Thread: First Bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018

First Bike.

I got on a bike for the first time in more than 25 years and was hooked. I spent last summer on a borrowed mountain bike that drove like a bus. Now I want to move onto a road bike (after participating in my 1st triathlon also on a borrowed bike). However, I don't want to drop too much money on my 1st bike. I saw a used Fuji Roubaix 1.0 (2010) for $550cdn. Assuming it's in good condition and assuming I can talk down the price, would this be a good choice? Or should I go into the $1000cdn range for a new Specialized or Giant?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Always test ride before you buy. Does it fit? What is your height and inseam? What size is the bike?

Fit is probably.....no, not probably, it IS THE most important thing to consider when choosing a bike.

A bike that fits you correctly will make you more efficient than an ill fitting bike. It will feel good and make you want to ride.

A bike that does not fit you correctly will eventually hurt you and may cause a repetitive use injury. If you hurt when you ride, you will lose interest in the sport.

Brand is not that important. There are many great bikes from brands such as Cannondale, Trek, Specialized, Giant, Jamis, GT, etc. Fuji is more budget oriented, but definitely not a "cheap" brand like Schwinn, Mongoose or Huffy.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JohninMtl View Post
    I got on a bike for the first time in more than 25 years and was hooked. I spent last summer on a borrowed mountain bike that drove like a bus. Now I want to move onto a road bike (after participating in my 1st triathlon also on a borrowed bike). However, I don't want to drop too much money on my 1st bike. I saw a used Fuji Roubaix 1.0 (2010) for $550cdn. Assuming it's in good condition and assuming I can talk down the price, would this be a good choice? Or should I go into the $1000cdn range for a new Specialized or Giant?
    Going either way can be a logical choice depending on what your priorities are and plenty of us have tried both. These days, I am more in the camp of, if you can afford new, why not do that, get a free fit session, and start building a relationship with a shop in the process? Just my thoughts though.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Thanks. I should pop into a bike shop and get fitted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    I was told by a bike enthusiast I play hockey with that anything less than 10 gears is a bad idea. That seems excessive for a novice rider and given the solid reputation of Claris, unnecessary. I appreciate your advice and will follow it. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks. I should pop into a bike shop and get fitted.
    Best idea yet!

I was told by a bike enthusiast I play hockey with that anything less than 10 gears is a bad idea. That seems excessive for a novice rider and given the solid reputation of Claris, unnecessary. I appreciate your advice and will follow it. Thanks.
    I don't know what to make of this statement. 10 or 11 gears will give you closer gear spacing than 8 or 9 gears. 9 is plenty unless you are racing. On a Synapse Sora, you get a Sora drivetrain (a step up from Claris) 9-speed 11-34T cassette:

https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...ntid=undefined

If you want 10 speeds, you will need to go up to Tiagra which adds $300:

"With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I saw a used Fuji Roubaix 1.0 (2010) for $550cdn.
    Price seems way high.
    https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear...81&model=62548

Food for thought
    One advantage of buying an entry level used bike, is if you don't like it, you're only out a couple hundred bucks. And you can likely re-sell it and recoup all (or most) of your money.
    If you buy a $1000 new bike and don't like it, you're pretty much going to be out 40-50% of your investment when you try and sell it.

Yes bike fit is the #1 priority. But not all bike fits are equal or even remotely adequate. Many shops, especially on a beginner buying an entry level bike will give you a 5min eyeball fitting and send you out the door. If I had a $1 for every time I've seen that happen, and the rider still on the wrong size, I'd have a lot of $1's.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Best idea yet!

I don't know what to make of this statement. 10 or 11 gears will give you closer gear spacing than 8 or 9 gears. 9 is plenty unless you are racing. On a Synapse Sora, you get a Sora drivetrain (a step up from Claris) 9-speed 11-34T cassette:

If you want 10 speeds, you will need to go up to Tiagra which adds $300:

All well said. Categorical statements about what's acceptable are a little silly, since the gearing you need depends so much on where and how you ride. A lot of us here started riding on the road when "10-speed" meant 2 chainrings and a 5-speed freewheel. The 9 cogs on my road bike are plenty for my hilly rides, and I do a lot of my flatter rides on fixed-gear bikes with only a single gear combination.

That Fuji, IF it fits you and is in good condition, could be an excellent first road bike, and you might ride it for a long time.

Happy riding.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    All well said. Categorical statements about what's acceptable are a little silly, since the gearing you need depends so much on where and how you ride. A lot of us here started riding on the road when "10-speed" meant 2 chainrings and a 5-speed freewheel.
    My bike as a teenager had a 5-speed freewheel with a single ring up front. Though where I rode then was mostly flat and my body was much younger. I would say 2x9 is plenty adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    That Fuji, IF it fits you and is in good condition, could be an excellent first road bike, and you might ride it for a long time.
    Key words here.
    Last edited by Lombard; 04-19-2018 at 02:16 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    Price seems way high.
    https://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Sear...81&model=62548

Food for thought
    One advantage of buying an entry level used bike, is if you don't like it, you're only out a couple hundred bucks. And you can likely re-sell it and recoup all (or most) of your money.
    If you buy a $1000 new bike and don't like it, you're pretty much going to be out 40-50% of your investment when you try and sell it.

Yes bike fit is the #1 priority. But not all bike fits are equal or even remotely adequate. Many shops, especially on a beginner buying an entry level bike will give you a 5min eyeball fitting and send you out the door. If I had a $1 for every time I've seen that happen, and the rider still on the wrong size, I'd have a lot of $1's.
    In the spirit of providing a full picture for the OP, I just want to point out that there are a number of brand new road bikes out there these days that can be purchased for significantly less than $1000. The Fuji Sportif, Giant Contend, Trek Domane AL, and Specialized Allez alloy are few that come to mind. Some are close to the price of that used bike. Why not have your cake and eat it too?
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jamis is also worth looking into. The Aluminum Ventura with Claris and the steel Quest with Claris are both $650.

performanceroadbikes