Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Last edited by pedalbiker; 1 Week Ago at 03:35 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    deleted- disruptive to thread topic. Sorry guys!
    Last edited by TDFbound; 1 Week Ago at 05:48 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Last edited by pedalbiker; 1 Week Ago at 03:35 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Last edited by TDFbound; 1 Week Ago at 05:49 PM.

Frog Whisperer
    I rode everywhere I needed to go as a kid, it was transportation. At 13 I got my first "road bike". a Schwinn Varsity, 10 speed (5 x 2) and I was hooked, I added a Brooks saddle ( in 1965 and still ride Brooks exclusively). I wore that bike out and then it was stolen in 1973. I spent most of the 70's staring into space and chasing dreams until 79 when I settled down and moved to the upper midwest. I got back on a bike in the early 80's and rode when I could, building a house, a business and a family left little time for recreation. By 93 my youngest was old enough to ride behind me on a kid carrier and after that a trail a bike. My mileage has steadily increased since then and have logged well over 50,000 miles since the mid 90's. I love riding and would pretty much rather be riding than doing most anything else.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Last edited by pedalbiker; 1 Week Ago at 03:36 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Last edited by TDFbound; 1 Week Ago at 05:50 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I re-started road cycling to get in better shape for the ski season. The flat-bar hybrid bike wasn't doing it -- couldn't go very far, so rides got boring.

Drought hit right when I took up cycling (again), and now I cycle much more than ski. Strong cycling scene where I live, so plenty of opportunities for group rides, with welcoming cyclists of all ability levels. I feel lucky.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KojoAkimbo View Post
    I re-started road cycling to get in better shape for the ski season. The flat-bar hybrid bike wasn't doing it -- couldn't go very far, so rides got boring.

Drought hit right when I took up cycling (again), and now I cycle much more than ski. Strong cycling scene where I live, so plenty of opportunities for group rides, with welcoming cyclists of all ability levels. I feel lucky.
    Lemme guess.... Colorado or NorCal?

Jealous. bye!
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 9W9W View Post
    Lemme guess.... Colorado or NorCal?

Jealous. bye!
    Yes, northern California. It's usually nice here.

And to continue more on-topic: wondering what percentage of current "serious" riders had bicycles as children. From the current replies, looks like a lot (most?). I, like many, had a bike as a kid, then again for a short while in college, etc.

Not a climber
    Rode bikes all the time as a kid, rode a bike everywhere on campus while in college. I had been going on long rides in college, but on a mountain bike. Never thought to switch to a road bike until years later when I started hanging out with a guy who rode a lot on the road. Then met other cyclists through friends, so I decided to pick up a road bike off craigslist.

Cycling was fun, kept me occupied after a gf breakup, kept me in shape, and fulfilled my need for speed without having to get speeding tickets in my car. Now that I'm married, I haven't ridden nearly as much because I don't have as much free time, but I hope to change that one of these days with a shorter commute or something.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by KojoAkimbo View Post
    I re-started road cycling to get in better shape for the ski season.
    i couldn't believe how much easier it is to ski a whole day (or 3-straight) after rediscovering road biking as an adult. i can now out-ski my bro, who is 8 years younger.

wish i had biked more throughout my life, especially when i lived in the tennessee valley. the roads are really good there.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12