Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    scruffy nerf herder

well...

Here is the thing... there are marginal benefits... you know, the abrasion, cleaning, lotion, tanning, aerodynamics... lah de dah. But for the most part, it comes down to the aesthetics. It looks cool, feels nice, and says..... "IM A CYCLIST".... or, well... or "IM A SWIMMER"... or... I guess it could say ...."IM A CROSS DRESSER" ... but whichever reason you go for, you can always try it. Leg hair grows back at AMAZING SPEED.

So if you are into that... go for it. Lance shaves.
    so sayeth the funk....

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The RBR Lounge. You won't ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Gentlemen...welcome to the future...

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/buyinpri...d2samas1b.html

PALMARES: My wife LOVES this thing! Got it as a promo item from the local supermarket--she has not stopped saying how good it is.
    Last edited by FishrCutB8; 06-09-2005 at 10:44 AM.

Shirtcocker
    M3 Power is the only razor to get these days. Doubles as a vibrator if you're so inclined.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    How often do you guys find you are replacing your blades?? I've asked my wife, but she's been doing the waxing thing for the last little while and can't really remember. Plus, everytime I bring up shaving and questions she always comes back with "Waxing is much easier"....Might be easier, but sure looks a heck of a lot more painful...

Rich

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

Nair

Just gotta throw this out there to those that have the $ or only shave for big events or every 2 weeks or so. This stuff eats through hair like a weed wacker through the grass. Slap it on, wipe it off in about 8 minutes, and presto and closer 'shave' than a razor, half the time, no cuts, last longer, and doesn't need a preshave if your hair is long. And for those of you using mach 3s this might be cheaper because them blades ain't cheap!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004

Another Benefit?

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiece
    Just gotta throw this out there to those that have the $ or only shave for big events or every 2 weeks or so. This stuff eats through hair like a weed wacker through the grass. Slap it on, wipe it off in about 8 minutes, and presto and closer 'shave' than a razor, half the time, no cuts, last longer, and doesn't need a preshave if your hair is long. And for those of you using mach 3s this might be cheaper because them blades ain't cheap!
    Maybe it's just psychological, but I swear that another advantage to shaving is that my legs feel cooler on hot days.

Anyone else experienced this?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fogdweller
    Any of you retro fans out there, I have some Campy single blade models from the 70s/80s, new in the box. Single blade, Ha! You scoff but these blades last 10,000 shaves and work without shaving cream. Make me an offer...
    I actually have two Gillette double edge razors. Twist the knob at the end of the handle and the blade holder opens like a missle silo. There's an adjustment under the head for fine or coarse grind. Also a "Lady's Shick" razor, metallic blue with a long handle. All circa 1960's.

Or you can do the antique shops and find straight razors. Jeez! They're scary!

banned
    The problem with depilatories is that they're caustic. Caustic enough to desolve the protein in hair. Right on the label they warn that some days your skin is fine with this stuff and other days it will react in a "rash" -- which is really a chemical burn.

Waxing works for women because the hair on their legs is finer, smaller roots and not as dense. Grab a fist full of hair on your head and rip it out. This is what waxing is all about -- ripping the hair out by the roots.

I found a decent tool, actually a girlfriend found it.

Conair Hair Removal System.

http://www.conair.com/conair/product...sp?product=214

It's a pair of pumice wheels that rotate in opposite directions. Besides grinding the hair off, it also smooths the skin. Down side is that it leaves a lot of "skin dust" as it goes. But no cuts.

It works for reasonable fine hair. Not sure if it would smooth out a Sasquatch. They're about $50 at CostCo. Yeah, it's marketed to women. Somewhere along the line you're going to have to get comfortable with the idea that if you're shaving your legs, you're going to have to buy products marketed to women who shave their legs.

We could package these in black with red trim and call them "Conair Velocette." But at least they're not pink and named "Love Your Legs!"

use the crosswind
    Quote Originally Posted by RodeRash
    Waxing works for women because the hair on their legs is finer, smaller roots and not as dense. Grab a fist full of hair on your head and rip it out. This is what waxing is all about -- ripping the hair out by the roots.
    For my first time, following my wife's suggestion, I had my legs waxed. Not cheap, but not too painful either -- if you can stand the pain of road rash you can handle getting your legs waxed for f*ck's sake!

Once the legs are bare, maintenance, shaving, is a cinch. Follow the sage advice above, and your legs 'll be very happy!
    Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
    --John Stuart Mill

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by velocity
    For my first time, following my wife's suggestion, I had my legs waxed. Not cheap, but not too painful either -- if you can stand the pain of road rash you can handle getting your legs waxed for folk's sake!

Once the legs are bare, maintenance, shaving, is a cinch. Follow the sage advice above, and your legs 'll be very happy!
    Waxing lasts 4, maybe 6 weeks. The hair follicles that are ripped out get replaced by new follicles. Evidently your skin has a reason for being covered with hair, and ripping it out by the roots just causes new roots to grow back -- just like pinching the buds on a plant cause the plant to generate new buds. It's a Darwinian survival strategy.

Shaving once waxed legs is just a means of transitioning from waxing to shaving as the new follicles re-generate. Once they're back, you'd never know you'd waxed.

(OK, listen, my girlfriend and I did a heap of research on this whole shaving, hair removal thing. Laser is expensive but eventually the hair grows back. Electrolosis is REALLY spendy and permanent. But electolosis on your legs would cost you about what a decent road bike runs these days.)

The wet/dry electric shavers seem to open a new window on the technology. I haven't tried one. I've decided that a blade and lather is the least bothersome, most economical in the long haul.

But you might look at the Conair rig . . .

It's in the game!

Bad shaver ALERT!

I thought I would save some money and buy something cheaper than the Gillette Mach 3 and tried the Bic 3 blade razor and it was a mistake...it gets dull after one shaving and clogs too easily.

It's in the game!

Bad shaver alert

I tried

It's all ball bearings
    Quote Originally Posted by funknuggets
    It looks cool, feels nice, and says..... "IM A CYCLIST".... or, well... or "IM A SWIMMER"... or... I guess it could say ...."IM A CROSS DRESSER" ... but whichever reason you go for, you can always try it. Leg hair grows back at AMAZING SPEED.

So if you are into that... go for it. Lance shaves.
    Actually, a lot of different athletes (at an elite level) shave their legs including pro football and basketball players, wrestlers (grecco-roman, not WWF), gymnasts, etc.

Another good reason for shaving if you are a mountain biker who lives on the east coast, it's WAY easier to spot ticks and they dont have as much to cling onto to begin with. I've had Lyme Disease a couple of times and dont want to get it again.

Also, I replace blades every single time i shave, and I can only shave about once every 6 or 7 days (i can only comfortably shave my face every 3 days without razor burn, i guess it's just the way my hair is).

I've been shaving for a long time many due to the tick reason above, and my biggest problem has been red bumps on the upper thighs near the naughty bits. I still havent found a good remedy, and I'm NOT into the sasquatch shorts look (neither is my girl).

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd have to agree with you about using the blade...I've just made it a Friday night ritual...Go for a ride or hit the gym, then shower at home and shave right after...That way I have nice smooth legs for the weekend rides with my wife...Take that anyway you want ;)

Rich

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004

Btw Big Tip!

Stay away from the Venus. The GF and I did a little study... the results were conclusive! The Venus is dulled down to stop women from cutting themselves. The Mach 3 on the other hand is not, my legs are noticeably smoother, and I have less problems than she does. She now uses my razo (damnit!). I have never cut myself and can shave quite fast, the Mach 3 is soooo much better than the venus... plus the plastic handle feels cheap haha.

K

Try the newer Venus Divine. They're currently running a special combo pack called Girl2Goddess

Reveal the goddess in you. Now you can get a divinely close shave, for divinely smooth skin, even in sensitive spots. Includes 1 Venus Divine razor, 2 refill cartridges and 1 mini Satin Care shave gel.

<jon stewart voice>mmmmm....ahhhhh....smoooooth......hmmmmmmm.. ...silky...ooooh</jon stewart voice>
    Last edited by divve; 07-12-2005 at 02:57 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    I think the reason why the women's razors don't work for guys is because women have thinner hair.
    "Fashion is a form of ugliness so intollerable that we have to alter it every 6 months."
    -Oscar Wilde

Spin Diesel
    So lets say this "friend" of mine is considering trying out this shaving thing for the first time and has read the funks bible but the dumbass does not know what a loofah is, what do I tell him? does anyone have a picture I can show him? I mean I know what it is but apparently he doesn't so I'd like to help him out? Thanks
    On your left!

scruffy nerf herder

Try this...

http://www.loofahspongesupply.com/loofah1.htm

But you can find them anywhere, any drug store or bath and body type stores. Tell your "friend" to claim it is for their significant other. there are natural and plastic types of loofahs.
    so sayeth the funk....

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The RBR Lounge. You won't ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious."

Spin Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by funknuggets
    http://www.loofahspongesupply.com/loofah1.htm

But you can find them anywhere, any drug store or bath and body type stores. Tell your "friend" to claim it is for their significant other. there are natural and plastic types of loofahs.
    my "friend" says thanks
    On your left!

Road Rash FEVER!!!
    Ahhh. Finally. Be Asian pays off... I'm ASIAN AND I'M HAIRLESS!!! HEAR ME ROAR!!!
    [font=georgia]"If it ain't fixed, it's broken."

Spin Diesel

wow

my friend just absolutely loves this new sleek look wow !!!!!!. Its like my legs....... er I mean his legs were these beautiful specimens hiding under all the hair and he is just amazed by this new found beauty, so much so that he often finds himself gazing lovingly at them and caresing them at random moments.
    On your left!

Cycling Boob
    WTH? im asian too but i got hairy legs. must be a mutation in my family line when they were still in China.

It's all ball bearings
    this loofah thing seems to work pretty well for preventing ingrown hairs (i had never used one before)...but it keeps rubbing off my hard-earned tan!

RoadBikeReview Member

If someone asks if or why you shave your legs.

I have a great response if someone ever asks if or why you shave your legs:

Q: "Do you shave your legs?!"

A: "No need. Hair doesn't grow on solid steel."

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast