RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Bike Lock/Bike Security Midtown NYC

OK, so I know bike thieves are a fact of life in this city.

I recently built a Motobecane Vent Noir, with Neuvation wheels, and Rival Component group. I know, for commuting I shouldn't have used race components, but it's the all rounder I wanted. (Anyone else do this?)

I bought a Kryptolok Series 2, I have no clue how useful this may be for the above described scenario. I think this lock is good for my grocery shopping, or coffee shop/errand run that I can have, but for using this on a daily basis for the bike to tie it up in Midtown NYC while I work my 9am-6pm, I don't think this is going to cut it.

Mind you, I have read a couple of posts on bike security here, and the best locks of course seem to be the Beast chain/padlock as well as the Kryptonite NYC series.

I am aware that if a thief wants to steal the bike, he can do it with the right electric tools, and a van. I will be putting this bike in the same spot day in and day out, I just wanted to know if using the already purchased Kryptolock, in combination with one of the before mentioned padlocks, plus pinhead locks components to protect wheels, fork, stem, seatpost, saddle enough to deter?

Anyother NYC commuters have any recommendations?

--Happy Riding!

Edit: Would the Kryptolock and it's flexiChain plus the pinhead locks securing the wheels, headset, seatpost, and saddle be enough? Would it be overkill to get one of the NYC/Best chain and padlocks?
    Last edited by Cuchumino; 05-24-2011 at 10:18 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    You want to leave a nice bike in the same spot for a regular 9-hour period five days a week?

It doesn't matter how well you lock it.

My "security system" was a bike I picked up for $160. Honestly it wasn't worth that, but I didn't want to deal with chasing all over town looking at bikes, so I bought it at a used shop. Frank's (can't remember where that is exactly - kinda Chinatown.) It got beat on occasionally (financial district) but I stored it outside and had it until I moved, at which point I sold it for the purchase price. I used the Kryptonite NY Chain. Thing weighed a ton, but it wasn't so bad when I figured out how I could leave it wrapped around the top tube all the time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I leave mine outside my work daily in Toronto which is really bad for theft as well. I never leave it outside overnight and try to lock it up on busy streets. It's probably worth 300 in my market.

I use a Kryptonite mini. I think it's the series 4. If you can minimize the amount of space inside the lock shackle it makes things more difficult as there's no leverage for a 2x4 or pipe. With an angle grinder...well in the middle of the day on a fairly busy street, chances are slim.
    I also have special skewers and seatpost bolt that take a specific allen-type key so I don't have to worry about my wheels or seat.

Good luck!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks Guys for the replies, additional anectdotes and suggestions are welcome, as well as NYC specific ones as this would help me asses my situation, for long or short extended periods of time with my bike.

From the looks of this, I'm going to have to use this bike for errands and maybe coffee shop runs for a weekend afternoon ride and read (non-concurrent, short periods of time of less than 3 hours).

I don't think I would get another bike, as I already have 2 bikes in my apt, in my room specifically. I think a third one would be overkill.