RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011

Cool Coach me on how to ride a pace line.

Ok, so I'm comfortable drafting or riding with other cyclist what are the at close proximity, but what are the do's & don'ts of riding in a pace line?

Thanks.
    Last edited by razredge; 06-06-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Fecal indicator
    don't stare at the wheel in front of you.

don't be a squirrel; make smooth, predictable movements.

don't amp up the pace when it's your turn to pull.

pull off before you're out of gas or you'll have a tough time hanging on.
    eff all y'all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    Don't pull off into the path of an oncoming car.

Don't overlap the wheel in front of you. Some good ways to control your speed are sitting more upright, drifting to the side (don't take out the guy behind you doing this!) or using the rear brake. The front brake lightens up your rear wheel and can make it do some weird stuff that's disconcerting for the person behind you, while feathering the rear doesn't tend to do this. The other two things are ways of pushing a little more air. The point fits in with keeping your movements smooth and predictable.

I sometimes shift down a gear when I pull, so cadence isn't a great indicator that I'm not messing with the pace. I try to glance at my cycle computer before the guy at front rotates out, so I can just maintain that speed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the input....
    I try to point out the road hazards as we go, but I find that hard to when I'm the 2nd or 3rd rider and have to keep both hands on to maneuver around the hazard (any tips on this...other than keeping my head up and not staring at the guys rear wheel in front...look over his shoulder maybe??)

Also, whats the best way to slow down if your starting to overlap wheels? I can feather the breaks lightly, but don't want to cause a crash.

I'm guessing the group slowly finds a rhythm in taking turns pulling...in which case stick to this rhythm when its my turn to pull, right?
    But what if you can pull longer and want to speed up the pace....then what?

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I ride with the same group 3-4 times a week and there are a few things that newbs do that will not get a good response.

1. Easy on the breaks. Don't use your breaks unless you 100% need them. If the group slows and you are in danger of crossing the person in front, slowly move to the left or right of the persons wheel then get back on the wheel in front when you are at equal speed.

2. If you feel comfortable pulling on the front don't accelerate when it's your turn. Keep a steady pace. A turn on the front isn't a chance to show the group how fast you are. Leave that for sign sprints. You will upset the group if you accelerate rapidly because the guy that is dropping off will have a greater chance to get dropped. Especailly keep this in mind into a strong headwind. An irregular pace into a headwind will shatter the paceline.

If you don't feel comfortable being on the front at the groups speed then when it's your turn on the front just signal right away that you will exit the line.

It's always better to keep yourself in check rather than get into a situation where you will blow up early in the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I like this page of riding tips:
    Riding Tips