RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017

Cool Beginners club in Dallas??

Hello everyone,
    I am brand new to the bike world and I am looking to join a beginners club in Dallas. Can anyone please proved information on a club in Dallas?
    Seems everywhere I look its for experience bikers only. Thank you in advance for your time and help!!

Jewels01

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have some suggestions for themes at your meetings:

1) Campy vs. Shimano

2) What is the best chain lube?

3) How can I go faster?

4) Should we wave when we meet on the road?

5) Kickstand: yes or no?
    I'm upping my standards;
    Up yours!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels01 View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am brand new to the bike world and I am looking to join a beginners club in Dallas. Can anyone please proved information on a club in Dallas?
    Seems everywhere I look its for experience bikers only. Thank you in advance for your time and help!!

Jewels01
    Richardson Bike Mart probably has rides or knows of rides in the Dallas area. Lots of cyclist down there. Go to where the riders are and ask around. The organized rides group up in fast, medium, slow speed, so there's always someone to ride with. Beginners are always welcome. Have fun just riding by yourself, too. Those club rides can often times be brutal "hammerfests" as the saying goes, so it helps to know your way home. First goal: get strong enough to stick with the group. You'll never know this until you try it, so ya gotta keep trying. The rewards are great. There's so much a rider can do on the bike, it never gets boring.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    The organized rides group up in fast, medium, slow speed, so there's always someone to ride with. Beginners are always welcome.
    There is "welcome" and then there is WELCOME!

My suggestion is to contact any club you can find listed, and judge by the response. If they are very helpful, that's a good one to try. If they blow you off, or give a minimal response, likely jerks when they ride as well.

Most club rides do group up by speed, but not all clubs have many slower riders. Some will have "slow" or "recovery" or "beginner" or "social" rides specifically.

DFW Bicycle Clubs - BikeDFW has a list, check them out individually from there. Also, many shops hold group rides, of various types. Ask around at shops near you, you might find a good one that way.

Good luck!
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I know some people are anti Performance Bike shops, but they seem to host some pretty good beginner rides from what I can see and they typically have shops in every major city.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    I will definitely take your advice! Really appreciate all the information. I live about 7 miles from White Rock Lake. I will go there as it has a lot of trails I can choose from. Thanks again!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017

Cool

I do believe there is a bike shop off of Garland Rd. I will go by tomorrow see how it goes.
    Appreciate the feed back!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    As mentioned Richardson Bike Mart's flagship store in Richardson has several group rides every Saturday, a couple of which are beginner friendly with ride leaders that will help those new to cycling.

RBM Weekly Local Group Rides - Richardson Bike Mart - Bike Shop - Richardson, Dallas, and Frisco, Texas

Greater Dallas Bicyclists has several group rides, many of which are at a slower/social pace.

Home - Greater Dallas Bicyclists

Plano Bicycle Association also has several group rides throughout the week at various skill levels. Many are beginner friendly with a dedicated ride leader. They also offer courses on group riding for new cyclists.

Our Rides

Shawnee Trail Cycling Club is another club with several group rides of various skill levels throughout the week.

Calendar ? Shawnee Trail Cycling Club

There are several other clubs throughout the area, but starting with these will expose you to much of the DFW cycling community.