RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017

First Bike Advice

Hey! I'm wanting to get into road racing to help improve my fitness and possibly use it as a way to get a scholarship into college. I've seen alot of people say I should buy from a local bike shop so I can get deals and such with them rather than buy used and the shops not help me out that much. The shop that I'd buy from would sell me a new Focus Cayo 4.0 2015 for 1500 in total. The bike was being shipped in and hadn't arrived yet last time I was there, so I haven't been able to test ride it or anything. The other bike shops in my area didn't have any bikes that were as good of a deal as this one, so I'd like to buy from them. What are your opinions on the bike? I wanted to go for a carbon one so I could keep the frame and upgrade the parts later. Is this the way I should go?

Thanks for viewing my thread and taking the time to help!
    Last edited by Zadanye; 04-04-2017 at 11:41 AM.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    If you really want to get into road racing, find a bicycle racing club first and talk to the members about your quest. Often, such clubs offer special deals on frames or entire bicycles for their riders. By 'racing' I mean getting a racing license and entering sanctioned races with a racing number pinned to your jersey--not "rides" or "gran fondos" or "centuries."

I know of no schools offering scholarships for racing cyclists.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    You are putting the cart before the horse. For example, I want to be a professional golfer. I have never golfed. What clubs should I buy to become a pro?

If your goal is money for college. Study more and get a minimum wage job. You have a better chance of getting an academic scholarship than a cycling scholarship. You will make more money in the job than you will in cycling. Unless you are a genetic freak (i.e. naturally superior athlete compared to everyone else in your school), you are not going to become an elite level cyclist.

OTOH, if you like riding bikes and want to race. Go to USA cycling an find races in your area. Sign up for the race and a one day cat 5 license and give it a try.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    You are putting the cart before the horse. For example, I want to be a professional golfer. I have never golfed. What clubs should I buy to become a pro?

If your goal is money for college. Study more and get a minimum wage job. You have a better chance of getting an academic scholarship than a cycling scholarship. You will make more money in the job than you will in cycling. Unless you are a genetic freak (i.e. naturally superior athlete compared to everyone else in your school), you are not going to become an elite level cyclist.

OTOH, if you like riding bikes and want to race. Go to USA cycling an find races in your area. Sign up for the race and a one day cat 5 license and give it a try.
    Thank you, I appreciate the response!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    If you really want to get into road racing, find a bicycle racing club first and talk to the members about your quest. Often, such clubs offer special deals on frames or entire bicycles for their riders. By 'racing' I mean getting a racing license and entering sanctioned races with a racing number pinned to your jersey--not "rides" or "gran fondos" or "centuries."

Quite of few of them do in my area. Thanks for your response!

Troll-ish....
    I just have to ask, but....does anybody else think this post was a "troll"?
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    I just have to ask, but....does anybody else think this post was a "troll"?
    Do the answers to the question help anyone in a similar situation? If so, then it is a useful post for a beginner's forum.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by wim View Post
    There are not many, but there are a few. A couple of them have quite large teams, in fact. Cycling Scholarships & College Cycling Teams

gazing from the shadows
    How old are you? No matter how fit, or genetically gifted you are in the cycling sense, if you don't have three years to train and race I don't think you have much of a shot of getting one of the few scholarships that exist. But if you have three years, and talent and work effort to get results, that might be seen as showing very high potential given quick improvement.

Scholarships, like sponsorships, are based on results.

A $1500 bike, that properly fits, will be good enough to race on for a couple of years. Train, train, train, race race race. If you get some results (wins in local races, placing highly in state, regional, or national events), that might get you some money for college. But given the small number of college scholarships, I think you are better off not having that as a goal. Have cycling goals, have educational goals, but assume they will not align at all.