Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Road Warrior

Why no jerseys for normies??

Why is there a lack of great road jerseys for normal size people available at LBSs? Attention store owners, most of us are not a 120 or 150 lbs. I consider myself a normal sized guy (185/5’10”) and hate that most of the Jerseys available in bike stores today are all race fit, even at the larger better stocked stores.. For normal people even the race-fit XXLs look like someone shrink wrapped the stay-puff marshmallow man. Great jerseys are available on-line from companies like Voler and others but why we are not considered part of the market for LBSs. Do bike shops just not make enough money off of jerseys?

Fecal indicator
    fwiw, most BMI charts put you in the 'overweight' not 'normal' category...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Seems just the opposite here. For me anyway. Most jerseys I see in shops fit like I'd fit a t-shirt. Not tapered and lose in all the wrong places for cycling.

I think France and Italy being ground zero for bike clothing fashion/fit might have something to do with tight sizing of particular brands. They're a few years behind the US in accepting the new normal for typical body weight.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2deep View Post
    I consider myself a normal sized guy (185/5’10”)
    That's the problem.
    26.5 BMI isn't normies.
    https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/edu...MI/bmicalc.htm
    Overweight = 25–29.9
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Road Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    That's the problem.
    26.5 BMI isn't normies.
    Overweight = 25–29.9
    Yep, a BMI calculator for a stick man, if you meet normal on that scale you may have to jump around in the shower to get wet!!! , No doubt I could loose a few and I might if we ever experience a beer drought..

BTW, I wonder what percentage of customers would be considered "fat" by that scale..
    Last edited by n2deep; 11-10-2016 at 10:43 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm your size and have found Pearl Izumi large jerseys to be roomier and available locally. I have one but rarely wear it as I prefer an Assos medium.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    That's the problem.
    26.5 BMI isn't normies.
    Overweight = 25–29.9
    Lol. BMI. BMI says I'm obese, but I'm sub 12% bodyfat

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I would venture to say that at most LBS, most of the jersey's are club fit, not race fit, unless you are at a topend shop.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    I would venture to say that at most LBS, most of the jersey's are club fit, not race fit, unless you are at a topend shop.
    That's been my experience too and I live in the Denver/Boulder area which is ground zero in the U.S. for elite endurance athletes. I generally have a harder time finding jerseys that fit as tight as I like and I'm 6'1" and 190ish (also "overweight" but also around 12% bodyfat).

You will definitely have better luck with brands like Pearl Izumi, Specialized, Primal, vs. Euro brands like Castelli, Assos, Sportful though the Assos Mille jerseys have more of a "club" fit. Just for comparison, I wear M in Pearl, Large in Assos, and XL in Castelli and Sportful (one size up in each for bibs - I've got yuge thighs).
    Well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man. - The Dude

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm 6'2.5" tall, 165 lbs. In 'regular' t-shirt sizing, I would be an "MT" size, which seems to be as rare as hen's teeth to find anymore. I'm long in the torso, so while I need uncommonly long and thin tops, I can wear regular 34"x34" pants.

finding a jersey with enough length but not too much circumference is difficult. Trying to find a pair of bib shorts that doesn't strangle my cojones​ is even more difficult; finding a pair of bib-tights is nearly impossible.
    I'm upping my standards;
    Up yours!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Trying to find a pair of bib shorts that doesn't strangle my cojones​ is even more difficult; finding a pair of bib-tights is nearly impossible.
    Get a sewing machine or have a seamstress extend the straps, it is not that difficult. The jersey... u have problem.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    I used to feel the same way as you, until I put in a whole lot of work, got fit, and lost weight. Now I am proud that I can wear Giordana FRC race-cut stuff proudly. Wouldn't have it any other way. If anything, Jerseys and bibs have gotten bigger over the years to compensate for our American middles. 5'10" 185 might be considered the new American "normal", but it isn't. Keep in mind this is coming from a guy that was resentful of the tight jerseys, and was a frequent wearer of PI/Performance?/LG and other club fit type brands.
    2016 Orbea Orca OMR
    2013 Kona Jake the Snake
    2011 Orbea Alma

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Get a sewing machine or have a seamstress extend the straps, it is not that difficult. The jersey... u have problem.
    For the jersey, you get a large so it's long enough, and have the same seamstress narrow it as needed. Trivial problem.
    Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesquire View Post
    Lol. BMI. BMI says I'm obese, but I'm sub 12% bodyfat
    Well that's just it. BMI charts don't take in that someone who is muscular should weigh more than someone else of the same height who isn't muscular. I am 5' 10" and weigh around 170lbs. On the BMI charts, this puts me only within 4lbs. of being in the overweight category. I wear bike shorts that are a medium, but usually wear XL jerseys as I like a loose fitting jersey. I also have wider shoulders, so smaller jerseys bind in the armpits.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    You are dealing with an eating disordered sport. Sure, you can be a cyclist and have a healthy relationship with eating and food and the vast majority of cyclists do. But let's face it, getting better means increasing power to weight ratios. Period. When I was an active speed skater I'd spend 6 months lifting like crazy, squat cage primary and a calorie surplus. I'd get to low 190s and 13-14% BF pre-season. In season I'd quickly drop weight and skate at around 175-180. Since I started cycling my weight is 165 and I don't have a season anymore. I'm around 12% BF. Lowest in August after hardest work through summer, but add mtb and trainer. I don't lift any more I just focus on cycling. If I had more time I would add lifting for general health, as it won't help your cycling much, if at all. I have a freakishly long torso and little short legs. Still, I have had no problem getting kit that fits well. Ask on the forum, you'll get a lot of great info, I have... my Assos bibs fit like they were customs. I have jerseys that are just perfect. I just bought a size L wind shell from Canari and it fits perfectly. You might need to do a little homework but what you want is available, it's just a weight weenie sport. Get down to like 155-160 and stuff will start to fit.
    If I knew then what I know now, I woulda done it anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Seems just the opposite here. For me anyway. Most jerseys I see in shops fit like I'd fit a t-shirt. Not tapered and lose in all the wrong places for cycling.

I think France and Italy being ground zero for bike clothing fashion/fit might have something to do with tight sizing of particular brands. They're a few years behind the US in accepting the new normal for typical body weight.
    New normal? The USA is the obesity capital of the world and has been for awhile.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I feel your pain. I'm 6'5" and weigh 235lbs.

I'm slim in the shoulders, wide at the hips, and have a long torso.

None of the euro brands make anything that fits. For example, Castelli 3xl is too short in length, and too loose in the shoulders.

I've found a few brands that seem to fit better than others. Pearl Izumi, Endura, Primal, and Pactimo come to mind. Unfortunately, other than PI, these are not available in most stores.

And BMI is utterly ridiculous. My own family physician dismisses it as outdated and irrelevant. It doesn't even make a good guideline unless you are of a specific body type.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Every time BMI comes up people start posting about how stupid and irrelevant it is. But you are fighting a straw man. The BMI scale was never meant to be applied to individuals. It was meant to assess populations. It only became popular because it is a very easy calculation to make.
    Just to clarify, I will give an example of how the BMI scale is used. During the 2009 H1N1 influenza "pandemic," it was found that that a large number of the hospitalizations with H1NI flu were people with a BMI of 30 and above. This then led to studies that explored the relationship between obesity and seasonal influenza. So those relatively rare people (compared to the general population) with low body fat, yet in the BMI obese category, do not affect statistics such as these.
    Perception is 9/10 of the law.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahatma Kane View Post
    Every time BMI comes up people start posting about how stupid and irrelevant it is. But you are fighting a straw man. The BMI scale was never meant to be applied to individuals. It was meant to assess populations. It only became popular because it is a very easy calculation to make.
    Just to clarify, I will give an example of how the BMI scale is used. During the 2009 H1N1 influenza "pandemic," it was found that that a large number of the hospitalizations with H1NI flu were people with a BMI of 30 and above. This then led to studies that explored the relationship between obesity and seasonal influenza. So those relatively rare people (compared to the general population) with low body fat, yet in the BMI obese category, do not affect statistics such as these.
    Which is exactly why it shouldn't be used to tell someone who thinks they should be able to wear 'normal' cycling jerseys that they aren't 'normal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    Which is exactly why it shouldn't be used to tell someone who thinks they should be able to wear 'normal' cycling jerseys that they aren't 'normal.
    Agreed
    Perception is 9/10 of the law.

Neophyte
    I'm 5'10" and my weight varies between 175-185, up until the last six months I spent a year plus in the mid-to-high 180s. Almost every single brand's L fits me perfect (including that period where I weighed a bit more), especially Pearl Izumi and Craft. Maybe Castelli usually feels a little tighter than I'd like but it still works. REI Novarra jerseys fit okay.

Maybe you just need to get a little more used to the feel of a road jersey, they are supposed to be a little tight...

Check out Craft.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    I'm 5'10" and my weight varies between 175-185, up until the last six months I spent a year plus in the mid-to-high 180s. Almost every single brand's L fits me perfect (including that period where I weighed a bit more), especially Pearl Izumi and Craft. Maybe Castelli usually feels a little tighter than I'd like but it still works. REI Novarra jerseys fit okay.

Maybe you just need to get a little more used to the feel of a road jersey, they are supposed to be a little tight...

Check out Craft.
    I agree. It really all depends on what you're looking for. I'm 6'3" and weigh 185. I wear large in race cut and yeah, they're tight, but they're supposed to be. Don't want any parts flapping or moving around when they're not supposed to be. If you want something more loose, get club fit stuff or size up.

Not a climber
    Jerseys are meant to be fairly tight to be aero. I don't fit the super slender body type of a cyclist either (5'11", 205), but I hate a flappy jersey. I'd say I'm a normal person and I fit into 'race fit' or 'club fit' Larges and X-larges perfectly. Some jerseys stretch and look better than others. XL Castelli jerseys are a perfect fit for me, I have a few older L's from when I rode more and they are basically race fit haha.

If you want your jersey's to fit like a T-shirt, buy Primal or the low end brands at Performance Bike and the like. But that's not how 'normal' cyclists wear their clothes.

And yeah, BMI is especially ridiculous when talking about athletes . I'm borderline obese by the BMI chart.

RoadBikeReview Member
    BMI is just a data point. It isn't good or bad, it's data. Assigning value to higher or lower is going to have outliers. All (most) data has outliers. Is it a useful data point in aggregate or for the standard deviations nearest the mean? Sure. Should PhDs in public health be going, "ya know, Mike Finch in Springfield lifts weights and has low BF but a high BMI. Let's throw this kind of data out." Obesity kills in a brutal slow and crushing manner. It's awful. It makes smoking look like like an easy out. You can just watch the body slowly collapsing in on itself joint after joint, and the eventual diabetes related complications, congestive heart failure... I don't know the data well enough yet, but perhaps the low BF hi BMI folks are headed toward similar kinds of deterioration? It's a good question at the very least...
    If I knew then what I know now, I woulda done it anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The jerseys that I see when I visit Performance Bike all appear to be for "normies".

Boutique/small bike shops seem to carry very little inventory or what they do carry is race-fit etc.

I imagine they make little on them or people use them simply to try on clothing and order online.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast