Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bike on a plane

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Seriously, you can box your bike up, and take it to any FedEx place and have them ship it (overnight, if needed) to your destination for less than 1/4 that amount. Problem solved.
    Very true - if flying within the 48 contiguous states. Even shipping to the two cities most distant from each other shouldn't cost more than $100 (ground, not overnight, so you need to plan ahead). Besides that, I trust FedEx far more than any airline!!!

Edit: Ooops, Bikern, I notice you are from Romania. Where are you flying to? If within Europe (not UK), I'm guessing what I wrote above applies there too.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Edit: Ooops, Bikern, I notice you are from Romania. Where are you flying to? If within Europe (not UK), I'm guessing what I wrote above applies there too.
    Well, there's always DHL over there...

I didn't realize he was in Romania. I guess it's not as much a "1st world problem" in that case, since he comes from a country where it's common to see people bringing their goats onto public transportation....
    I'm upping my standards;
    Up yours!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Well, there's always DHL over there...

I didn't realize he was in Romania. I guess it's not as much a "1st world problem" in that case, since he comes from a country where it's common to see people bringing their goats onto public transportation....
    Now, now. Not nice, No-Time-Toulouse. Are you trying to be the Ugly American?

And BTW, FedEx is worldwide:

https://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/sta...nCountryChange
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post

I t I'm not sure how cannibalism relates to planes or bikes.
    Oh yeah? Tell that to the Andes "Alive" survivors - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alive_(1993_film)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    You can't fit a standard bike of any kind into carry-on size (that's typically 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm). But you can get a full-sized bike into "checked" luggage, which is free on international flights, and only $25 on most US domestic flights. You need to break the bike down into a box or bag that meets the maximum size allowance of (62 inches (158 cm) -length + width + height). Typically, that means a relatively small frame, and a LOT of disassembly. I have two bikes built to do this routinely with frame coupling systems (Ritchey Breakaway, and s&S couplings), and have flown with each dozens of times (both domestically and internationally) at NO EXTRA Charge, as it meets the luggage guidelines.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    for USA riders....

First check out shipbikes.com They are even cheaper than Fed Ex even though they use Fed Ex to ship your bike. I asked them how they can charge less than Fed Ex and their response was "volume pricing". You can price both services using their on-line pricing systems.

They also have some very good bike cartons. I have used several of their boxes and they are much better and easier to use than the box a bike usually comes in (less disassembly required). But check your airline for maximum size as one of their boxes (the triangle one) exceeds most airlines standard total box linear length.

Also for USA travel if you have to fly - use Southwest as they only charge $75.

My experience is that finding a hotel to accept the bike and then store the box is the biggest challenge when travelling.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

Bikeflights.com is another option...

...that also partners with Fedex. I just checked and shipping a road bike from Boston to LA was ~$65 round-trip for 4-day ground service.

Another thing to keep in mind with the airlines, is that if you're shipping more than one bike, a double bike case travels for the same price as a single. I picked up a used one a few years ago that paid for itself in a couple of trips, compared to two, single-bike cases. The only caveat is that the case must weigh less than 100 pounds total, which could be a consideration if you're flying with MTBs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    yup another good company.

$65 seems low for round trip though. More like one way. Fee also varies by amount of insurance you buy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2016

No carry on but...

Quote Originally Posted by kt22mike View Post
    for USA riders.... First check out shipbikes.com
    Thanks for the helpful advice!

Also for US shipping ask around at your LBS. Performance Bikes will also ship from shop to shop at a reasonable rate - especially if you bought the bike or other stuff from them. Performance actually shipped a friend's bike for free to another one of their shops.

If you are doing lots of travel consider a Richey Breakaway bike (e.g., https://ritcheylogic.com/break-away-...frameset-black) They also make a retro fit for steel bikes. Not cheap, but you can pack as regular luggage. I have also seen some bike cases that CLAIM they will be charged regular baggage rates - you might try an internet search.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kt22mike View Post
    yup another good company.

$65 seems low for round trip though. More like one way. Fee also varies by amount of insurance you buy.
    I thought so too, but that's what their site said.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by raincrosswrench View Post
    You can't fit a standard bike of any kind into carry-on size (that's typically 9 inches x 14 inches x 22 inches (22 cm x 35 cm x 56 cm). But you can get a full-sized bike into "checked" luggage, which is free on international flights, and only $25 on most US domestic flights. You need to break the bike down into a box or bag that meets the maximum size allowance of (62 inches (158 cm) -length + width + height).
    Wheels, fork and all the rest can fit easily into a small box, the problem is with the frame: it measures 110 x 62 x 20 cm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikern View Post
    Wheels, fork and all the rest can fit easily into a small box, the problem is with the frame: it measures 110 x 62 x 20 cm.
    At a minimum, a wheel is 24", which means it exceeds carry-on size by quite a bit.

You're really not good at this stuff, are you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikern View Post
    FedEx!!!!!

-- Warren Buffett

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    At a minimum, a wheel is 24", which means it exceeds carry-on size by quite a bit.

You're really not good at this stuff, are you?
    Not good? Naaa he's terrible at this stuff. It's been pointed out numerous times that wheels wouldn't fit in a carry on.

24" (at minimum) would be a kids bike. More likely 26-29" wheels. Just ain't gonna fit.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    BANNED

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12