Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Easiest pedals to unclip from, help!

23K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  saddlesnifer 
#1 ·
Any advice for a newbie on which pedal is the easiest to unclip from? I currently have SPD's and have the setting really light but I still have a hard time unclipping. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

#27 ·
nearptr said:
Wassup Tommy :) I thought the 'left-first' recommendation was odd, and wanted to ask, only to find that others had already questioned the recommendation. I don't understand your explanations -- please help...

I don't understand how the choice of foot to unclip at stops has any effect upon how one mounts the bicycle, an event which ordinarily occurs <i>prior</i> to unclipping for stops. I mount from the left, but prefer to unclip my right foot; I don't feel my derailleurs are ever at risk from my feet during mounting, although I can't say I've ever paid much attention to such risk...

I can't help thinking that I'm much less likely to fall in the direction where I have a FREE foot to stop the fall! Therefore, if I'm concerned about falling to the right and damaging derailleurs, I would want to unclip my right foot, not my left.

For what it's worth, I prefer, I don't think for any particular reason other than entrenched habit, to mount from the left, unclip the right when stopping, and dismount to the right (probably cuz my car often is often in the way of dismounting to the left :) ) My right foot is Last In and First Out ("LIFO")

The other possiblilities are (for the RIGHT foot):
FILO
FIFO
and LILO

Assuming the OP's question has been satisfactorily addressed (comments OP?), can we turn this in to a poll? :)
I said there was no scientific basis for this hypothesis, but if I am mounting from the left, then my right is first to clip in (right foot is FILO) and then my left, so it's start with my right (dominate leg) and then clip in with my left.

Now I do have the problem with trying to unclip real fast when I am not in position for my left foot to unclip and have to try and get my right out suddenly. I think it's a left brain right foot thing.

#29 ·
Tommy Walker said:
Now I do have the problem with trying to unclip real fast when I am not in position for my left foot to unclip and have to try and get my right out suddenly. I think it's a left brain right foot thing.
Yes! I understand. I prefer to disconnect at the bottom of the circle. Is this what you are talking about? At what part of the circle do you prefer to unclip? I'm much better at it with my preferred foot, but much more important is the relative location within the circle. I used to prefer the top (or 90 degrees straight BACK more-or-less...

#30 ·
Another recommendaion for Frogs

Before you try anything else take a look at the speedplay frogs at a bike shop. They don't require tension to get in and out of - it just rotates on the cam. Very simple. It will also give you a lot of float if you have knee issues.

I have 4 pairs of Frog pedals on my road and mtn bikes.

#31 ·
nearptr said:
Yes! I understand. I prefer to disconnect at the bottom of the circle. Is this what you are talking about? At what part of the circle do you prefer to unclip? I'm much better at it with my preferred foot, but much more important is the relative location within the circle. I used to prefer the top (or 90 degrees straight BACK more-or-less...
Yes at the bottom, but the left foot I can usually unclip anywhere, so when my right foot is at the bottom and something suprising happens (lady on cell phone decides to block an intersection, car makes u-turn as you are turning right, etc) I just can't get the brain engaged as to am I unclipping left or right.

I normally unclip well in advance of an intersection or perceived trouble, then ride the top of the pedal unclipped and clip back in once I am ready to move on. That's why the habit of left came about. I'm going to take the suggestion of unclipping with right or left and maybe the brain will engage better.

#32 ·
Tommy Walker said:
...I normally unclip well in advance of an intersection or perceived trouble, then ride the top of the pedal unclipped and clip back in once I am ready to move on... I'm going to take the suggestion of unclipping with right or left and maybe the brain will engage better.
That's the beauty of unclipping both at the first sign of trouble. You don't have to think. Either foot can go down.

#33 ·
'Grabby' SPD's can be caused by sticky pedal mechanisms or as mentioned above, something wrong with the shoe.

Clean the pedals with a stiff brush and some plain soap. Lube the pedal mechanism, then wipe off the excess. Don't lube the platform, just way down where the springs/axle/clip meet.

Finally, there is a bit of craft to using SPD's that's not obvious to everyone. Twist your foot, don't pull it. The pedal will, more or less, push your foot away when released.

#34 ·
California L33 said:
That's the beauty of unclipping both at the first sign of trouble. You don't have to think. Either foot can go down.
You can lose control with both feet unclipped at the same time while the bike is still in motion. At least one foot should be attached to the pedal.

#35 ·
Ok, here is the update. I purchased a pair of speedplay light action and I love them. It has boosted my confidence alot. In fact I feel like it has made me a better rider. They are so easy to unclip from that I dont stress out when I see a stop sign!! Thanks everyone for helping a newbie out! Ride on!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.