RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

About to pick up a KHS, could use a separate set of eyes

Very cheap KHS flite 220

This guy is leaving the country in a hurry, family emergency or something in Pakistan (I talked to him briefly on the phone) and he's letting go of this bike for $390 (I got him down to $375).

I'm gonna see him tomorrow to find out if the stupid thing even fits, texted him tonight about the size and he didn't get back to me, but it was late anyway. So I'm going to give him a call tomorrow morning and see what he says.

If the bike fits, and it shifts, and there's nothing wrong with the brakes or parts etc. I think this may be a good bike for me, a beginner who is looking for a value bike to take out once a week for a one-hour or so rec ride. Commuting is a remote possibility, unlikely for me.

I'm in Toronto for 9 months, and if I buy the bike tomorrow I will literally ride it every other day until it snows. I don't think I can take a road bike out in the snow, but if just one person on here tells me they have and I can, rest assured I will. I'll wipe it down afterward, I'll re-lube the chain, whatever. Med school is done and I want to ride.

After 9 months here, I'm in one place for three years, as a paid, training physician, and I even picked up an interim job in Canada working at a clinic, so I finally have money to be able to buy one of these bikes. There's a bike shop down here called Bike Pirates where volunteer bike couriers help whoever comes in, and they work on donations. I figure I'll ride the hell out of it and then whatever immediate problems occur I can take to those guys, and order parts as necessary. They sort of tell you what to do, and then supervise while you do it yourself. Right now, during interview season and working 20 hours a week, there is just enough time for me to do that sort of thing.

What ...... do you guys ..... think ? I'm willing to risk that the bike might really be stolen and this might all be a scam, I know it happens but after talking to him on the phone I believe it may be unlikely, trying not to sound too naive there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Hi. In your response,I have a KHS Urban xcape 4130 cromo.I love the bike.You can check out their website. The one you are talking about is the Flite 220.Entry level road bike in 6160 Alloy frame with shimano sora.Price new is 599. If its all good,IMO if you are starting then it is a good bike to start and hammer out.Hope it works out for you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    MSRP is 469.00. It would have to be PERFECT before I would look at it, I would not give more than 300.00 for it in Perfect condition used.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You made a post that you were 5'5" about a year ago. Unless you've grown at least another 6" or more I think the frame is too big for you.

What do you guys think of this one?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I just called him about the frame today and he sai it's 55. How did you know?