Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 41 of 41
  1. #26
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    28
    I would have to agree with others that 20-25 lbs overweight is not normal. It might be considered normal in America but it's not

  2. #27
    Fecal indicator
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,925
    Quote Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
    I would have to agree with others that 20-25 lbs overweight is not normal. It might be considered normal in America but it's not
    yep, no matter how much they want to think being chunky is 'normal,' they're still overweight.

    just own it...

  3. #28
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
    I would have to agree with others that 20-25 lbs overweight is not normal. It might be considered normal in America but it's not
    Is the OP in America? Who gets to decide what is 'normal' ?

    We've already discussed that BMI is only applicable to certain body types, but even considering that, the OP is at the top end of the 'normal' range for his height on some BMI scales.

    I think the OP's point is, at 5' 10" and 185lbs he is a fairly average sized person for his weight (even if it's not ideal), so why is it so hard to find jerseys that fit?

    This Robert Forstemann. He is 5' 9" and weighs 200lbs. I wonder what his BMI is? I'm guessing the german cycling team gets him his jerseys custom made...


  4. #29
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,376
    The "norm" is a variable.
    Too old to ride plastic

  5. #30
    Fecal indicator
    Reputation: Oxtox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,925
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    This Robert Forstemann. He is 5' 9" and weighs 200lbs.

    there's nothing 'normal' about that dude...

  6. #31
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BCSaltchucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
    I would have to agree with others that 20-25 lbs overweight is not normal. It might be considered normal in America but it's not
    but still a trivial amount overweight

  7. #32
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    there's nothing 'normal' about that dude...
    Other than the size of his freakish thighs, which has nothing to do with jersey fit, he doesn't seem terribly disproportionate to me....

  8. #33
    Not a climber
    Reputation: dcorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,181
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    Other than the size of his freakish thighs, which has nothing to do with jersey fit, he doesn't seem terribly disproportionate to me....
    I'd say he's quite an abnormal body shape for cycling.

    But again, you can see how the stretch of the jersey comes into play. His jersey is super stretched around his shoulders and arms, but loose around the waist. So even he doesn't get the perfect fit. I find tighter jerseys to be better than looser. If you like your cycling clothes loose, you need to buy much lower end brands that cater to that style. If you are looking for high end brands, just buy a bigger size because they don't make anything but race/team fit.

  9. #34
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    4,067
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    finding a jersey with enough length but not too much circumference is difficult. Trying to find a pair of bib shorts that doesn't strangle my cojones​ is even more difficult; finding a pair of bib-tights is nearly impossible.
    I've got the opposite problem -- I'm shorter, but have large shoulders, chest and thighs from weight lifting.

    Boure clothing will do custom clothes for 25% extra. It's owned by Ned Overend in Durango CO. They make nice stuff and its reasonably priced. I recently had them make me a custom jacket and it was perfect. They're nice people to deal with. Other than being a satisfied customer, I have no stake in them.

    Custom Sizing Information - Bouré Bicycle Clothing

  10. #35
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: David Loving's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,935
    Boure is the best. All my stuff comes from Boure.
    Waxahachie, Texas
    Biciclette Gios

    "Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

  11. #36
    I make Eagles fly
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    218
    Oversized is defiantly normal for the US, finding gear at 6'1 170 is not easy. Even just a pair or 32x34 jeans is extremely hit or miss. Reverse that , 34x32 , plenty and everywhere.

  12. #37
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,038
    I just buy stuff from Nashbar. I do not want a team poser jersey so I just wear stuff without all that. However I have had to return more jerseys then I have kept as you never know whats up with fit. I have 2 new jerseys that fit nice that I recently purchased and I just bought a wind breaker that fits not quite optimum but another size would not fix it. I wore it today as it was raining a bit and I like it.

  13. #38
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    21
    I have he same problem with modern jerseys. I'm not over weight (see below), but i just don't want to dress like a sausage wrapped in a billboard. So I've taken to just wearing my running shirts, which are fitted just not skin tight. I just wish they had the pouch that cycling jerseys have.

    And for all of you incorrectly using BMI, you do realize that BMI is not intended to determine an individual's level of fatness. True, it does seem like the average person does use it this way, but remember half of all people have below average intelligence.

    BMI was designed solely for comparing populations (such as city to city or region to region). It works because it eliminates the problem of people with above average musculature, etc by simply averaging them out across a population.

    For instance, I'm 6', 190lbs and 15% body fat, but come in as 'over weight', which is silly.

  14. #39
    Cycling Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,639
    A friend of mine lives in Richmond, VA and after the 2015 World's he found a tent where some of the teams were selling off that year's kits. As he was digging through the choices and "normal" sized American guy who was next to him said "Why don't they have stuff to fit regular people? All these are sized to fit little Spanish climbing monkeys.."
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

  15. #40
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,986
    Quote Originally Posted by RobotGuy View Post
    I have he same problem with modern jerseys. I'm not over weight (see below), but i just don't want to dress like a sausage wrapped in a billboard. So I've taken to just wearing my running shirts, which are fitted just not skin tight. I just wish they had the pouch that cycling jerseys have.

    And for all of you incorrectly using BMI, you do realize that BMI is not intended to determine an individual's level of fatness. True, it does seem like the average person does use it this way, but remember half of all people have below average intelligence.

    BMI was designed solely for comparing populations (such as city to city or region to region). It works because it eliminates the problem of people with above average musculature, etc by simply averaging them out across a population.

    For instance, I'm 6', 190lbs and 15% body fat, but come in as 'over weight', which is silly.
    Dude, yuz fat, just admit it.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

    They have enough in common to blast down it.

  16. #41
    Bianchi-Campagnolo
    Reputation: kbwh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    3,725
    This thread is really ballooning.
    They do anything just to win a salami in ridiculous races. I take my gear out of the car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of those lives shocks me. It was the illest of times, it was the dopest of times. And we looked damn good. Actually the autobus broke down somewhere on the Mortirolo.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. KOM Jerseys?
    By fireplug in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-13-2009, 06:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •