RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

1st month progress update.

Raised my average speed from 9 to 13mph, halved my time on a local 5% avg grade hill, had my first fall and my first metric century. So far so good! I feel better, and have found a great hobby.

Best $700 ever spent

Uber Clyde
    Nice!!! Great progress! I love cracking those milestones.
    Now you've set a bar for yourself!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow sounds great! I'm in my first full season after buying my bike end of last summer. Getting a bit nervous for my first almost century, 148 km, in June. Longest ride so far has been 80 km.

xls
    Rolling Chicane
    Awesome! Keep it up and enjoy! I would like to do a Century this year also.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Congrats Dandar!

I too am about a month in with my new bike. You must be smarter than I, as I have fallen 3 times (none while moving) I have gone from 11mph over 30 miles to 15.5mph yesterday over a 40 mile ride. My goal is a century ride by the end of the year. Setting benchmarks and goals is a real motivator for me. I have not ridden in a group ride yet, Keep it up!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Great job! Keep after it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's quite the accomplishment for the first month. Keep up the training and enjoy the ride.

I know what you mean "Best $700 ever spent". I spent $600 on my bike and bought $100 of accessories and it was the best $700 I ever spent.

I've been cycling for 2+ months and like you am loving this new hobby. I got a new bike computer last week to be able to better monitor my performances. I did 20+ mile ride yesterday with some lengthy hills (one section had 6% grades) that I would have never been able to make couple months ago.

Take Care and keep cycling!!!!!!

Mark
    Bianchi - Infinito - 2012 - Ultegra 6700 Group w/ Fulcrum Racing Zero wheelset

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    First flat yet? I'm still waiting for that one...

Excellent progress!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pmpski_1 View Post

Excellent progress!
    Calling all n00bs - Make sure you give yourself that first flat in your basement/garage.

It's much much better to learn how to change a tube in the comfort of your space rather than out on the road.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pmpski_1 View Post

Excellent progress!
    I had it about 6 miles into my usual ride at 30mph. I heard a pop and then my rear wheel felt as if it was riding on ice. I slowed down, stopped and like a dumba.. proceeded to take the tire off the rim with the wheel and chain still on. Took me about an hour to change the tube with youtube's help.

Got home, and next morning my spare was flat as well. Turns out the oem plastic rim protector which was thin to begin with, got stretched so bad that it exposed sides of the spoke holes. My lbs put velox on both rims and it's been good ever since.

Newb
    Nice job OP. I have about 6 weeks in on my first road bike and am not even close to those numbers. Having a 6 month old doesn't help but now that the weather is truly clearing up here in Michigan I hope to start riding to and from work more often; that will get me to my goals.

Keep it up!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    +1 on fixing your first flat at home or in your garage. Trust me, you do not want to learn how to do that far away from your house, sweaty and tired, on the side of the road with traffic whizzing by.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Question First Month! First DAY!

HI!
    I just purchased a 1980's model Nishiki Marina at a yard sale today with the intentions of cross training for roller derby. I have weak quads that need work to help strengthen my knees. I have many questions about what I am about to take on but I have no idea what to ask first or where to begin. I may have overwhelmed myself, and I am ok with that.
    I can't find any information on this bike that isn't limited to wikipedia, and I have no idea how to do up keep/up date this bike. I have so far lubed most moving parts, but not the cables because I don't know anything about them. I have tightened the brake cables, and I am about to spend my night changing the dry-rotted tires, but I have no more knowledge of what to do.

I plan my first ride being somewhere around 26 miles, I do 6 hours of intense, high impact cardio a week, so I can handle that amount in my area of West Virginia, lots of hills.

Basically if I could be overwhelmed with links to great websites or just advice or jeering it would be greatly appreciated!

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by AVandall View Post
    HI!
    I just purchased a 1980's model Nishiki Marina at a yard sale today with the intentions of cross training for roller derby. I have weak quads that need work to help strengthen my knees. I have many questions about what I am about to take on but I have no idea what to ask first or where to begin. I may have overwhelmed myself, and I am ok with that.
    I can't find any information on this bike that isn't limited to wikipedia, and I have no idea how to do up keep/up date this bike. I have so far lubed most moving parts, but not the cables because I don't know anything about them. I have tightened the brake cables, and I am about to spend my night changing the dry-rotted tires, but I have no more knowledge of what to do.

I plan my first ride being somewhere around 26 miles, I do 6 hours of intense, high impact cardio a week, so I can handle that amount in my area of West Virginia, lots of hills.

Basically if I could be overwhelmed with links to great websites or just advice or jeering it would be greatly appreciated!
    With bikes of this vintage, my advice is to get it in ride-able/ reliable working order and basically ride it 'as is' - as in, no upgrades. Many will not only cost far more than the bike is worth, you're apt to run into compatibility issues when trying to retro fit some newer components. All in all, not a worthwhile endeavor.

I think you're on the right track replacing with 'like parts' where needed - tires/ tubes (I'd replace rim strips), maybe new brake pads, relube the chain, FD, RD and overhaul the hubs, if needed. If the cable housings look ok and the shifting/ braking is acceptable, replacing the cables might be all that's required. If you get more ambitious, disassemble the headset and BB assemblies, overhaul (clean, replace the bearings, re-grease) and reassemble.

I admire your goal to ride 26 miles first time out, but being new to road riding, you may find that while your cardio training will help, you're likely to use some muscle groups not quite used to that level of effort. So take care to avoid overuse injuries.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    Raised my average speed from 9 to 13mph, halved my time on a local 5% avg grade hill, had my first fall and my first metric century. So far so good! I feel better, and have found a great hobby.

Best $700 ever spent
    Holy moly, 13mph for a metric century? Was that a 5 hour ride? That's awesome. I've been at it about 2 months and am also going about 13mph average but can't imagine going for 5 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post

Best $700 ever spent
    Congrats! Bike computer or tracking app on the phone?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    To thatguy57, 13mph was on my local rides not metric century. That was about 11mph moving average.

To joshhan, I use my phone with Mytracks app. I save the gpx file, save it to my computer, then import it to strava.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Cool, I like strava too. I like the segments that you can compare against yourself and others. Usually, I'm at the bottom of the list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Me too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Sounds awesome, great job!