Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Roadie

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017

Beginner Roadie

Hello All,

I recently purchased a Cannondale Synapse Claris along with a set of Conti Grand Prix 4000s tires. I ordered a set of Shimano clipless from my local bike along with a set of bike tools, pump, tubes, and lights. Fitness has played a big part of my life but due to my recent injuries while I was in the military and from weight lifting, I decided to take up cycling to maintain my health. I come from a football background so I know that being 6ft 218lbs will challenge me during hill climbs. My plan is to cycle at least 4-6 days a week and complete some calisthenics(push-up,pull-ups,etc) 2 days a week. Thanks in advance for any tips or recommendations.
    Beginner Roadie-img_9746.jpg
    Beginner Roadie-img_9742.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Enjoy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Seems like you've got a solid setup, man! I think that bike will fit your needs very well. I've also had some injuries that prevent me from doing many other fitness activities, and biking is one of the few things I can do a lot of and still be able to function enough to participate in the rest of my life. My one piece of advice- keep it fun! You really need to enjoy riding if you plan on doing it long term.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Tires are mounted backwards...not that it matters at all. Have fun.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    Nice Ride !! If you ride that much you wont be at 218 long.
    I ride a Synapse also....I have lost 35 lbs in the first yr of riding.
    Have Fun
    Its a great sport !!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Yeah hey I think your weightlifting/football/military background is a huge asset going forward. Your two days/week calisthenics will be important to not injure yourself while you overdo the bike riding. Seriously. Include core and back. Leg presses along with a few other leg specific spots will serve you well going forward ime as well. Some decent climber twigs I know spend time in the gym all year so take that for what it's worth.

Only other tip is while you overdo it early on and get obsessed with weight...eat enough on the bike so you don't binge when you get back. Cals in cals out. Keep it simple but, fueling on the bike seems to be hugely overlooked by beginners.

I make Eagles fly
    Jan 2015
    Enjoy the new challenge. Also, plenty of mil and veteran cycling groups out there, I've made a lot of new friends

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    May or may not apply but new cyclists, especially weight lifter types, tend do 'grind' and their instinct is shift to a big gear and pedal harder.
    Try focusing on pedaling faster if you find yourself grinding along.

Depending on your schedule and how winters are where you live, a trainer might be a good investment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    The labels are on the right side. Tires are mounted correctly. The rear tire shown has a non-directional tread. So you're right. It doesn't matter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    The labels are on the right side. Tires are mounted correctly. The rear tire shown has a non-directional tread. So you're right. It doesn't matter.
    Wrong on everything- except the probably not mattering.

The tread is not symmetrical, there are labels on both sides, Gp4000 ii tires do have a direction arrow on the sidewall, and op's are backwards.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    The labels are on both sides.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This certainly is a lot of discussion and debate over an issue that "doesn't matter".
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    This certainly is a lot of discussion and debate over an issue that "doesn't matter".
    Isn't that what the internet was invented for? ;-)
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    We are bruised, we are broken,
    But we are goddamn works of art
    Works of art

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Isn't that what the internet was invented for? ;-)

Good point.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    The labels are on the right side. Tires are mounted correctly.
    Conti labels are on both sides. So of course the label will be on the right side.

The rear tire shown has a non-directional tread. So you're right. It doesn't matter.
    Except for the arrow that shows the direction.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    And the reason that arrow is on there is so that retail outlets and the company itself don't get inundated with calls asking which way to mount the tires. Otherwise rotation direction is 100.000% meaningless.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Conti labels are on both sides. So of course the label will be on the right side.

Stunning! Yes, the tread has little shark fins slanted in one direction, away from the direction of rotation as marked! Presumably the tire squishes more decisively along the tarmac, less likely to slip when leaning into corners.

So bike shop mechanics have to be vigilant for such markings and do it the prescribed way! Label always on the right is the first step. If its on both sides, you have to look for an arrow.

In any case, OP, if you want perfection, you'll have to turn that rear tire around.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:25 PM.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Stunning! Yes, the tread has little shark fins slanted in one direction, away from the direction of rotation as marked! Presumably the tire squishes more decisively along the tarmac, less likely to slip when leaning into corners.
    No, I think the shark fin is supposed to slice through the water to make you faster and help you steer.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Welcome, enjoy it man. It's a great way to get/stay fit and can be a ton of fun. You have a good setup already, so just get out and ride. I also recommend keeping in mind that the whole sport isn't climbing and that bigger guys have their place too. Sprinting, crits, and time trials on the flat lands can be a place where they thrive. Keep us posted on your progress.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Welcome to cycling...just go out, ride and have fun. Keep up with your upper body strength. It will help you pull off those tires not using tire irons when you have flats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No, I think the shark fin is supposed to slice through the water to make you faster and help you steer.
    Hey, that too!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017
    Thank you all for the help. I have been riding 5 days a week (Mon-Thurs, and Sat). I've lost 2 lbs so far. I've invested in a bike computer for tracking my rides. My Conti tires do not have a directional arrow.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017
    This was my Sunday morning ride around Okinawa.
    Beginner Roadie-21993116_1834632400181242_3709694179404617306_o.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    FWIW, unless you yourself made that mistake, I'd be worried about the bike shop that assembled this bike. If they can't even mount a directional tire correctly, what else did they futz up?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarlew View Post
    Thank you all for the help. I have been riding 5 days a week (Mon-Thurs, and Sat). I've lost 2 lbs so far. I've invested in a bike computer for tracking my rides. My Conti tires do not have a directional arrow.
    Awesome! Keep riding and have fun!

-- Warren Buffett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast