RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012

2013 Madone 2.3 or 3.1?

So I'm considering getting a road bike, as I plan to join my college cycling team this coming fall, and I've been considering the 2013 Madone 2.3 and the 3.1, as both are within my budget of $1.5k - $2k, and (judging from multiple reviews of past years' models) are very good bikes. Truthfully though, I'm at a conflict between the two bikes, as both have their pros and cons between each other (carbon vs alum. frame, etc). I could use some input into making a final decision. Help, please?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    If you intend to race, there will be equipment considerations far more important than the carbon vs. aluminum decision. I suggest you save the money (go aluminum) and put the extra into better shoes and bib shorts. If you're riding with a team you'll be riding a lot, and comfort is crucial.

Not sure what all is in your budget, but it's quite reasonable to get your first full kit going with $1000 in accessories to make good use of a $1500 bike. Having an expensive bike with minimal accessories is all but worthless.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak21 View Post
    So I'm considering getting a road bike, as I plan to join my college cycling team this coming fall, and I've been considering the 2013 Madone 2.3 and the 3.1, as both are within my budget of $1.5k - $2k, and (judging from multiple reviews of past years' models) are very good bikes. Truthfully though, I'm at a conflict between the two bikes, as both have their pros and cons between each other (carbon vs alum. frame, etc). I could use some input into making a final decision. Help, please?
    Once intended use includes competitive/ race scenarios, the adage "don't race what you can't replace", applies. If (or rather, when) you crash and damage a CF frameset, count on (at minimum) repairing it or possibly replacing it - neither option being cheap.

That said, I'd advise staying with an alu frameset. Cheap(er), light and stiff - all the attributes most want at the non-pro (read, not sponsored) levels.

Whatever you decide on, take steps that ensure a good fit, because that'll go further to enhance your performance than frame materials or groupsets will.