RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017

Advise me on my First Road Bike!!

Hello , ever since i was young i grew up riding bikes from Walmart, now i want to get my first road bike with drop handles, preferably an endurance road bike because of its comfort. I am 6'2 and 190 pounds looking to use this road bike for exercise, mostly on roads, but it has to be able to handle an occasional gravel, but 90% road. I am considering between the Giant Defy, Cannonade Synapse, Specialized Allez E5, Trek 1.2 and Trek Domane. Im also open to any other options around the 1000$-1500$ USD Range. Thanks so much!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    When you say you will be doing 10% of your riding on gravel, are you content to be rolling gingerly at 10mph or less on gravel or do you want to be able to blast down a gravel road/path?

If the former, any of the bikes you mention above should be able to take 28mm tires, which is fine for that.

If the latter, you will want to look into a gravel/adventure bike that can handle at least 35mm tires. Keep in mind that gravel bikes work fine on paved roads. Check out the GT Grade or Jamis Renegade which are both excellent choices.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger