Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006

Bike Shop Haggling Advice Needed! 2011 Cannondale Synapse

Hi All,

Im looking for a little advice on what's fair for both my LBS and me. I've been in the market for a new Cannondale and came across a 2011 Synapse w/105 at my LBS. Talked with the guy at the shop and he mentioned that they could probably knock 10% off if that's the one i wanted. Retailed for $2150.

It's been test ridden, and they didn't have a 2013 in my size. I dont mind it being ridden and maybe not cosmetically perfect, but 10% seemed a little stingy to me...

I've had work done and bought accessories from this shop and like the guys for the most part, so I dont want to go too far in asking for a discount.

What do you think is fair?

Thanks in advance!!

-Shawn

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigD77 View Post
    Hi All,

Im looking for a little advice on what's fair for both my LBS and me. I've been in the market for a new Cannondale and came across a 2011 Synapse w/105 at my LBS. Talked with the guy at the shop and he mentioned that they could probably knock 10% off if that's the one i wanted. Retailed for $2150.

It's been test ridden, and they didn't have a 2013 in my size. I dont mind it being ridden and maybe not cosmetically perfect, but 10% seemed a little stingy to me...

I've had work done and bought accessories from this shop and like the guys for the most part, so I dont want to go too far in asking for a discount.

What do you think is fair?

Thanks in advance!!

-Shawn
    Yah, 10% is a little cheap. Offer them 75% and have the cash in your hand right then and there.
    If they want your business you will be able to work a deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Yah, 10% is a little cheap. Offer them 75% and have the cash in your hand right then and there.
    If they want your business you will be able to work a deal.
    Tell 'em to take 20% off and you've got a deal!
    A chromoly steel bicycle will last just as long as titanium, if kept dry.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Around here the shops take about 10% off their newest bikes so I'd expect him to go quite a bit lower.

It costs him money to have that bike sitting there and the older it gets the harder it is to sell.
    Ride it then go over it really well looking for scratches or imperfections. I'd start with an offer of $1600; that's a little more than 25% off.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013

Re: Bike Shop Haggling Advice Needed! 2011 Cannondale Synapse

Most of my local shops would knock off way more than 20% for a two year old floor model.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011

I got about 20% off my 2011 Tarmac in September 2011.

You can do better. Agree with prior poster. Offer 75% or less.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Discounts really depend upon several factors. One LBS might be quite different from another in terms of things like overhead, inventory, and how affluent the area might be. If you're the owner of a small shop in an economically depressed area, most likely you're just barely hanging on and won't feel too eager to allow for a liberal discount. Even if you're a large LBS with a huge inventory, if you're not selling any bikes or that many accessories, large discounts would seem just a tad unreasonable, I'm sure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I bought my 2012 Tarmac in Dec...it technically was a 2012 model purchased in 2012 although the '13 models were out. I managed to get more than 25% off (retail $2750...got it for $2050). It was not a floor model and actually had to be ordered from Specialized.

In other words...if 10% is all your LBS is willing to do on a '11 floor model, I'd tell them where to stick it...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks for the advice so far! Sort of the way I felt...for a 2 year old floor model with 2014's getting ready to come out, 10% just seemed too steep.

This is a busy shop which sells a fair number of bikes. They carry Cannondale, Trek, Cervelo, and Seven. They probably have 80-90 bikes assembled at any given time and are constantly re-merchandising. There must have been 25 people shopping while I was in there today as well as someone being fitted. I cant imagine their overhead being that huge, given the location and staff...but then again, I don't do their books.

I'm going to go for a test ride on Monday and if I like it, the $1600 mark seems like a fair place to start. For me, $1750 would be my dealbreaker number...that's a little less than 20% off. I also like the idea of taking the 10% but asking for some accessories (like a new saddle).

Cycling induced anoesis
    Considering this...

"Talked with the guy at the shop and he mentioned that they could probably knock 10% off..."

... and the fact that the bike is (effectively) three model years old, I think the shop is being unrealistic in the bikes market value.

Nothing wrong with negotiating, so don't be bashful about doing so. I'd start at 25% off and explain why I was slow in upping my offer - mainly, a demo'd '11 model.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    Nothing wrong with negotiating, so don't be bashful about doing so. I'd start at 25% off and explain why I was slow in upping my offer - mainly, a demo'd '11 model.
    Yes, I didn't explain it well in my other post but you want to look for scratches or marks to use as negotiating tools.
    Find every imperfection you can: crankarms often get scratched by shoes, downtubes get paint chips from stones, etc.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Remember- the key to negotiating is to be simply willing to buy a bike somewhere else. So, really, you need some comparables - bikes elsewhere that you'd be happier buying if they don't give you the price you want on the Cannondale.

If there's nothing in the town you'd rather have, the simple fact is that the Cannondale is more valuable to you because of that, and in the end, you shouldn't sweat over a couple hundred dollars.

If there are other options at prices you like better, the Cannondale is worth less to you. These are just facts you need to keep in mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bigD77 View Post
    Thanks for the advice so far! Sort of the way I felt...for a 2 year old floor model with 2014's getting ready to come out, 10% just seemed too steep.

This is a busy shop which sells a fair number of bikes. They carry Cannondale, Trek, Cervelo, and Seven. They probably have 80-90 bikes assembled at any given time and are constantly re-merchandising. There must have been 25 people shopping while I was in there today as well as someone being fitted. I cant imagine their overhead being that huge, given the location and staff...but then again, I don't do their books.

I'm going to go for a test ride on Monday and if I like it, the $1600 mark seems like a fair place to start. For me, $1750 would be my dealbreaker number...that's a little less than 20% off. I also like the idea of taking the 10% but asking for some accessories (like a new saddle).
    Good Idea! Start with the $1600 (actually show him sixteen Benjamins). If he sounds like he's hesitant, then increase your offer by fifty bucks. If he still balks, then continue to gradually increase your offer by fifty bucks, like every five minutes, until you get to $1750. IMHO your final offer should be something like $1850 OTD. Whenever he gives you a bargaining price, just say, "Ok, out the door!"...At least that way, he'll eat the tax!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Seems high. I recently bought a 2012 Fuji Altamira for way below MSRP. It was originally marked $2299, then down to $1899 and I got it for $1399 and they threw in shoes, pedals, computer, lights, a bottle cage and 2 pair of riding shorts.

Also of note, this bike should have had a black/red frame, but the shop damaged the frame at some point while it was in inventory and the frame was replaced with an all black frame. That seemed to turn off some people but I ended up with a great deal

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeet View Post
    Good Idea! Start with the $1600 (actually show him sixteen Benjamins). If he sounds like he's hesitant, then increase your offer by fifty bucks. If he still balks, then continue to gradually increase your offer by fifty bucks, like every five minutes, until you get to $1750. IMHO your final offer should be something like $1850 OTD. Whenever he gives you a bargaining price, just say, "Ok, out the door!"...At least that way, he'll eat the tax!
    Yeah, if you show him a pimp wad of cash he'll be super impressed! Then imagine how much more impressed he'll be when you pull another crumpled up bill out of your pocket. Add to that the ability to repeat this gesture every five minutes for 10 minutes... a staggering demonstration! A shop owner has probably never seen so much actual currency in his whole life. If he doesn't faint dead away on the spot, the bike will be yours!

PS - be sure to refer to the bills a "Benjamins" as that will communicate to the shop owner that you are super financially saavy, and that he shouldn't try to pull any fancy tricks on you.

:-)
    "It ain't a teacup that the Queen gave you - it's a bike. Ride it!"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013

Discounts really depend upon several factors. One LBS might be quite different from another in terms of things like overhead, inventory, and how affluent the area might be. If you're the owner of a small shop in an economically depressed area, most likely you're just barely hanging on and won't feel too eager to allow for a liberal discount. Even if you're a large LBS with a huge inventory, if you're not selling any bikes or that many accessories, large discounts would seem just a tad unreasonable, I'm sure.
    If you're just hanging on, one factor could be poor inventory management-- like tying up capital in stock that won't sell.

mtnroadie
    I was in the similar situation as you. Just bought a bike at a bike shop for big wad of cash. Donít be afraid to haggle. Ask what the best they can do for you is? Then offer less in cash, play the game. I hate playing it but it needs to be played.

Beware there are a lot of fussy bike shops out there who will throw a hissy fit, they do not deserve your or any business in my humble opinion. I went way out of my way into the next-door tax-free state to look at a bike, just not to shop at a bike shop that treated me wrong years ago. It is amazing how some bike shops will treat customers, bad press/word of mouth can do a whole lot more damage then most realize. Just like good press can be a solid foundation for a successful business.

I tried to buy at a big LBS where I know the owner and I have been loyal to for a while. I laid out all the options I was looking, different bikes, switching around parts etc. The guy got a feel for what I was willing to spend and tried to milk me for every last penny I had and then some. He lost the sale, pissed me off and lost a loyal customer. I went to quite a few over the past month, some are willing to play ball just a bit, some are condescending dirt bags, some will try to rob you blind, some will actually have some smoking deal on something you were not even considering, some will actually play ball for real and give you the smoking deal you are looking for.

Donít let anyone know how much you are actually willing to spend. Donít let anyone pressure you into a sale. They need you way way more than you need them. Bike shops need to know their place.

Having said I used to buy only online, but in the past year or two I have been trying to buy local as much as possible. More often than not it makes more financial sense. Some bike shops are catching on and pricing products in direct competition with online retailers.

FWIW I bought my carbon Scott CR1 with 105 for $1400 when the MSRP was like $2100, all because of a little scratch on the top tube.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vmps View Post
    If you're just hanging on, one factor could be poor inventory management-- like tying up capital in stock that won't sell.
    There are indeed many variables to consider...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RJP Diver View Post
    Yeah, if you show him a pimp wad of cash he'll be super impressed! Then imagine how much more impressed he'll be when you pull another crumpled up bill out of your pocket. Add to that the ability to repeat this gesture every five minutes for 10 minutes... a staggering demonstration! A shop owner has probably never seen so much actual currency in his whole life. If he doesn't faint dead away on the spot, the bike will be yours!

PS - be sure to refer to the bills a "Benjamins" as that will communicate to the shop owner that you are super financially saavy, and that he shouldn't try to pull any fancy tricks on you.

:-)
    Of course, this guy has seen stacks of bills before, as he's a businessman. However, the actual sight of cash does actually physically excite certain people. Especially certain specific business people. Human beings are quite naturally impressed with money, wealth, and status. We quite often like to display our wealth in the form of lavish homes, expensive toys, and fashionable clothing. For most of us, seeing a stack of cash, never gets old. It elicits the same response we exude when we see a familiar face driving a brand new Lamborghini or Rolls Royce. I paid cash for my home and got an 18% discount from a wealthy broker. Using the "Pimp" vernacular most probably won't get you very far. However, everybody understands the "Benjamins"!

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Of course, this guy has seen stacks of bills before, as he's a businessman. However, the actual sight of cash does actually physically excite certain people.
    Yah, I see that much cash and I find it difficult to sit for a few minutes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Yah, I see that much cash and I find it difficult to sit for a few minutes.
    Yeah, that's why I stopped going to stripper bars!

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Yeah, that's why I stopped going to stripper bars!
    Were you a patron or employee?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Were you a patron or employee?
    Have you already forgotten all the dollar bills I've thrown your way? Me and the boys used to have such good times with you! OMG! How soon you girls do forget!?! You were such a good looker back then! So ah...How's the kids?

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Have you already forgotten all the dollar bills I've thrown your way? Me and the boys used to have such good times with you! OMG! How soon you girls do forget!?! You were such a good looker back then! So ah...How's the kids?
    Sorry,

You must have me confused with someone else with an adams apple and mustache.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Sorry,

You must have me confused with someone else with an adams apple and mustache.
    No, Tihsepa! That Adam's Apple and moustache quite naturally came, after your gender reassignment surgery. You can't hide the past with gender reassignment!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast