Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

KLEIN MC3 Stem

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  leeww 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I was able to pick up a KLEIN MC3 stem for my single speed. It arrived today.
Seems the diameter of the stem is too big for my 1" steerer tube and too small if the 1/8 shim is used.
Can this stem only be used on Kleins?
Thanks
covrc

#2 · (Edited)
Yes, Kleins only. Their proprietary steerer tube diameter is 1 1/16" or 26.7 mm. Don't know if the current crop of Kleins still has that odd-size steerer. Someone will know.

You could make a shim to fit. Klein used to sell the shim you need, but I'm not sure if it's still in their parts inventory.

#5 ·
Try reset racing components for a Klein stem adaptor. I bought mine from there (I converted a Klein stem to a mountain bike steerer)

I suspect you may have to run two adaptors Klein down to 1-1/8 - then 1-1/8 to 1 inch (?)

http://www.reset-racing.com/ (click the pale blue / cyan 'reset' box in the upper left hand corner).

Should also be a very simple shim for your local machine shop to make up for you (don't forget to ask them to put a slot in it to allow it to flex)

Best of luck

Lee (UK)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.