RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018

To Buy or Not To Buy!

Hi everyone,

Need some help with a used bike purchase. I'm new to road bikes, and I'm purchasing one mainly for a sprint triathlon, and likely for further riding/getting into the sport from there.

I was hoping to spend around $500 for a nice used bike.

I can across this one: Louis Garneau Axis SL2
    It's a large (I'm about 5'10"). Previous owner says its in great shape, approx. 2700 km since Summer 2016.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-road-bike/ci...ationFlag=true

He's willing to do $500. Do you think I should pull the trigger?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Ideally looking for some advice on the value of the purchase. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I turn (sell) a fair amount of my gear usually within a couple years. Generally, I try and get half what the original MSRP was. Obviously, some gear, whether a wheels set or a complete bike to a cassette will be priced slightly more or less than half MSRP. For example take a cassette. If I'm selling it it's probably near the end of it's useful life and I'd sell that for much less than half. OTOH If I were to sell the Enve carbon wheels set that I just purchased this year I'd price it for much more than half MSRP.

In your case if $500 is close to half MSRP and the bike is decent shape as it should be with only 2700km then it's a good buy imho.

Inching to 1000 (again)
    I can't speak to the value, but you have to make sure it's sized properly for you. At your height, you could be either a medium or large. Depends on the actual size of the frame in cm. Test ride of 20-30 minutes should give you an idea.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Chance View Post
    I can't speak to the value, but you have to make sure it's sized properly for you. At your height, you could be either a medium or large. Depends on the actual size of the frame in cm. Test ride of 20-30 minutes should give you an idea.
    Really? You think a test ride will tell someone that's completely new to road bikes whether this bike fits or not? Ok...
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I am sure you have made up your mind by now, but as others have said, fit is the only real issue to be concerned about here. If you can have someone experienced with road cycling take a look at you on the bike, that might at least help some. If you can't do that, here's a link that includes the geometry for the bike. Run those numbers and your body dimensions through an online fit calculator and that should at least provide you with a general idea of whether it's a good idea or not. There are plenty of bikes out there on closeout in that price range if it doesn't fit, so don't feel pressured to close the deal.

https://cdn1.garneau.com/media/wysiw...compressed.pdf

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...ulatorBike.jsp

SetTheBike - Fit your bike in a few simple steps
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    S, M, L, etc., are really arbitrary sizes and one company's Medium is another's Large. This is more commonly used with mountain bikes than with road bikes. Websites that calculate your size are only giving you a ballpark figure.

I am 5' 10" with a 32" inseam and I generally take a 56cm frame in road bikes or a Medium in mountain bikes. I am thinking a Large may be too large for you.

I strongly suggest you take this bike to a bike shop and have them assess whether it's a good fit. They can also check for any dealbreaking damage. Even if they charge you, it won't be a whole lot and it's worth it to prevent you from making a $500 mistake.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Chance View Post
    Really? You think a test ride will tell someone that's completely new to road bikes whether this bike fits or not? Ok...
    Read next time.