RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    Try a straight razor
    You NEVER replace blades
    It takes off 1/4 of the leg hair at a time. READ REDUCES SPLITS BY 25%
    It is HIGH CARBON STAINLESS STEEL... wow CARBON AND STEEL
    Gotta love it!
    You can use it on your face too!
    From what I have experienced there are LESS ingrown hairs this way too!
    It's best to shave WITH the grain of the hair using this one boys and girls.
    Picked up on world travels..."AFwan La KHabrak Bess Kullal Tura'at bil muntuk Mu sh la illek Bes"
    TRANSLATION:Sorry to give you the news but all the roads in town aren't here for you alone!
    Well at least it worked in the Arabic speaking world!
    Here in Florida where they kill quite frequently the best bet is ditch the conversation and dive off the horse!

banned
    Trust me on this one . . .

Remington "Soft & Silky" wet dry electic shaver. They have one with regular heads and a titanium head -- but you can replace the reg. head with the titanium.

About $45.00

Battery charge, on a recharge stand. Light blue so it doesn't look TOOOOOOOOO girly. At least it's not pink floral print.

Designed for legs, but works for faces too. You can take it in the tub, the shower, the pool -- with shaving cream, or it works dry on the sink counter. Decent amps in the motor, plenty of power.

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Help! I moisturize every day and shave every 4-5 days.. I'm beginning not to stand
    the burn after I shower and shave.. moisturizer helps but not enough.. New blades
    no help.. mach 3 turbo razor with every differnt kind of shaving cream..
    Help I can't stop the itch! It burns..

Quote Originally Posted by funknuggets
    So, you are a roadie now... or have just fallen prey to the cycling society and have decided to shave. So you are reading this for one of three reasons.... one, because you are considering shaving, two, have shaved and are having... issues, or three have been shaving and want to hop on and give your two cents. Whichever way, this is the undeniable truth to shaving for men and I dont feel like typing this every single time someone asks about shaving issues. Follow these methods and I promise you a season of happy and smooth legs to impress the gals (or guys) at the office.

First of all, why to shave... good freaking question. I think because Eddy M was actually genetically hairless and everyone wanted to mimic him... but seriously if you have to ask who Eddy is, you do not qualify to shave your legs anyway. Really, shaving is arguable as to why, but it is what it is... is it more aerodynamic... probably, but only slightly so. It is easier to clean those pesky newbie chainring tatoos, it does decrease friction when sliding in a wreck on pavement, it does make it easier to massage, apply lotion, and dammit, it just plain looks cool!

Why am I writing this, good question... am I qualified? Interesting question. Im still not at the point where I can shave dry, like my wife, nor am I very fast, but... alas, I have nicely shaved legs without bumps, ingrown hairs, razor burn...etc. Plus, I helped one GIRL with some stubborn.... private area issues out with this technique.... (get your head out of the gutter)

So here it goes, consider this your manual, and sooner or later you will get the hang of it.

Step 1:Go to the store and get a few things....

--A Gilette Mach 3 or Mach 3 turbo, or hell, Ive even heard they have razors out with 4 or 5 blades. Get one of those, belive me, you will reap the benefits of your investment.

--Some kind of shaving cream, or hair conditioner

--A good, nonscented, noncolored lotion

--A loofah (tell them it is for your girlfriend or wife...)

Step 2. Clearing the forest of the trees. Get your hedge trimmers, beard trimmer, head razor, etc and clear off all the long hair, most cyclists stop mid thigh, but some are horrified by the looks of "hair shorts" and go further up. Either way, the method is the same. Please follow this technique, cause if you try and shave the long hair its gonna take you a year and you will be sitting in the bathtub amid a sea of hair... do it.

Step 3. Have Blade, Will Cut - Once you have the hair down to a manageable level, lets get down to shaving. Do yourself a favor and NEVER SHAVE with a SINGLE BLADED razor. Holy crap, thats a recipie for disaster. I do shave in the bath... yes a BATH, showers wash off all the soap/shaving cream and make it difficult to see what you are doing. There is a lot of discussion about what to use for a lubricant (insert rim shot here...), but honestly... you can use shaving cream, I prefer a gel, but honestly I have found plain old hair conditioner to work as good or better than anything. Soak your legs for a min, then coat them, and start shaving. Some people say shave down... blah blah blah, thats a crock of crap. Just shave opposite the hair, you will have much better results. Please note that your hairs will grow in differing directions, especially on the back and insides of your thighs... take your time and just get it right the first time. Be really careful along the front of your shin, on your achilles tendon, around your ankles, and behind your knees

Step 4: Managing the Beast - regardless of what your issues (unless you are just cutting yourself), follow the following regimen RELIGIOUSLY and your issues... ingrown hairs, red bumps, dry skin, etc... will likely disappear.

A. Every time you shower, loofah the bejeesus out of your legs. This is a process called EXFOLIATION. This is paramount and especially pay attention to the areas that are prone to the ingrown hairs.. insides of thighs, back of legs. Do this VIGOROUSLY, this will toughen the skin and exfoliate dead skin. I just use soap.

B. Every time you get OUT of the shower (or bath), pat dry your legs and wait a few minutes, then apply a GOOD lotion, I use Nivea or Neutrogena, but Curel, and Vasoline brands are all decent, but get a lotion that has little color or scents, sometimes legs are REALLY sensitive to that.

C. If you get up in the morning and your legs are dry, lotion again.

If you get the little hairs groing under your skin, you need to loofah harder. Pick them out with a pin, or they will likely get red and look like little pimples.

So, exfoliate and moisturize. That is the secret to maintenance. Plus, dont shave every day. I have found that every 4-7 days is sufficient.

Best of luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I heartily recommend foam-less shaving lotions. They don't have soap in them and they don't dry out your skin. Plus, many include moisturizers.

I've been using an Alba Botanica product - you use very little, so it doesn't clog the razor as badly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Thnaks for the shaving tips . I think I have the wife convinced!!!! We'll see though although she did ask why. And all I could muster was that I wanted to be like everyone else. and it looks cool.. Her reply.. was the typical rolling of the eyes and whatever

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    well I bit the bullet and shaved. Using all of the advise I ended up with no issues. And believe it or not my wife loves it. Go figure

scruffy nerf herder

see...

Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    well I bit the bullet and shaved. Using all of the advise I ended up with no issues. And believe it or not my wife loves it. Go figure
    I told you it was undeniable. Keep it up with the loofah, seriously. Its often week after you often start to see issues after the first time. Welcome to the club. You will definitely ride faster now... or at least feel faster.
    so sayeth the funk....

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The RBR Lounge. You won't ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Ok, I'm confused. As easy as this topic is...(shave and done)

For those that don't want hair shorts...what the heck do you do...in the back? Umm...where is the stopping point?

F = ma
    Sep 2005
    This part is crucial. Here's what you do: get an old school single blade razor that looks like a knife. Sharpen. Lather up. Attack forest untill nothing is left. Watch out for your boys!!!

Actually I'm not sure either. I figure go up to your lower back. If you dont, your significant other will just laugh at you because it wont be pretty to look at. Funny, Yes. Pretty, NO!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Razors

Thought I would put my two cents into this post. I have been shaving my legs for more than 15 years now. I find that a women's razor works best for the legs. I use Schick Quattro for Women. It has four blades and little vertical wires so you don't cut your legs. I also use women's shave gel. The best I have found is Skintimate. I also use a loofa (sp) every time I shower. I shave my legs twice a week and I never get ingrown hairs or cut my legs.
    Goto :http://www.quattroforwomen.com/sq_master_flash.cfm?rd=1
    and http://www.skintimate.com/home.asp

Good luck

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Shave it all

Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut
    Ok, I'm confused. As easy as this topic is...(shave and done)

For those that don't want hair shorts...what the heck do you do...in the back? Umm...where is the stopping point?

I shave it all. Head to toe. Everything but the eyebrows (trim those).
    My wife loves the fact I don't have any body hair. Never met a woman yet that does not like a well groomed man.

Just Give 'Er!
    "The main thing is to not cut yourself and bleed to death in the tub." -- Frankie Andreu (Retired USPS Racer) on leg shaving advice

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    I'm having more success with using Gold Bond Body Lotion on my legs BEFORE I shower and shave. This seems to lessens the itchy feeling after getting out of the shower.
    I'm up for testing other lotions. But the gold bond doesn't seem to risne off while
    you shower (just don't wash it off before you shave).

Also stop using non lotion soap after shaving - that dries them out quickly too.

Step 1:Go to the store and get a few things....

