RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018

First Ride, first impression

Hi Folks,
    Today it was my first time riding a road bike. The bike is the schwinn solara from target.

According to Strava I did 7miles in 37min. It was a nice workout. Felt good. Easy on my knees and feet. The chair is very uncomfortable, though. Iím not overweight according to the BMI scale.

I also heard a tick tack noise once in a while from the bike, I think it was the speed change thing needing some minor tweak. The bike rides smooth and nice regardless of the occasional tick tack.

Other than that I think I found a morning exercise I can stick with, Iím liking it .

Any tip or advise from the more experts to this newbie is more than welcome.
    Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sounds like you're off to a good start. Since you didn't buy the bike in a bike shop, you may not have had someone knowledgeable set up the bike to fit you properly, but if your knees felt okay after the first ride, that's generally a good sign.

As for the saddle (that's the preferred term, rather than "chair"), it may not suit your body and riding style, or it may not be well-adjusted for you (height, fore-aft position, tilt), but it's hard to say after one ride. Saddles come in many shapes, and one that's comfortable for one rider may be torture for another. And even long-experienced road riders on equipment that works for them will experience some soreness on the first rides after a layoff. So give it a few more short rides and see how it goes. And try standing up on the pedals every few minutes to give your butt a break.

There are a lot of little tweaks to position that can help, but it's pretty much impossible to advise on that without seeing you in person.

Anyway, have fun, be careful -- and wear a helmet.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    Sounds like you're off to a good start. Since you didn't buy the bike in a bike shop, you may not have had someone knowledgeable set up the bike to fit you properly, but if your knees felt okay after the first ride, that's generally a good sign.

As for the saddle (that's the preferred term, rather than "chair"), it may not suit your body and riding style, or it may not be well-adjusted for you (height, fore-aft position, tilt), but it's hard to say after one ride. Saddles come in many shapes, and one that's comfortable for one rider may be torture for another. And even long-experienced road riders on equipment that works for them will experience some soreness on the first rides after a layoff. So give it a few more short rides and see how it goes. And try standing up on the pedals every few minutes to give your butt a break.

There are a lot of little tweaks to position that can help, but it's pretty much impossible to advise on that without seeing you in person.

Anyway, have fun, be careful -- and wear a helmet.
    Thanks you! I actually had more than just soreness, I had some nerve pinching. I went and bought a cut out saddle and also I think I need to move it forward and tilt the nose down just a little bit.
    I watched some videos from tony10speed on youtube about this topic.
    At least with this new cut out and better saddle, it is just a matter of adjusting the positioning until I don't feel nerve pinching anymore. Regarding the soreness, I just hope my body to get used to it over time. Let's see how it goes .

Russian Troll Farmer
    Well, you bought a VERY inexpensive aluminum frame bike. It's going to ride like a rock, and it probably weighs a ton. For the same amount of money, you could've gotten a good used road bike rather than a hybrid impersonating a road bike.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Well, you bought a VERY inexpensive aluminum frame bike. It's going to ride like a rock, and it probably weighs a ton. For the same amount of money, you could've gotten a good used road bike rather than a hybrid impersonating a road bike.
    What help does it do to tell the OP what he SHOULD have done. He's just starting out. If he grows to love the sport, he may want to upgrade in a couple of years. If not, he's not out very much $$.

Carofe, I would not go moving your saddle forward as that could be more stressful on your knees and I'm almost certain it won't do anyrhing for your soreness.

If you don't have a good quality pair of bike shorts with a good quality chamois, that should be your next expense. You didn't say whether you are male or female. Most men like their saddle level or the nose tilted slightly up. Most women like the nose tilted slightly down. I'm not sure what you mean by nerve pinching. If it's numbness, it is not normal and should not be ignored. If it's just sit bone soreness, that will go away the more you ride.

I would advise you to find a local bike shop and develop a relationship with them. Yes, I know you bought the bike at Target, but sooner or later, something on that bike will break. When it does, you will need a competent mechanic and I doubt you will find that at Target. Buy some accessories (like bike shorts) at the bike shop. Another thing you should do is have them check your fit. Since you didn't buy the bike there, they will charge you for this service.....unless if possibly you spend time there, buy accessories and after you get to know the people there, buy pizza for the employees.

Why do I stress a proper fit? Because a proper fit will make you more comfortable and increase your enjoyment of the bike. It will also lessen the chance of repetitive use injury down the road.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

ďStatistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.Ē -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    OK, Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018

First Ride, first impression

Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    What help does it do to tell the OP what he SHOULD have done. He's just starting out. If he grows to love the sport, he may want to upgrade in a couple of years. If not, he's not out very much $$.

Carofe, I would not go moving your saddle forward as that could be more stressful on your knees and I'm almost certain it won't do anyrhing for your soreness.

If you don't have a good quality pair of bike shorts with a good quality chamois, that should be your next expense. You didn't say whether you are male or female. Most men like their saddle level or the nose tilted slightly up. Most women like the nose tilted slightly down. I'm not sure what you mean by nerve pinching. If it's numbness, it is not normal and should not be ignored. If it's just sit bone soreness, that will go away the more you ride.

I would advise you to find a local bike shop and develop a relationship with them. Yes, I know you bought the bike at Target, but sooner or later, something on that bike will break. When it does, you will need a competent mechanic and I doubt you will find that at Target. Buy some accessories (like bike shorts) at the bike shop. Another thing you should do is have them check your fit. Since you didn't buy the bike there, they will charge you for this service.....unless if possibly you spend time there, buy accessories and after you get to know the people there, buy pizza for the employees.

Why do I stress a proper fit? Because a proper fit will make you more comfortable and increase your enjoyment of the bike. It will also lessen the chance of repetitive use injury down the road.
    You are right. I need to get proper fitting. Except for the bike, I have bought everything else at Performance Bicycle. Helmet, accessories, etc..., nice guys. The only reason I bought the bike at target was because I liked their $200 bike more than the deals at Performance. I didnít know about the extra services that comes when you buy it at a specialty store, good to know. As I told my wife, I wanted to spend just enough money to be able ride a road bike as a morning workout and see if I like it and Iím consistent with it. Then, if I see after a year or so I still like it and Iím still dedicating time for it and I get more experience and knowledge, I would like to invest in a much better bike.

Iím a male.

Thank you.
    Last edited by carofe; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:31 PM.