RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013

First road bike help

Well I haven't road a road bike in a couple years. I just bought a 2004 giant tcr composite 0. Now I want to change the bars to drop bars what will I have to change. Plus how much do you think the bike worth

Cycling induced anoesis
    Given the modifications and based only on a pic - with no knowledge of what else has been done to the bike or it's overall condition, I'd guess at a value of around $300, max.

To convert back to drop bars, you'll obviously need the bars, along with STI shifters, new housings/ cables. Probably a new stem.

If you've never done similar work, I suggest you consider having your LBS do it.
    Last edited by PJ352; 07-30-2013 at 05:31 AM. Reason: clarification..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I, being curmudgeon would say look for another bike.

A carbon bike that old - unless you know the history of the bike is a bit scary. By the time you spend for the bars, the Ergo/STI/Double-Tap levers the bar tape and new tires, brake pads and Brake and derailleur cables you could almost buy an entry level bike with probably a step lower components but that are NEW and have a warranty and that you can have some confidence in.

Poster above is correct. $300 max for the bike as is but then $300 for new brifters (Cheap ones), maybe $50 to $100 for bars and stem if you get fairly cheap ones then $35 to $40 each for new tires, plus bar tape, cables, brake pads and cables and installation at a LBS you are looking at probably at least another $600.00.

$300.00 + $600.00 = $900.00 and that is a budget cost

You can buy a new bike for that and you are still left with worn derailleurs, chain and cassette.

Replace those for RD $80, FD $35, Chain $35, Cassette $50 = about $200 more

$900 + $200 = $1100.00

That price assumes you trust the fork to not snap because it has after market bars installed. If you replace the fork there is another $200 to $300 added to the price.

So that $300 used bike can suddenly cost you $1500.00 in total to be able to ride it safely

Then you spend that and the bearings on the hubs have to be replaced or you find the rims are worn out. "Rats," you say; "I need new wheels" and you fork out another $400. for those.

Ask yourself, is that then better than a Giant Avail for less money
    Giant Avail 3 Road Bike 2013 > Complete Bikes > Road Bikes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

The Giant above has lower end components but there is very, very little difference in performance between them and Ultegra for most riders and if you are comparing NEW Sora to USED Ultegra I'd take the NEW Sora.

I generally find a used bike to cost more than a new ones unless you have an envy worthy dead parts box and really know what you are doing.
    Last edited by Fai Mao; 07-30-2013 at 10:56 PM.
    Fai Mao
    A Proud Retrogrouch