RoadBikeReview Member

Felt 1.3 Carbon/Alloy handlebar, Plus and Minus?

Hi Guys

I am just back into cycling after a 15 year break... I picked up a Felt 1.3 Carbon/Alloy handlebar on Ebay. Centre section is carbon fibre and the rest is aluminum, nice - more compact than what came on my Giant TCX 2.

I am wondering what to expect when I change over, I have done some surfing and I don't think that I will see any radical improvements, but will it be durable?
    I ride some very rough trails and don't want it snapping while I am riding.
    A related question, is there any problems with fake bike parts being sold on Ebay?
    Just wondering the bar came from China, don't want to read more into that than required, but thought I would ask.

Thanks
    Spoonhead

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Congrats on getting back into cycling.

It looks like that bar is a 2008 model so that would explain it being priced so low. I don't see any problem with it for use on the road - assuming by rough trails you don't mean off-road use like cyclo-cross or something. I use carbon bars on my mountain bikes and while they are beefier than the road bars they take a pounding and are proof to me that carbon is an acceptable material for bars.

If there were phony parts they'd likely show up on Ebay, often you can spot them from the real deal because of differences in the finish, spelling mistakes or other cosmetic giveaways. I think it's a risk you run using Ebay as a source.