RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017

Does anyone know what kind of schwinn this is?

I just bought this old schwinn today.. I'm not sure what kind it is and don't know how to use the gears. Does anyone have any idea what kind this is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darling of The Lounge
    1977 Schwinn Varsity ladies.

a real member's member
    a very low level one worth $25-$50.

if you put $100 worth of consumables (tires, etc.) and $300 worth of labor into it, it would not be worth $150.

schwinn made some good mid-level bikes throughout its history (like the super le tour). if you intend to spend any time on the bike, i would strongly suggest one of those instead.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwinn_Bicycle_Company
    The Ten Speed

A growing number of teens and young adults were purchasing imported European sport racing or sport touring bicycles, many fitted with multiple derailleur-shifted gears. Schwinn decided to meet the challenge by developing two lines of sport or road 'racer' bicycles. One was already in the catalog — the limited production Paramount series. As always, the Paramount spared no expense; the bicycles were given high-quality lightweight lugged steel frames using double-butted tubes of Reynolds 531 and fitted with quality European components including Campagnolo derailleurs, hubs, and gears. The Paramount series had limited production numbers, making vintage examples quite rare today. Starting in 1960, for the rest of the market, Schwinn offered the Schwinn Varsity and Continental, now equipped as multi-geared sport bikes (10-speeds), and designed to imitate the style of the new narrow-tired 'racing' and sport bikes from Europe, though not their performance.[23] The 1960 Varsity was introduced as an 8-speed bike, but in mid-1961 was upgraded to 10 speeds. Other road bikes were introduced by Schwinn in the early and mid 1960s, such as the Superior, Sierra, and Super Continental, but these were only produced for a few years. The Varsity and Continental sold in large numbers through the 1960s and early 1970s, becoming Scwhinn's leading models. The major difference between the two models was the use of a tubular front fork on the Continental -- both bikes used the same frame design, a lugless, steel unit, using Schwinn's standard Ashtabula cranksets and welded in such a way that the joints were smoothly filled (similar to the joints in 21st-century composite frames). The wheel rims were likewise robust, chromed, stamped steel with a unique profile designed to hold the tire bead securely, even if pressure were low or lost.

In the late 1960s, the Varsity and Continental pioneered the use of auxiliary brake levers, which allowed the rider to rest hands on the straight, horizontal center section of the ram's horn handlebars, yet still have braking control. To further improve control from this more-erect riding position, the levers used to move the derailleurs (shifting the chain from one sprocket to the next) were moved from the traditional position on the "down tube" to the top of the headset, on a ring which would turn with the handlebar gooseneck. This feature, attractive to older riders, soon found its way to other Schwinn models, especially those intended for senior citizens.

By the mid-1970s, competition from lightweight and feature-rich imported bikes was making strong inroads in the budget-priced and beginners' market. While Schwinn's popular lines were far more durable than the budget bikes, they were also far heavier and more expensive, and parents were realizing that most of the budget bikes would outlast most kids' interest in bicycling. Although the Varsity and Continental series would still be produced in large numbers into the 1980s, even Schwinn recognized the growing market in young adults and environmentally-oriented purchasers, devoting the bulk of their marketing to lighter models intended to pull sales back from the imports.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Russian Troll Farmer
    Looks like a "Salvation Army Special" to me.....all you need is to rotate the bars up 180°, and wobble down the road with a bag of 500 returnable cans strapped to the sides.....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Looks like a "Salvation Army Special" to me.....all you need is to rotate the bars up 180°, and wobble down the road with a bag of 500 returnable cans strapped to the sides.....
    Meanness and nastiness never seems to escape you, No Time Toulouse. Didn't a posting vacation teach you anything? Please stop this. Be nice - fake it if necessary!
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Russian Troll Farmer
    FWIW, my Rastafarian freind says:

Ey, mon, dose Scwinns be ire fo' a cheap ride!!!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017
    Well aren't you a mother****er. How about you go suck on your daddy's ******* you cuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by colleene.kelly View Post
    Well aren't you a mother****er. How about you go suck on your daddy's ******* you cuck
    Do NOT stoop to that level. Be offended, be annoyed, but don't do this.

Russian Troll Farmer
    Gee, I post a few pithy remarks, and you go all "guttersnipe". Frankly, I'm pretty sure this was a "troll post". And Lombard (just love that name....sounds like he's gonna invade from the north...) thought I was being rude.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Kerry is right. Don't stoop to his level. There is always one bully poster. Report his post as abusive.

-- Warren Buffett

Fecal indicator
    Gee, I post a few pithy remarks, and you go all "guttersnipe". Frankly, I'm pretty sure this was a "troll post". And Lombard (just love that name....sounds like he's gonna invade from the north...) thought I was being rude.....
    not that you'd care, but snark in the Beginner's forum has traditionally been considered poor form.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Gee, I post a few pithy remarks, and you go all "guttersnipe". Frankly, I'm pretty sure this was a "troll post"..........
    Pithy isn't the word. More like boorish. And who are you to judge that anything that doesn't adhere to your narrow definition of a road cyclist is a troll post?

As Oxtox said, this IS the Beginner Forum. Hint: BEGINNERS post here. The OP's bought a used bike and simply wanted to find out more information on it. He wasn't looking for nasty remarks. I doubt he will return after his negative experience here.
    Last edited by Lombard; 09-14-2017 at 04:28 AM.

-- Warren Buffett