RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

first real ride new bike

I have done longer rides in the past but they were solo at my own pace (on my hybrid). This morning I met up with a guy from work who is not new to riding and is much younger. We did 22 miles at an average 15.1 mph. I was able to stay on his rear tire for most of the ride, but was lacking when it came to the hills. After the ride I apologized for falling back and not keeping up and he said I held my own. Not sure if he was just being kind to an old man...

The new bike performed flawlessly but I will have some questions when I get the fitting done in a week or two. Also, I used caged pedals for the first time at my buddies suggestion. They were an improvement over platforms but not optimal so after the ride I went and purchased clipless shoes and pedals.

Now I just need to work on hills.

Cycling induced anoesis
    All in all, seems like a good learning experience. As far as your co-workers comments, I'd say if you didn't get dropped, you did hold your own.

And IME working on hills starts will hill repeats. No pain, no gain (as they say).

BTW, just a general observation (and I agree that a fitting is in order), but judging from the saddle height, fore/ aft saddle position, stem length and bar drop, your bike looks to be a good fit for you. Of course, this assumes you're comfortable on it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    keep it going pal... i started the same way...

my first 10miles seemed like forever and boy did i struggle the first time out...

this was a few weeks ago... 46 & 190lbs i figured i had plenty to give on my first run but man was a i wrong...

coming from motorcycle racing i had no clue the amount of work that went into cycling for miles..

well that was a few weeks ago... i kept at it and made sure i got out every weekend, pushing myself each day...

yesterday i did 54miles with a small group (5 Boro Bike Club) and today i banged out another 40miles on my own...

now i'm hooked and looking to push it more next week... hopefully do a 35 each way to complete a 70mile run....

so keep at it... make sure you drink plenty of water, vitamins, etc.. and bring protein bars or snacks... you'll be doing 100miles in no time...

ride safe

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    All in all, seems like a good learning experience. As far as your co-workers comments, I'd say if you didn't get dropped, you did hold your own.

And IME working on hills starts will hill repeats. No pain, no gain (as they say).

BTW, just a general observation (and I agree that a fitting is in order), but judging from the saddle height, fore/ aft saddle position, stem length and bar drop, your bike looks to be a good fit for you. Of course, this assumes you're comfortable on it.
    Thanks for the info. Did a search on "hill repeats" lots of info to digest but I think I got the point and will incorporate them into my routine.

As for the fit of the bike I actually couldn't believe how comfortable I was for the first ride. I was prepared to do seat adjustments but it all was fine. What I did notice towards the end of the ride was the feeling that I was reaching, no pain or discomfort just thought it would be nice to have bars closer at the end if that makes sense.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by mac4095 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Did a search on "hill repeats" lots of info to digest but I think I got the point and will incorporate them into my routine.

As for the fit of the bike I actually couldn't believe how comfortable I was for the first ride. I was prepared to do seat adjustments but it all was fine. What I did notice towards the end of the ride was the feeling that I was reaching, no pain or discomfort just thought it would be nice to have bars closer at the end if that makes sense.
    Yes, if you do a search on hill repeats cycling you'll get hits on a wealth of good info.

Re: the reach comment, yes it makes sense and is a simple (and common) adjustment. Mention it to the fitter, just as you described it here. Saddle and bar adjustments should be part of your fitting process.

Just as a FYI, I don't know what type of fitting you're looking to do, but at this point I think a standard fitting will suffice. As you build saddle time and fitness/ flexibility improve, your fit will evolve, so save your money on pro fits... at least for now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    Yes, if you do a search on hill repeats cycling you'll get hits on a wealth of good info.

Re: the reach comment, yes it makes sense and is a simple (and common) adjustment. Mention it to the fitter, just as you described it here. Saddle and bar adjustments should be part of your fitting process.

Just as a FYI, I don't know what type of fitting you're looking to do, but at this point I think a standard fitting will suffice. As you build saddle time and fitness/ flexibility improve, your fit will evolve, so save your money on pro fits... at least for now.
    Just a standard fitting included with bike perchance. Funny thing is that my hybrid/comfort bike I have been riding gave me more issues and is less comfortable than the paramount. Maybe it was a learning curve thing.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by mac4095 View Post
    Just a standard fitting included with bike perchance. Funny thing is that my hybrid/comfort bike I have been riding gave me more issues and is less comfortable than the paramount. Maybe it was a learning curve thing.
    Could be any number of reasons, or simply that the new bikes geo better suites your anatomy. If so, it'll make the process of dialing in fit pretty straightforward, and that's as it should be.

Let us know how the fitting goes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Your buddy was likely happy to have you along to ride with even if he could have dropped you.

I donít want it to make it sound like nothing because itís not, but flat is just flat. The hills are where the real sustained power is evidenced. I see it all the time on group rides. Most can keep up on the flats but once a hill comes up, bam! People scatter and wobble and slow hard Ė I hear nothing but the clinking of changing gears and see people up out of their saddles at modest inclines, wasting energy.

I look for routes that have hills. All different types Ė rolling, short and steep, longer and shallow, etc. Some of my regular routes are a little ugly and the roads are a bit banged up, but they have the hills I am looking for so I continue on them. Flats are for recovery, hills are for attacking.

People donít like the hills because it makes your ride so much slower, and itís hard, and you donít get far in terms of mileage. Use the next few months to build a base and some strength. Then, take a step back and go to those hills. Itíll make you stronger everywhere and youíll be a happier rider. But donít go there too fast, take the time to get that base. Itíll be challenging because youíll feel OK in terms of strength after riding for a while and then will be humbled and feel like your starting over when you hit the hills, that is too much for some to handle so they stick with the flats because they are happier there and donít feel dominated by the road (but they are).
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.