RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Didn't take long (fall w/clipless)

Headed out after work with thoughts of doing some hill repeats. Had to cross a four lane with middle turning lane, no problem did it many times. So left clipped in right on ground traffic looks clear and I push off to cross. Well I looked down to clip right foot and when I look up I'm almost through the turn lane and there is a car coming quick. No problem happens, just ride turn lane until traffic clears then cross. No this time make turn to sharp dig left pedal into pavement and down I go partly in the lane of traffic. Jumped up and got out of the way of traffic. Walked it the rest of the way across put the chain back on the chain ring dusted off my pride and continued on. Only damage I could find was a nice scrape on my left pedal. Couldn't stop thinking about how dumb I must of looked to the passing cars for the rest of the ride.
    2011 Schwinn Paramount series 7
    2012 Schwinn Searcher Sport

RoadBikeReview Member
    Don't worry about looking dumb, but do practice clipping in so you can do it without looking down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    My fear at 69 years of age is doing this exact same thing. That is why I am having such a hard time selecting what pedals to put on my first road bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    practice . lol. plus i like the clipping in sound. dont you? kind of cool
    GoooOOOO ! ... Liquigaaaassss!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't think Ive come across any rider that got clipless pedals and did not fall.

Welcome to the club! Glad you were able to share your story.

You too will get accustomed to clipping in with some time. It will become second nature.

It is true that there is some "cool-ness" in being able to clip in without looking down from a stop in front of drivers.

However the sound of a group of riders clipping in in unison is..... Priceless!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
    My fear at 69 years of age is doing this exact same thing. That is why I am having such a hard time selecting what pedals to put on my first road bike.
    SPD SL they really are super easy to get used to!

RoadBikeReview Member
    First assess if they will provide a benefit to you, depending on the riding you are doing. Then, if you decide to get them, my advice would be to consider the SPD's - they are double sided so you can clip into either side of the pedal. Look for one's that have tension adjustement and adjust the tension to it's easiest setting and then practice. If you have a trainer, that's a good place to practice clipping in and out. After that maybe practice on some grass. Woldn't hurt to take an hr and research how to fall - just in case.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Knock on wood ive been riding clip less for a while and haven't fallen yet. Was using SPD for a while just switched to SPD-SL and holy hell is SPD-SL ridiculously easy to clip in to. Definitely recommend to a beginner.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As a 4 day beginner in the pedals, I'm not so worried about the clipping *in* as I am about forgetting to clip *out*.

Hi
    May 2010
    Happens to all of us. Eventually it will become second nature. Don't give up.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Since all clipless pedals come with a (short) learning curve, rather than base selection solely on perceived ease of entry/ exit, my advice is to research what shoes pedals best suite your riding style and choose accordingly.

If you find that you walk some during your rides, MTB shoes with recessed (SPD) cleats might have some advantage. If ease of walking isn't a concern, road shoes with SPD-SL's might be a good choice because (generally speaking) the pedal platforms are somewhat larger.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Had a good uneventful ride today. I went the SPD rout with shoes that I can walk in. Find myself gripping the pedals, much better when I relax my feet, guess It's a muscle memory thing. Really enjoying the increased efficiency that I am getting. If I had to do it again I would have taken more time to get familiar with them before putting myself into traffic.
    2011 Schwinn Paramount series 7
    2012 Schwinn Searcher Sport

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    i've already fallen down three times since on clipless.. the first time was right after i installed them and was riding around the house; yeah.. leaned the wrong way. second and third time was from emergency stopping and not rotating my foot enough too disengage. fell left once and to the right twice, all three times using my hands to break the fall (big mistake.. wrist injuries galore)..

on the upside, these all happened early on and i've had a nice bout of incident free rides since then.. (touch wood). still, no regrets on going clipless. have also learned to clip in without looking down at the pedals, which really helps a lot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Since going clipless, I can't attribute any fall directly to them. My last one, I think, would have happened even with platform pedals. Sudden stops made me crash even when going with cages and straps. Crashes happen when you get those "bleep happens" moments, when you have too much on your plate going on at once. Like 2-3 yappy dogs trying to cut you off from in front, or the sudden right hook from a clueless driver.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Ride platform, there's no shame in that.

I made the decision years ago that I'm too old to believe that the increase in performace is worth the cost of hitting the deck yet again.

I'm not young, I'm not an athlete, I don't ride clipless, I still pass plenty of younger guys who do.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slow.climber View Post
    Ride platform, there's no shame in that.

I made the decision years ago that I'm too old to believe that the increase in performace is worth the cost of hitting the deck yet again.

I'm not young, I'm not an athlete, I don't ride clipless, I still pass plenty of younger guys who do.
    I'm 61, and no one ever accused me of being an athlete. I've ridden with clipless pedals for at least 20 years. They don't make me fall down (I fell over a few times back in my toeclip days).

I ride better (safer, faster, more efficiently, more fun) when I'm securely attached to the pedals. If I want to jump out of the saddle to accelerate or kick over the top of a hill, I can do it securely, even at high cadence, knowing my foot isn't going to slip off a pedal. If I'm trying to make a light when commuting on the fixed-gear, and I have to spin it up to 125 rpm for a few seconds, I feel secure (pretty much ;-) because at least I know my feet will stay on the pedals.

Do you use clips and straps, slow.climber? Or are you totally unattached?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousmike View Post
    As a 4 day beginner in the pedals, I'm not so worried about the clipping *in* as I am about forgetting to clip *out*.
    That happened to me just the other day.

Pulling up in front of the house after a nice ride, I completely spaced on clipping out. The bike slowed to a stop and over I went. I was, of course, profoundly embarrassed.

To make matters worse, I take Coumadin for a blood clotting disorder. I bruise very easily as a result. My saddle came down on the inside of my left thigh and now I have nasty bruise the size of a grapefuit. Looks great with my riding shorts.

Moral of the story: Maintain focus and don't let the mind wander away from the task at hand.
    Marco Pantani died for your sins.

" I guess most guys don't think of themselves as larvae, but hey, we're all lucky that pterodactyls are no longer ruling the skies." ~Bob Roll

2011 GT GTR Series 2
    Blog: Riding With Cancer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Samadhi View Post
    That happened to me just the other day.
    pulling up in front of the house after a nice ride, I completely spaced on clipping out. The bike slowed to a stop and over I went. I was, of course, profoundly embarrassed.
    To make matters worse, I take Coumadin for a blood clotting disorder. I bruise very easily as a result. My saddle came down on the inside of my left thigh and now I have nasty bruise the size of a grapefuit. Looks great with my riding shorts.
    Moral of the story: Maintain focus and don't let the mind wander away from the task at hand
    .[/
    Let me try a different moral: practice, practice, practice, so the habit of unclipping a foot as you slow to a stop is pure muscle memory, and you'll do it automatically even if you are concentrating on traffic, conversation, whatever. Go out to a parking lot and do it over and over. Get up to speed, hit the brakes, unclip and put a foot down. Do it 50 times in a row, or 100.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mpre53 View Post
    Since going clipless, I can't attribute any fall directly to them. My last one, I think, would have happened even with platform pedals. Sudden stops made me crash even when going with cages and straps. Crashes happen when you get those "bleep happens" moments, when you have too much on your plate going on at once. Like 2-3 yappy dogs trying to cut you off from in front, or the sudden right hook from a clueless driver.
    When I say platform I mean bare platform without cages or straps.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Let me try a different moral: practice, practice, practice, so the habit of unclipping a foot as you slow to a stop is pure muscle memory, and you'll do it automatically even if you are concentrating on traffic, conversation, whatever. Go out to a parking lot and do it over and over. Get up to speed, hit the brakes, unclip and put a foot down. Do it 50 times in a row, or 100.
    Well let me try this: How about 1000? What makes you think I didn't do something like what you recommend? I rode around the block, over and over in sh!tty weather, after dark for a week, doing EXACTLY what you recommended. Before that I spent an hour an evening for a week, down in my garage with the bike, practicing clipping in/out with both feet. Not that it's bad advice (it isn't), but if you're not paying attention to what you're doing, as in my case, it doesn't matter how many times you've practiced something, you're going to find yourself in trouble more often than not.
    Marco Pantani died for your sins.

" I guess most guys don't think of themselves as larvae, but hey, we're all lucky that pterodactyls are no longer ruling the skies." ~Bob Roll

2011 GT GTR Series 2
    Blog: Riding With Cancer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slow.climber View Post
    When I say platform I mean bare platform without cages or straps.
    So did I.

I've gone down with platform pedals, too. It can happen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Samadhi View Post
    Well let me try this: How about 1000? What makes you think I didn't do something like what you recommend? I rode around the block, over and over in sh!tty weather, after dark for a week, doing EXACTLY what you recommended. Before that I spent an hour an evening for a week, down in my garage with the bike, practicing clipping in/out with both feet. Not that it's bad advice (it isn't), but if you're not paying attention to what you're doing, as in my case, it doesn't matter how many times you've practiced something, you're going to find yourself in trouble more often than not.
    Good luck. Keep practicing. I guess I disagree with the emphasized statement. IME, if you get it so it's really a practiced reflex, you don't have to pay attention. It's really nearly automatic. Slowing to a stop will trigger the action, even if you're paying attention to something else.

Personally, I always use the same foot. Makes it more automatic, at least for me. Part of the practiced reflex is turning the wheel to the other side at the last moment so the bike leans the right way.

Did not mean to disparage your skill. No offense.

NewRamsFan
    Apr 2012

Me Too

New guy here...

Bought my bike Wednesday. Rode 4 times (20 minutes each) and decided to get 540's because my right heel kept clipping the chainring guard. Installed, clipped in and out. Even rode clipping in and out several times. Yea! Then I rode home, stopped, unclipped the left foot and fell to the right. Does that mean I'm official now... or just skinned up?

It doesn't matter, I'm liking this a lot better than walking!