--A Gilette Mach 3 or Mach 3 turbo, or hell, Ive even heard they have razors out with 4 or 5 blades. Get one of those, belive me, you will reap the benefits of your investment.

--Some kind of shaving cream, or hair conditioner

--A good, nonscented, noncolored lotion

A. Every time you shower, loofah the bejeesus out of your legs. This is a process called EXFOLIATION. This is paramount and especially pay attention to the areas that are prone to the ingrown hairs.. insides of thighs, back of legs. Do this VIGOROUSLY, this will toughen the skin and exfoliate dead skin. I just use soap.

B. Every time you get OUT of the shower (or bath), pat dry your legs and wait a few minutes, then apply a GOOD lotion, I use Nivea or Neutrogena, but Curel, and Vasoline brands are all decent, but get a lotion that has little color or scents, sometimes legs are REALLY sensitive to that.

Best of luck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Isnt the whole hair thing related to earwax, or maybe that was body odor and sweat, heard an NPR thing bout crumbly vs waxy ear wax...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    I beg to differ with this shaving thread.

Have you tried waxing? There is no stubble, and there is no need to do it very often (monthly at most), your legs don't turn into thick black forests of hair when you don't shave, and it is not as painful as some would make out.

Just Give 'Er!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter5
    I beg to differ with this shaving thread.

Have you tried waxing? There is no stubble, and there is no need to do it very often (monthly at most), your legs don't turn into thick black forests of hair when you don't shave, and it is not as painful as some would make out.
    look, you hom-i mean metro-sexual: how dare you call the funk's bible into question. i suggest you let your 12-post count grow before taking such radical action. the funk is all things good and no things bad. praise be to funk.
    cmatcan - I have to ask this - What the H%ll is that in your avatar??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cmatcan
    look, you hom-i mean metro-sexual: how dare you call the funk's bible into question. i suggest you let your 12-post count grow before taking such radical action. the funk is all things good and no things bad. praise be to funk.
    *grin*
    My post-count may be low, but I have 16 years experience in both shaving,home waxing, salon waxing, epiladies (ouch!), and 'nair'.

My apologies to the Funk.

Yes, I am a cyclist of the female variety.
    Regards,
    Peta.

scruffy nerf herder
    Hey, this is only really written in the perspective of man. For the most part, we man-people typically will have an extreme aversion to anything of a wax solution, partially because the hair exits our body in the thickness of 12 ga spokes. Waxing feels like pulling out things attached to to bone. Not that I have tried... ok... I have and to even consider waxing anywhere near the neithers... you would be plumb freaking crazy. I'm not going to doubt any one that comes on here from the feminine persuasion... you gals got FLEETS more experience than I... but coming from a member of the sex that is more closely related to a grizzly bear, I think this is pretty good information... for men at least. Women are different, they say they need to shave and it is difficult to see their hairs sometimes. Me... when I dont shave, it begins to look like I ran through a sea of gnats or pepper.... so... no waxing for me. Call me a wuss, but Im gonna go thumbs down on that. Peter5, feel free to disagree all you want, but offer some different alternatives OTHER THAN waxing, por favor.
    so sayeth the funk....

Chris

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The RBR Lounge. You won't ever find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious."

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am a male and I use an epilator (made by Braun). I came to remove my body hair not because af cycling but because years ago, as a dancer, I had trouble with pain around my knees. It was bad enough that just the feel of fabric on them hurt. I went to a doctor about it and although what he suggested (Capsaiscin) helped it wasn't a real solution. What I finally discovered was that when I warmed up and did splits that the combination of tights and the usual flooring was pulling on the hair around my knees and somehow irritating layers of tissue underneath. I tried removing the hair and got relief. The next issue for me was how to keep the hair away with the least bother and what I landed on was the epilator (various companies make them) which is a set of mechanical tweezers in a rotating head. It removes hairs by the root so it is longer lasting than shaving and results in no stubble. While it is not permanent like laser treatments or electolysis it does last a while and depending on who you are and what body part you're talking about you can go from days to weeks between uses. As time goes on the hair that does grow back is finer and yet easier to remove. You do have to be careful not to pinch yourself, especially around sensitive areas.

Road Biking was a match for me as I already had the legs for it (snicker).

Dancer

Hey, this is only really written in the perspective of man. For the most part, we man-people typically will have an extreme aversion to anything of a wax solution, partially because the hair exits our body in the thickness of 12 ga spokes. Waxing feels like pulling out things attached to to bone. Not that I have tried... ok... I have and to even consider waxing anywhere near the neithers... you would be plumb freaking crazy. I'm not going to doubt any one that comes on here from the feminine persuasion... you gals got FLEETS more experience than I... but coming from a member of the sex that is more closely related to a grizzly bear, I think this is pretty good information... for men at least. Women are different, they say they need to shave and it is difficult to see their hairs sometimes. Me... when I dont shave, it begins to look like I ran through a sea of gnats or pepper.... so... no waxing for me. Call me a wuss, but Im gonna go thumbs down on that. Peter5, feel free to disagree all you want, but offer some different alternatives OTHER THAN waxing, por favor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey guys have you ever tried nair for men. I tried it for the first time today and I was amazed at the results. No more shaving for me except in a couple little tiny areas. Nair is this cream that you put all over your legs and let it sit for about 10 mintues after that goes into the bath tub with the water running take a wash cloth and start pushing upward and it takes the hair off like a charm. PLUS!!!!! there are no cuts, bumps or irratation. you can pick it up at Walmart, CVS, kmart, Walgreens. Soo give it a try a see for your self

bas
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by russianrocket
    Hey guys have you ever tried nair for men. I tried it for the first time today and I was amazed at the results. No more shaving for me except in a couple little tiny areas. Nair is this cream that you put all over your legs and let it sit for about 10 mintues after that goes into the bath tub with the water running take a wash cloth and start pushing upward and it takes the hair off like a charm. PLUS!!!!! there are no cuts, bumps or irratation. you can pick it up at Walmart, CVS, kmart, Walgreens. Soo give it a try a see for your self
    You hair must be fine.

I tried something similiar. I had burns on me! I was a neosporin abuser a few days later.

Google it: hair removal products burn

Ya, what ATP said...!

Endurance Record

Leave it to the Funk to start a thread that would still be getting posts in its 11th month. Long live the Funk!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quite an impressive guide we have here. Haven't taken the plunge yet and still examining all options. Has anyone had any experience with the Norelco Bodygroom? It's got some good reviews on Amazon, but nothing specifically related to the legs.

If nothing else, the website is hilarious: www.shaveeverywhere.com/

I Type, Therefore I Am
    Quote Originally Posted by SplijinX
    I was just gonna post this site.
    I am a Man. I shave with soap, in the shower, using a Mach 3 (men's ) handle with a Venus blade (though I may switch since someone said they are duller than the Men's).
    I forgot about the loofah thing. I had one but threw it out 'cause it got old but need to get a new one.
    For moisturizing, I went through a lot of lotions but always thought they were too expensive for as much as I was using. I thought baby oil was the solution, but it made me break out. Are you ready for my solution? Olive Oil. That's right. It's inexpensive and it works. Best of all? It's a food! No chemicals. Anything you rub on your skin gets absorbed into your bloodstream. Wouldn't you rather rub on something that is good for you rather than a bunch of chemicals?
    As for shaving direction, below my knees I can pretty much shave any direction I please, but in the upper thighs, I have to go in the direction of growth or it's a mess. I think the higher temps and rubbing clothes irritate me in those areas, but that is a personal thing and not the same for everybody.
    Seriously though. Try the Olive Oil. I think you'll be pleased.
    Last edited by Mr Wood; 05-01-2007 at 09:35 AM.
    "Wind doesn't suck, it blows." - my friend Bill
    "Knowin' the time ain't gonna get me there quicker" -Fear

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SplijinX
    Quite an impressive guide we have here. Haven't taken the plunge yet and still examining all options. Has anyone had any experience with the Norelco Bodygroom? It's got some good reviews on Amazon, but nothing specifically related to the legs.

I bought this about two weeks ago so I could stop using my mustache trimmer on... err... certain parts of my body. It works great in the nether reigions. It also has attachments to just trim body hair. I have trimmed the hair on my leg down considerably and It has worked really well. I'm just not ready to shave it all the way.

The only draw back so far is that the hair does grow back faster than using my mach 3. I did like the fact that it is a wet dry shaver, but norelco warns not to use it anywhere above the neck line.

All in all, this poduct is good but not great.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast