Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bike on a plane

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017

Bike on a plane

Is there any way to disassemble the bike completely, taking off the fork, in order to get it packed that way to bring it as carry on luggage on a plane? It is ridiculous to pay a 300$ fee!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Of course bikes can be taken apart. If you don't know how to take apart a bike I don't like your chances of putting it back together.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Seriously? You can't look at a bike and see that all the components bolt/screw together, thus can be taken apart.
    How do you possibly think you could fit the frame or wheels into a carry on bag?

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Its so frustrating, its a crime and collusion between airlines and shipping companies. Why its almost free on a train and so expensive on a plane, does a plane suffer from slightly oversized luggage? So if you want to transport a bike to another country you have to pay almost the cost of the bike itself.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikern View Post
    Its so frustrating, its a crime and collusion between airlines and shipping companies. Why its almost free on a train and so expensive on a plane, does a plane suffer from slightly oversized luggage? So if you want to transport a bike to another country you have to pay almost the cost of the bike itself.
    Sorry comrade but last time I checked charging for a service wasn't a crime.

And you need to get better with Google if you think $300 is the only choice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Seriously? You can't look at a bike and see that all the components bolt/screw together, thus can be taken apart.
    How do you possibly think you could fit the frame or wheels into a carry on bag?
    Frame is slightly bigger than the wheel; it all fits onto a compact box maybe a little bigger than a standard suitcase. The most annoying thing is that people put in them a lot of weight for free, while a bike weighs so little.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Sorry comrade but last time I checked charging for a service wasn't a crime.
    Slaughtering and using poor for food or decoration isnt a crime either. Didn't you know?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Frame is slightly bigger than the wheel; it all fits onto a compact box maybe a little bigger than a standard suitcase. The most annoying thing is that people put in them a lot of weight for free, while a bike weighs so little.
    You can't fit a wheel into a carry on bag. It won't fit in the overhead or under the seat.

Its so frustrating, its a crime and collusion between airlines and shipping companies. Why its almost free on a train and so expensive on a plane, does a plane suffer from slightly oversized luggage?
    Yes a plane suffers from over sized luggage. Their fees are less about making money from your luggage and more about dissuading everyone from bringing oversize luggage. If everyone did it, it'd be a logistical nightmare. And that's what costs money.
    The baggage system isn't designed for over sized and odd shaped luggage. Baggage handlers have to be more cautions with it. Loading the plane becomes more tedious. And the likelihood of damage increases dramatically.
    It's much easier and faster if all the luggage is squares and rectangles that they can throw around and stack.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Slaughtering and using poor for food or decoration isnt a crime either. Didn't you know?
    You might also want to know that generally recreational drugs are not allowed on planes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    You might also want to know that generally recreational drugs are not allowed on planes.
    How does this relate to the topic being discussed?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    How does this relate to the topic being discussed?
    I think it relates as this does....

I take that back.... it relates more since it's advice regarding planes and carry on's. I'm not sure how cannibalism relates to planes or bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I take that back.... it relates more since it's advice regarding planes and carry on's. I'm not sure how cannibalism relates to planes or bikes.
    It relates that way that bike travellers who dont have much money should be allowed to bring their bike as carry on, for free. Ordinary passengers load 60 kg of different rubbish in their suitcases for free or sometimes are charged small overload fee.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It relates that way that bike travellers who dont have much money should be allowed to bring their bike as carry on, for free. Ordinary passengers load 60 kg of different rubbish in their suitcases for free or sometimes are charged small overload fee.
    Ah, the air of entitlement! Such an odious scent. You do realize you're bemoaning your financial position whilst at the same time asking that those tasked with handling your oversized, recreational gear get paid the same amount for handling it versus less bulky items? You no doubt realize that oftentimes a heavier tote in a smaller form factor is easier to handle than the larger, lighter item. No, of course you don't. You just want what you want, for free.

I've paid far less than the amount you've stated while travelling, and that's with a bike bag, which incidentally automatically tacks on a fee as 'sports equipment.'

I'm sensing troll, but I'll roll with the fun. For now.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    It relates that way that bike travellers who dont have much money should be allowed to bring their bike as carry on, for free.
    Well gee.... you shouldn't have to pay for your flight either... since you don't have much money.

And.... YOU CAN'T TAKE YOUR BIKE AS CARRY ON!!
    It won't fit in the over head or under the seat.

You haven't ever flown before have you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    Ah, the air of entitlement! Such an odious scent.
    I was only making a point that as a result of unreasonable regulation travelling with a bike is not an option for a certain segment of population; someone who has hardly scraped money for a simple bike and an economy ticket will not bear anything more than that. If you are able to pay 150$ x2 fee, you most likely would not sleep in a tent and use rest room under the sky, you would go to a hotel and pay around that amount for every night. Here (im not from us) some years ago it was free to go with bike on a train, bicycles saved legs of those who couldnt afford a bus; but when a fee was implemented (equal to the cost of ticket), for someone who could hardly make ends meet under previous rules it became impossible under the new ones. A person with no money is still a source of labor and would be willing to offer that instead of paying.

RoadBikeReview Member
    [QUOTE=bikern;5159140]Is there any way to disassemble the bike completely, taking off the fork, in order to get it packed that way to bring it as carry on luggage on a plane? It is ridiculous to pay a 300$ fee!

"I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    [QUOTE=ROAD&DIRT;5159301]
    Is there any way to disassemble the bike completely, taking off the fork, in order to get it packed that way to bring it as carry on luggage on a plane? It is ridiculous to pay a 300$ fee!

Yes, well, except for the wheels, oh yea, the frame. And maybe the fork. But maybe you could do it!~

What if you used really small wheels, like from a grocery cart, then you could just raid the local grocery when you get there!
    BANNED

JSR
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006

a real member's member
    "I have had it with these mother******* bikes on this mother******* plane!"

no... it just doesn't have the same ring to it.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you cut the top tube and the down tube in half, you should be able to fit it in a box that is not oversized. If you want it to fit in a carry-on, well you'll have to do more cutting to fit the frame and wheels. When you arrive at your destination, I bet you can find a blacksmith to weld it back together for way less than the $300 dollars that the evil plane people charge. That's the way they did it in the 19th century, I hear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    All trolling aside, why don't you just make this simple. Just fly out to where you are going and rent a bike out there. It will be much cheaper. Granted, it won't fit like a glove the way your own bike does, but here is my take:

1) Unless you own one of these:

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...ADkQ8wIIxgMwAA

....there is no way you will be allowed to carry it onto the plane.

2) Considering all the lost, damaged and misdirected checked baggage on planes, there is no way I would trust them to handle my bike, period.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Man, talk about a "first world problem"........

Seriously, you can box your bike up, and take it to any FedEx place and have them ship it (overnight, if needed) to your destination for less than 1/4 that amount. Problem solved.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2009
    Crap. I thought this was going to be a thread about a new movie with Samuel L Jackson and some poisonous and deadly bikes on a plane.
    To those in uniform, both present and past, who have protected my freedoms, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

My radio control aircraft addiction is fed by: theprofilebrotherhood.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't want no muthaf***ing bikes on no muthaf***ing plane!!!
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast