RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014

3 Years later, still not riding, and I buy another pawn shop bike.

Just wanted to say "Thank You for looking"

I'm 41 now and bought a 56cm 1999 Cannondale about 3 years ago to see if I liked riding on the road. It was OK I took a 7 mile loop in my area several times but other than riding with my little kids I haven't touched the bike in awhile.

I cant say I ever liked the bike that much as it looked old and really didn't think it fit me right. I think it was a OK size as I took it to a shop once and they made some quick adjustments and said it looked like I fit it fine just suggested ridding more. They also measured it and said it was a 54 so guessing sizing is a little different per brand (Trek Dealer).

I did make a few more changes myself but always wanted to sit more upright. I normally just road on the bars and only moved to shift.

Anyway enough with the old I bought a newer bike from the same pawnshop. Hmm maybe I shouldn't of bought this one either as its a 52cm but its shinny and red. Being 5'9" an I still in the ball park to ride a 52cm? Seems fine to me as I am sitting up more like I want. Let me also stop and say Its a cyclocross bike. Maybe should have mentioned that earlier.

Anyway its a 08 Fuji Cross Pro and almost spotless. Other than some wear on the white bar tape I am surprised of how good of shape it is in. The tire tread is also in great shape and the listed factory tires so unless they changed them with the same it has very low miles. The only part that is not factory is the seat. Cant mid that as they bough one with more cushioning.

So how do I tell if its to small? I think this is totally workable though and feels fine to me. Worse case I am buying a different seat post. I paid $150 for the older R600 105 equipped Cannondale and maybe spent another $30 in parts. Paid $280 for the Ultegra, Dura-Ace equipped Fuji. Do these prices seem reasonable?

Ultimate Goal? 70 miles local trail. Gravel road through game lands. All pretty much flat and would consider making it a day trip not a strait ride.

Hopeful Goal? Ridding more and making any group ride.

Reasonable Goal? Getting in better shape and running my 7 mile loop again.

Suggestions? I really didn't need to be spending as much as I did so unless you know of a $300 new bike that just wasn't a option.

Glad to be excited about this again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    First, let me just say (repetitive) that there is no one more important decision in bike purchase than getting a good fit.

If you are 5' 9", a 52 is too small for you. I am 5' 10 and ride a 56. You are probably somewhere in between a 54 and 56.

Unfortunately, the bike that is closer to your size, the Cannondale, didn't inspire you to ride. I believe the R600 Cannondale is more of a race bike (lower position) than an endurance bike (more upright position). Since you like a more upright position, that is probably why you never felt right on this bike. If riding hurts, you won't continue, period.

The Fuji Cross Pro doesn't really sound like it's right for you either. If it's a cyclocross bike, the riding position will be low. If you want something for riding dirt and gravel with a more upright position, you should be looking for a gravel/adventure bike.

You can certainly try a more upright stem to get your handlebars higher, but that is not an optimal way to make an endurance or gravel bike out of a race or cyclocross bike. Unless you enjoy pain, I doubt you will be riding your 70 mile goal on either of these bikes.

Verdict: Find a good, reputable (different) bike shop and get some good advice on fit. Look at reviews of area shops and email area bike clubs as to which shops are good and which aren't. That shop you went to sounds like they didn't want to spend much time with you. If you want a good fit, you will need to spend somewhere between $100-200 to be fit correctly. Bike shops provide this service for free with a bike purchase, but will charge you if you bring in a bike from outside. When I say a good fit, I mean one where the fitter will put you and your bike on their trainer, watch you pedal and make adjustments to dial in your fit just ride. If all the shop will do is eyeball your height and make some adjustments, move on to another shop.

I say all this because it bothers me that so many people are ill advised and as a result, they lose interest in a sport where given the right advice, they could grow to love.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    The problem with buying from pawn shops is that they only have what they have. If you KNOW it fits you, then OK, take the chance. But you don't know, so you take a shot and it doesn't work. If you went to a bike shop, they would have a selection of stuff that actually FITS you, and works as well.

When you go for low price, this is what happens....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2014
    Sometimes thr higher bottom bracket on a CC bike means you size down. Look on utube for a how to on bike fitting and see if you can get the adjustments close.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcfarton View Post
    Sometimes thr higher bottom bracket on a CC bike means you size down. Look on utube for a how to on bike fitting and see if you can get the adjustments close.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Really? How will a higher BB change the stack and reach of the bike?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnerrabbit View Post
    Anyway its a 08 Fuji Cross Pro and almost spotless.

Paid $280 for the Ultegra, Dura-Ace equipped Fuji. Do these prices seem reasonable?
    Yea. It's not a bad price.
    https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/sear....aspx?id=13508

But it's the wrong size for you. While it may be ok for an occasional 5-10mi ride, "70 miles local trail gravel road through game lands" will not be pleasurable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    If you are 5' 9", a 52 is too small for you. I am 5' 10 and ride a 56. You are probably somewhere in between a 54 and 56.
    Yup. I'm 5'9. All my bikes have been 54, 55, & 56. I couldn't imagine being comfortable on a 52.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I am 5-9 and ride a Cannondale 52. Been on one since 2010 and the fit is perfect. I also have a Colnago 48S as well. Remember that leg length and torso size impact the fit as well. My son rides a 54 and it is too big for sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhSnap View Post
    I am 5-9 and ride a Cannondale 52. Been on one since 2010 and the fit is perfect. I also have a Colnago 48S as well. Remember that leg length and torso size impact the fit as well. My son rides a 54 and it is too big for sure.
    If you are "short legged", often Italian bikes fir better; longer top tube length compared to height.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    If you are "short legged", often Italian bikes fir better; longer top tube length compared to height.
    I am happy with the fit of both bikes. Spend considerable time on frame size before the purchase of each. The Colnago has required a stem change since purchase but that is all. My inseam is 29 but I consider my size average and everyone else is either too tall or short.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnerrabbit View Post
    Anyway enough with the old I bought a newer bike from the same pawnshop. Hmm maybe I shouldn't of bought this one either as its a 52cm but its shinny and red. Being 5'9" an I still in the ball park to ride a 52cm? Seems fine to me as I am sitting up more like I want. Let me also stop and say Its a cyclocross bike. Maybe should have mentioned that earlier.

Anyway its a 08 Fuji Cross Pro and almost spotless. Other than some wear on the white bar tape I am surprised of how good of shape it is in. The tire tread is also in great shape and the listed factory tires so unless they changed them with the same it has very low miles. The only part that is not factory is the seat. Cant mid that as they bough one with more cushioning.

So how do I tell if its to small? I think this is totally workable though and feels fine to me. Worse case I am buying a different seat post. I paid $150 for the older R600 105 equipped Cannondale and maybe spent another $30 in parts. Paid $280 for the Ultegra, Dura-Ace equipped Fuji. Do these prices seem reasonable?
    I'd say that price is a steal. You bought a hot bike. Or someone who parked it for 5 years after riding it thrice sold it to the pawn shop.

Ride the bike as much as you want, change the stem to a slightly longer stem and see if it feels better. Ride some more, then decide if you want to spend a little more and trade in that stolen bike for another bike that fits a little better.
    The internet is a little like a bar, a wonderful place where we can bullsh(t our past, but it also, is full of reasonably reliable sources of information to be used as ammo to call "bullish)t."