Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Front brake problem

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  bobkingx 
#1 ·
I just got a Univega with Shimano 600 components. I'm new to road bikes and really new to bike maintenance. The front brake is loose and doesn't release, meaning that when i go to brake it closes but does not reopen, a bit of a problem, how do I fix this?
thanks in advance

#2 ·
bobkingx said:
I just got a Univega with Shimano 600 components. I'm new to road bikes and really new to bike maintenance. The front brake is loose and doesn't release, meaning that when i go to brake it closes but does not reopen, a bit of a problem, how do I fix this?
thanks in advance
Start by disconecting the cable at the caliper. Close it by hand does it pop back open?

Pull on the cable by hand and work the lever. Does it work easily?

TF

EDIT: First close the caliper by hand with the cable still attached to see if it pops back open. - TF

#3 ·
The fix

TurboTurtle told you how to diagnose the problem, which could be in your calipers or your cables. If the calipers are the problem, put a few drops of oil on the points where they move, and work them by hand (it's easier to do this with the wheel(s) out of the frame). It is possible that things are so gunky or corroded that you would have to take the brakes apart, but 9 times out of 10, adding a little oil and working it in will fix it. If the problem is in the cables, then clean and lube, or replace if they are shot.

#4 ·
I think it's the cable

Thanks for the help, like I said I'm pretty inexperienced, but I'll try to describe the problem in more detail. When I clamp down to brake the handle does not return to it's tight state, I think this means it's the cable. I've tried pulling more of the cable through at the lever next to the pad (I'm not sure if this is the caliper or what, but it is also not tense when I release it or put it back down)
I think it's the cable, but I need to get some more tools before I think I can fix it, what will I need if it is the cable?
Thanks for the help, I'm starting to get a very basic grasp of what's going on here, and really appreciate you taking time to help a newbie.

#5 ·
bobkingx said:
Thanks for the help, like I said I'm pretty inexperienced, but I'll try to describe the problem in more detail. When I clamp down to brake the handle does not return to it's tight state, I think this means it's the cable. I've tried pulling more of the cable through at the lever next to the pad (I'm not sure if this is the caliper or what, but it is also not tense when I release it or put it back down)
I think it's the cable, but I need to get some more tools before I think I can fix it, what will I need if it is the cable?
Thanks for the help, I'm starting to get a very basic grasp of what's going on here, and really appreciate you taking time to help a newbie.
Take a look here:

Park Tool

thanks

petzi-baer

#7 ·
find where the cable ends..

bobkingx said:

in the brake hood..there should be a "stopper" on the cable end...after unclamping/unscrewing the cable from teh front brake caliper, simply push the cable backwards while holding the brake closed (like you're braking during a ride)...the end of the cable should push backwards through the hood...keep the brake level held and push the end of the new cable back through and into the cable housing..the end should pop up at the brake caliper...with the wheel on, hold the brake caliper closed against the wheel rim and tighten the cable in place...use the microadjusters (if its has any) to do the fine adjustments accordingly to allow for wheel trueness ("wobble"). adjust to personal preference...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.