RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

choosing a taillight

Last night my Tuesday eve group ride ran a bit long, and we got caught out at dusk. Mandatory "blinkies" for next weeks ride are required. I went through a few reviews on the net, and wonder about "obnoxiousness" of the newer strobe effects during a group rides vs. safety of them when riding alone.
    Also it seems that the USB rechargeable units are not reliable. Any comments wrt group ride situations, long term reliability, mounting (so it doesn't fall off & break) etc. etc. are most welcome to help me decide. I'm thinking about either the Bontrager Flare 3 Taillight, or the Blackburn's Mars 3.0.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    I bought one that uses a AAA battery. I don't need another rechargeable item (iPad, phone, mp3, etc. where does it end?). I dont have to worry about a dead light right before a ride. It was $15 and it's plenty bright. Mounted on my seat post.

And btw, I use my light in the daytime too. Additional visibility can't hurt.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Planet Bike's Super Flash (AAA battery) is a great light and we have them on a couple bikes.

I also have a CygoLite Hot Shot, which is a USB rechargable unit. It has been okay, but did have an issue when I got caught in rain. It required opening the case and spraying with WD-40 to get working again.

I ride 3 days a week with a group at 5:15am. 1/2 the year it is dark when we ride. Strobe effect is not bad.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

Old Cateye has been durable

The models you mention are probably very good products.

I know this might sound hard to believe, but I have been using the same Cateye seat-post mounted rear light for over 14 years. I am amazed that the snap-on red plastic reflector has never popped off when hitting potholes and other bumps in the road. It uses a pair of AAA batteries and has never failed me. I do not recall ever changing the bulb.

It has been in use riding more than the circumference of the earth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I like this one:

Serfas TL-ST Seat Stay Rear Bike Light - Black/Red at REI.com

Super bright and obnoxious (which is what I'm looking for in a light). Also super easy on/off which is also very important to me since I don't like keeping a light on my bike all the time.

I either attach it to my seat post (Roubaix) or mono-stay (Ridley). Only thing to be aware of is you don't want to leave it on your bike if you keep your bike in your hot car during the day. The little bungee straps don't respond well to high heat.
    A road bike needs disk brakes like a fish needs a bicycle (with apologies to Ms. Dunn)

Wave, dammit!
    I'm a fan of the Cherry Bomb by Nite Rider. It's very bright and runs on AAA batteries.
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Planet Bike Superflash and it's variants are all very good except that they crap out when they get wet. I've been through a few of them. The Portland Design Works Danger Zone is much better in this regard, as is the Cherry Bomb. Both of those are about as good as cheap blinkies get. The others I've tried are either a lot heavier or a lot dimmer or both.

If you absolutely want to be seen no matter what, get a Dinotte. Not cheap, but durable and a whole other category of visibility. Certainly in the category of "obnoxious".

RoadBikeReview Member
    I bought a head and tail light from Torch Lighting Systems today because I am planning on doing a few early morning test runs. Not sure of the quality, but they were reasonably priced and they seem bright. Plus it gave me the chance to support my LBS with a quick cash sale.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I bought the mars 3.0 14 bucks shipped off amazon - how can you beat that? That and the bell ipulse for 18 shipped.

Thye only thing

save the seatpost mount for the blackburn and use it on your handlebars for the ipluse. the ipulse mount is too small for road bike handlebars

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    i wonder how people adjust saddle bags and tail light together. any tips?

Hint: "A picture is worth a thousand words"
    Thanks in advance

RoadBikeReview Member
    There is a little tab on the back of my bag that the light clips on. No pic's s- sorry

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabedad View Post
    There is a little tab on the back of my bag that the light clips on. No pic's s- sorry
    Mine too and the Mars has a clip that fits right onto it.

http://media.performancebike.com/ima...LK-MOUNTED.JPG

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    ok, thanks for your replies..will check mine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    FYI, I use both the Planet Bike Superflash and a PDW Radbot. I opened each case and put silicone vacuum grease on the seals where they close to keep the water out. They've held up good in rain, never had the problems other people had with water infiltration.

I also have one of the Magicshine tail lights which is much brighter, but the mount for it stinks so I rarely use it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I settled on the Mars 3. Clips right onto my saddle bag and has a good choice of flashing styles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    okay, thanks. I checked mine.. it does have a place to hook tail light too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    tony - do you ride with goodales on thursdays?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    knog frog, light and simple, easy to throw in your pockets.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by milkbaby View Post
    FYI, I use both the Planet Bike Superflash and a PDW Radbot. I opened each case and put silicone vacuum grease on the seals where they close to keep the water out. They've held up good in rain, never had the problems other people had with water infiltration.

I also have one of the Magicshine tail lights which is much brighter, but the mount for it stinks so I rarely use it.

I, too, use the Portland Design Works Radbot 1W and also have the PB Superflash

Both are excellent! I do however prefer the PDW Radbot.

I feel it is much brighter and the patterns are much more obnoxious... More obnoxious patterns... The more likely you will be seen by motorists

Portland Design Works 1W Radbot

RoadBikeReview Member
    I use the 1 Watt Cherry Bomb, uses 2 AAA, you may either leave it on solid or flash mode, It is a bright light.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Tuesdays!