized issue, I too wore a pair of glasses that hide the wet spots, dips in the road outlined by road tar seams and manholes covers... I currently wear Project Rudy with clip-in inserts
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Smith Pivilocs are nice for riding - no frame up top to block your view in an agressive position. And they can be found on sale often. On sale I'd say they are a good value. Tifos are another option that are popular.
    I hav the Smith Pivlock arena max. Love them - amazing field of vision, 3 interchangeable lenses, comfortable and less expensive than oakley

Not a climber
    I've never fooled with anything but Oakley.

Flak Jacket: Fire, Black, Clear, Clear-black Transitions
    Racing Jackets: Fire, Clear
    Radarlocks: Road Prizm

Go to a store and try a bunch on and see what frame you like best. Some people are more bothered by seeing the frame in their peripheral vision, I generally don't care. Sweat management is bigger for me and the bottom frame like on the racing jackets traps sweat. No frame on the bottom generally means the sweat can clear itself out. The Prizm lens is awesome, that's my most recent purchase. Fire is great for all around, super bright and relatively low light. Transitions are perfect for evening rides when the sun goes from super bright to dusk.

RoadBikeReview Member
    hahah I have a pair of the Werksmannschaft models. Crazy expensive, but the Zeiss optics make them worth every penny. Zero distortion all the way to the outer edge of the lens.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ToiletSiphon View Post
    I hav the Smith Pivlock arena max. Love them - amazing field of vision, 3 interchangeable lenses, comfortable and less expensive than oakley
    Agree on all counts. Love mine. Also very light weight.

Bill Dobie
    Tifosi. Good and not too expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast