Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

first ride w/clipless.

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Sixjours 
#1 ·
After a short try out session clipping in and out yesterday went out this morning and did a 20 mile test run at a moderate pace. Conclusion, why have I waited this long to go clipless? Figured I'd be a little spent from yesterdays ride but everything felt good and I just kept going. The way this is going has me really motivated and I'm looking forward to improving. I have just set a goal for myself to work up to do a century. It's a lofty goal but it will give me something to work towards.

#5 ·
Agree with the first two posts. Clipless to me was an eye opener with how much easier it made things since there was no worrying or thinking about my feet.

Also, you WILL fall over while going approx 2 mph, likely to the opposite side that you have unclipped. And people will be watching. It happens. When it does, do not put your arm out to brace the fall, you can easily break your wrist.

#8 ·
The couple times I fell while being clipped was due to panic stops - someone not looking where they are going, an unmovable object jumping in front of me.

After a while, you learn to unclip without thinking in panic situations and still fall because you unclipped the foot :cryin:

#11 ·
Clipless is absolutely the way to go! :thumbsup: I would practice getting in and out of both sides so that your comfortable clipping out regardless of the situation. And as mentioned previously, keep your hands on the handlebar when you do have your fall, otherwise you can seriously screw up your shoulder if you reach out to break the fall.

#13 ·
Not everybody falls going clipless, its some kind of sick joke to scare off new riders, just go clipless, its like the evolution tree, some riders just dont have the smarts for it, they are better at chatting in forums... get it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.