Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

First 50 mile ride

Absolutely beautiful weekend to ride and I wanted to make the most of it. Did 25 miles yesterday on a mix of paved, chip seal, and hard pack on the CX bike. Decided to push my distance/stamina some. Did 50.37 miles today solo at 17.8 mph average. I know for many that isn't much to speak of but I am proud. Not bad for first starting to ride remotely serious one year ago on a hybrid and 2 years ago weighing almost 300 lbs (at 180 now). Just wanted to share...
    Specialized Allez Comp Apex- '12 56cm
    Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro- '12 56cm

Get me to In&Out
    17.8 is a great pace for 50 miles. Getting off the bike and looking at your computer is fun when you know you set a PR.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gte105u View Post
    .... I know for many that isn't much to speak of but I am proud.
    You have MUCH to be proud of. 17.8 mph is a very respectable average speed (even for the Internet) And fifty miles isn't so shabby ether! Remember when most of the worlds cyclist ride a century... they do so in kilometers. It is only about 62 American miles to equal a metric century.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Agree with the others... 17.8 average speed is very respectable as is hitting the 50 mile mark.

However, there's much more to this than the stats indicate. You're out doing what you love while improving your fitness and maintaining your weight loss (congrats on that, BTW). All in all, a lot to be proud and thankful for.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks guys. I will admit it was a little harder than I thought it would be. Fortunately I started with a head wind so by the end I was cruising with a good pace and a tail wind. At 44 miles I had a turnoff where I could have gone straight and been done in a mile or turned and finished the 50 mile planned course. It was a hard decision to HTFU and finish but I am glad I did. I did have a good time though. Went through a new area in the national forest that was a great route.

I need to get my running fitness back up (fighting a strained calf) as late this season or early next season doing a half iron man is my goal. I did a half marathon last year which was way before my goal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Ill be doing a 50 mile ride in late August for charity (Boston to Cape Cod). I have been training 20-25 miles a day at an average of 16.1 miles. One of these day im hoping to get a full 50 mile ride in at one time but time constraints restrict my ride times unfortunately. Congrats to you on the 50 and losing all that weight! You must feel great!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Congrats.. You have much to be proud of..

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009
    I doubt I ever average 17.8 outside of competition. Quite the solo effort.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's good stuff! Coincidentally I finished 51 on Saturday and that was my personal best. I must admit that it definitely felt great to make it home and see the numbers on the computer (smile from ear to ear). That said, I can assure you I did not go 17, more like 15.5 on average which tends to be my going rate. Last week I tried to do a long ride and ended up bailing out at about mile 40 and had to call my wife for a pick up (quads started cramping up)...personally I think she took her time to get me as I sat outside a strip mall freezing from perspiration

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbelleza View Post
    That's good stuff! Coincidentally I finished 51 on Saturday and that was my personal best. I must admit that it definitely felt great to make it home and see the numbers on the computer (smile from ear to ear). That said, I can assure you I did not go 17, more like 15.5 on average which tends to be my going rate. Last week I tried to do a long ride and ended up bailing out at about mile 40 and had to call my wife for a pick up (quads started cramping up)...personally I think she took her time to get me as I sat outside a strip mall freezing from perspiration
    I was a little cool at the start and my legs had a little trouble warming up. Add to the early head wind (which I was thankful for later when it was a tail wind) and I didn't know if today was going to be the day. But you should be proud as well. 50 miles is no short distance no matter the pace (and 5 mph is hardly slow either). When I mention riding even 20 miles my non cycling friends are impressed...

RoadBikeReview Member

First 50 mile ride

Quote Originally Posted by chudson0616 View Post
    Ill be doing a 50 mile ride in late August for charity (Boston to Cape Cod). I have been training 20-25 miles a day at an average of 16.1 miles. One of these day im hoping to get a full 50 mile ride in at one time but time constraints restrict my ride times unfortunately. Congrats to you on the 50 and losing all that weight! You must feel great!
    Boston to the Cape is only 50 miles?

RoadBikeReview Member

First 50 mile ride

Great job and thank you for sharing. Keep it up and enjoy the road
    2013 Lynskey R230. Campagnolo Chorus 11 group-set. Campagnolo Neutron Ultra wheel-set. Easton EC90 aero handlebars on 3T team stem. Specialized Romin Expert 155mm saddle. Look Keo Carbon Blade pedals. Garmin Edge 800. Lizard skin tape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great job!!! I know from personal experience both the joy of loosing weight and riding 50 miles. Both significant accomplishments that only a small minority of people will ever experience. Again Congrats and keep peddling.
    People sleep peaceably at night because rough men and woman stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Oregon Bike MS 2013 Team Matfam

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    That's a fast 50 in my book. I rarely 17 for an average on 30 miles. A Century should be pretty easy for you now if you turn the pace back a few notches.
    Trek Domane 5.2
    Cannondale Synapse 3 Ultegra Disc
    Fuji Cross Comp
    Trek Dual Sport 8.4 (sold)
    1969 Camaro Pace car - numbers matching frame off resto
    1969 Camaro Coupe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Congrats!!! and another congrats is in order because now you're no longer a beginner!

Serious man, the average rider rides at 14 mph (read that on some website a year ago), so since you exceeded that you're no longer classified as a beginner.

So get off this beginner section and join the others...just kidding, you don't have to leave this section if you don't want.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk98yvozq1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p92Stnnigjs
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."

RoadBikeReview Member
    I keep my eyes on, and chime in at times on, other sections around here. The thing is, this section is the one you hear the least ridiculous boasting. Others, you say you did 50 miles in 17.8, they come back with doing 150 at 24.2 up hill and against the wind the whole time or some such nonsense. But thanks for the feedback guys, its nice to have a pat on the back every now and again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There are ways to train that can help you increase your average speed. Not sure how well advised you are on this stuff, but look into interval training. Interval training is the number one way to increase average speed. I was doing some interval stuff last season, but changed it to include hills, which in Fort Wayne Indiana there are few hills. So I found this rolling hill area and just repeatedly attacked the hills by going up as fast as I could, then go down the other side (kept the pedals turning so as not to rest the legs, you got to keep them moving). turn around and do it again. The hill was about a 1/2 mile long going up and about 1/2 mile going down, not sure what the grade percentage is but it's just a hill not a mountain so it's nothing really steep. I did that for 3 months, not only did my speed increase going up the hill (as did my gearing) but my average speed on a 75 mile ride went from 18 (like yours) to 21 to 22, I was pretty ecstatic. Of course don't do intervals every day, but every other day is what I did with each week about 10% more distance then the week before.

There are websites with all this info, and their are websites to prepare you for 100 mile rides. Those century train schedules are based on a 12 week training program so at the end of 12 weeks your doing a 100 mile ride. If you have till August and prepare for a 100 mile ride, or more, you'll have plenty of gas in the tank to do a 50 and do it faster then one you reported...and faster then me because I'm old!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk98yvozq1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p92Stnnigjs
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    AWESOME JOB!!!! Truely love reading stuff like this. This is the kind of stuff that gives me motivation to get out and ride. My eating habbits from when I was young and could eat anything caught up with me. Reading post like this is great motivation and inpiration to get out on the bike and pedal. Thanks for sharing it.
    2004 Trek Fuel 70
    2011 Fuji Roubiax 1.0

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by regnaD kciN View Post
    Boston to the Cape is only 50 miles?
    To the start of the Cape, I would imagine. The Cape starts in Bourne.

Nice job on the OP. Averaging close to 18 on your first solo 50 is great.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You deserve 2 pats on the back! One for the weight loss and the other for your 1/2 century.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    My legs were still feeling it today. Took yesterday off. Today was a run day. Quads were still tight and it knocked 30 seconds/mile off my normal 10k pace. Just more motivation though. It is addictive. I have a 70 mile route planned when I get the time to do it.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. And to those who use it as inspiration that is awesome! The idea I can help others feel the same pride, satisfaction, and positive self image makes me really happy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Congrats on the new long-ride benchmark and weight loss! Keep at it and before you know it 50 will be your Sunday after breakfast-before lunch ride.

Headwinds are never fun in my experience, until you get to turn around and have them push you back. The best thing I've ever found for dealing with a headwind is to tuck in the drops and just focus on keeping the pedals spinning and moving forward. Ignore the speedometer, just keep the effort level in check.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Congratulations and keep up the good work!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    You are correct 17.8 mph is not as fat as some but it is much faster than most for their first 50! Congrats for the PR and many more!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    congrats on your first 50! I'm just getting started also. I'm riding a bit slower than you and that may be due to age(43)/conditioning/recent surgeries....or perhaps I just plain suck!

last year when preparing for knee surgery I was trying to get my pre surgery endurance up by riding my mtb on the roads, my longest trip was 26 miles and it took my about 2 hours on the mtb ( I do live in a very hilly area, flat sections are few and far between). I realize that 26 miles is not much, but with a swollen knee missing 3 ligaments it was a challenge.

I had ACL and MCL recontruction surgery done in early December and I am recovering well. I picked up a Giant Defy at a great price to motivate my rehab.

I just did 20 miles after work last night and was surprised that I only averaged around 15mph on the new road bike, it sure felt like I was cruising much faster than I had on my mtb. but the route was different and a bit windy yesterday....still sounds like you are cruising at a decent speed! I will be happy if I can work up to that. And 50 miles is nothing to sneeze at! GOOD JOB!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast