RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

first ride w/clipless.

After a short try out session clipping in and out yesterday went out this morning and did a 20 mile test run at a moderate pace. Conclusion, why have I waited this long to go clipless? Figured I'd be a little spent from yesterdays ride but everything felt good and I just kept going. The way this is going has me really motivated and I'm looking forward to improving. I have just set a goal for myself to work up to do a century. It's a lofty goal but it will give me something to work towards.

Road Bike Mike
    Congrats.

Looking forward to your first "I fell while clipped in" post!
    Road Bike Mike
    Sharing the Love of Road Cycling

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    I commuted to work today for the first time going clipless. It's as if I have a new bike! The energy transfer is so much better. Now I'm wondering how can I take a longer route to work....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    Congrats, your post gives me courage

going clipless is my next thing on the list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Agree with the first two posts. Clipless to me was an eye opener with how much easier it made things since there was no worrying or thinking about my feet.

Also, you WILL fall over while going approx 2 mph, likely to the opposite side that you have unclipped. And people will be watching. It happens. When it does, do not put your arm out to brace the fall, you can easily break your wrist.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Yep had the oops unclipped wrong side feeling already but recovered. For first attempts had son standing by with camera to catch any falls, would have made a great video...
    2011 Schwinn Paramount series 7
    2012 Schwinn Searcher Sport

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    Very cool!

I'm looking forward to getting a cycle as soon as tax season is over and the first purchase (after a helmet) will be clipless pedals and shoes. Glad to hear there's hope!

Realist
    The couple times I fell while being clipped was due to panic stops - someone not looking where they are going, an unmovable object jumping in front of me.

After a while, you learn to unclip without thinking in panic situations and still fall because you unclipped the foot

Hold on I'm watching this
    I have my clipless pedals at the weakest setting, I found that I would rather come loose from the pedals vs. the risk of falling over....I have experienced falling over...twice...so far...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Clipless pedals are awesome...just prepare for your first fall.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Clipless is absolutely the way to go! I would practice getting in and out of both sides so that your comfortable clipping out regardless of the situation. And as mentioned previously, keep your hands on the handlebar when you do have your fall, otherwise you can seriously screw up your shoulder if you reach out to break the fall.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by felix5150 View Post
    keep your hands on the handlebar when you do have your fall,
    Over-coming that hard-wired tendency seems almost impossible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Not everybody falls going clipless, its some kind of sick joke to scare off new riders, just go clipless, its like the evolution tree, some riders just dont have the smarts for it, they are better at chatting in forums... get it!