RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017

First roadbike (tcr, allez, scultura) allu

Hi fellow riders,
    Planning on buying my first roadbike, already survey and research few brand & model, and come down to this few bike

Gaint tcr
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/int/tcr-slr-2

Specialized allez
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...ezelite/133817

Merida scultura
    https://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/...-400-6580.html

In term of costing and price i would say the merida have a good bargain, but i test ride both tcr n scultura on a trainer, the tcr fit like a glove.

The allez do have the colour design i like and by just looking at it make me want to ride all day long.

Because this is my first rb i limit my budget around $1000,.

Concerns about tackling uphill bcouse that my weak spots (currently on mtb), so that also among factors on choosing the bikes,

Do any have opinion on this matter, respon much appreciate.

Sent from my X9006 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Sorry and add to the op, besides all the technical factors, gaint here are the nearest lbs and they are kinda everywhere, but still specialized hv the best customer service to me. Warranty wise i would say merida seem to be the best, life time frame warranty and i could easily text merida from their lbs to merida team in Germany.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    I tested several brands when I started road biking 15+ years ago. Ended up selecting the Specialized Allez. Since then I've always bought Specialized. They ride/fit well for me and I prefer their style/color versus other brands. At the end of the day purchase the bike that makes you want to ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Experience quite similar like u, compare to other brand, specialized do seem a bit less value in terms price to components, but they do look wonderful. Thanks for the sharing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    I ride a 2015 (I think) Allez Elite and it works great. Light with the carbon fork, looks great, and is comfortable. Mine also have room for some pretty big tires too. I have 25s on right now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by padangchangkat View Post
    In term of costing and price i would say the merida have a good bargain, but i test ride both tcr n scultura on a trainer, the tcr fit like a glove.
    Then the Giant TCR is the bike I would recommend buying.

The allez do have the colour design i like and by just looking at it make me want to ride all day long.
    A bike that fits you well will make you want to ride all day long. A bike that doesn't fit you well will eventually hurt and may make you give up the sport regardless of whether you like the color or not. So all the more reason I recommend the Giant TCR.

Concerns about tackling uphill bcouse that my weak spots (currently on mtb), so that also among factors on choosing the bikes.
    There is only one way to get better at climbing hills, and that is to ride more hills. Practice, practice, practice. Nobody is born a good hill climber. Stick with it and it will come. Keep in mind that hill climbs on any of these bikes will be easier than on an MTB.

Warranty wise i would say merida seem to be the best, life time frame warranty and i could easily text merida from their lbs to merida team in Germany.
    Warranties are a good sales tactic to lure in buyers, but remember, a warranty is only as good as the company behind it. Some companies are great about honoring warranty repairs, some try to get out of it and claim user neglect or abuse whenever they can. Bike shops are generally pretty good at negotiating with companies they do business with. Giant has a pretty good reputation and would most likely honor any reasonable claims.
    Last edited by Lombard; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:13 AM.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post

A bike that fits you well will make you want to ride all day long. A bike that doesn't fit you well will eventually hurt and may make you give up the sport regardless of whether you like the color or not. So all the more reason I recommend the Giant TCR.

There is only one way to get better at climbing hills, and that is to ride more hills. Practice, practice, practice. Nobody is born a good hill climber. Stick with it and it will come. Keep in mind that hill climbs on any of these bikes will be easier than on an MTB.

Warranties are a good sales tactic to lure in buyers, but remember, a warranty is only as good as the company behind it. Some companies are great about honoring warranty repairs, some try to get out of it and claim user neglect or abuse whenever they can. Bike shops are generally pretty good at negotiating with companies they do business with. Giant has a pretty good reputation and would most likely honor any reasonable claims.
    +1..... Well said.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post

Hi bro, thanks for your opinion, especially the hill practice tips, already get the allez 2018, (since within budget and manage to tune it to a conformable sizing).

Thanks all for your opinion and experience sharing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hi bro, thanks for your opinion, especially the hill practice tips, already get the allez 2018, (since within budget and manage to tune it to a conformable sizing).

Thanks all for your opinion and experience sharing.

Win-win! Congrats! Fit is of paramount importance, so great they could dial in the Allez for you. Wishing you many happy miles!
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger