Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Cycling induced anoesis
    That is a great story. I wish you many more.

If it's any consolation, those of us at the other end of the sizing spectrum (needing the S/ 52's) have similar experiences finding appropriately sized bikes. Be patient, you'll find THE one.

Keep us posted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    A bike is a smile inducement machine, no matter what shape you're in. I still feel like a kid every time I go for a ride. Modern bike frames and components have changed so much in the last 40 years, to the good. Get a comfortable bike, a comfortable seat, a good professional fitting and then get to it.

When starting out, lengthen your rides in incremental steps. Take it easy and warm up gently at first, before pushing up the pace. Read and research all you can on riding, technique and how to maintain your bike. As you can easily see, there's a great knowledge base here on this forum. Youtube is full of good stuff and some not so good stuff. As an example of the better stuff, the lighthearted guys at GCN on Youtube have tips on just about every aspect of cycling for all levels of cyclists. I'm always learning, even as an old dog.

You have a great attitude and will succeed at your fitness goals. The main thing is to have fun while you get fit. Let us know what bike you end up getting and your progress.
    At my age, it's all uphill!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    As a 350 pound rider, do look at steel frame, and spend any extra money on wheels! I popped spokes 4 times, (32 spoke wheels on my Jamis Aurora) finally got a milled White rear hub-then ripped the spokes out of it. I'm down to 330 now and haven't popped a spoke this season. I put 48 spoke wheels on my fixie and have had no problems with those wheels. Do check your spokes every ride. I went to bib shorts for comfort & recommend Areotech Designs for big/tall guys, up to 5x.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Sorry for my absence the last couple of days. I had an small incident outside a grocery store here in town and I've been hiding under a rock for a while.

I rode my bike over to a local grocery store that is about 3 miles from where I live. My thinking was I could use a bike path for most of the ride and take a break at the grocery store before returning home. I made it to the grocery fine and walked back outside to remount my bike. I don't have the clipless pedals on my bike, just regular flat pedals. Anyway, there were a dozen tables for people to sit and enjoy their coffee or whatever near where I parked my bike. I swung my right leg over the seat to try and get on my bike and, unfortunately, my leg didn't clear the seat. So I had my leg up higher than my hip with the edge of my shoe caught on the edge of the seat. I started hopping backwards as I lost my balance and within two to three hops eventually fell back on my butt and lower back. The pain in my butt wasn't as noticeable as the laughter coming from some of the tables. I actually laughed too as I'm sure it was visually pretty funny. I lost my smile when I heard someone say "Fat Fcuk" I don't think they were addressing me directly as much as making a comment. I walked the bike around the side of the grocery and managed to get back on and rode home.

I know this small event shouldn't bother me but, for some reason it did. I didn't ride yesterday but will try to ride again tomorrow. Sorry to vent, obviously I've put myself in the position to be mildly ridiculed. I can't wait to increase my riding time and miles and lose a 100 pounds of this embarrASSment.
    On a more positive note, next week a Kona that is my size will arrive at the Bike store and I'm looking forward to trying it out. I think steel is the best way to go for now.
    Thanks again for your comments and suggestions. Nothing is taken for granted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Listen, I've been a fat guy for most of my adult life, I never reached the 300s, but hovering at 250 and being 5.10ish you'll realize that my frame was not the prettiest either. I've been called many things, but then at the end who cares, right?
    The only thing that matters is that you want to change and you are working towards your goal. You'll fall, get hurt, people will laugh, but fcuk them instead, next time just have headphones and blast your favorite tunes while you fall on the ground...
    Please, don't let it get to you, I weight 183 lbs now, and even at this point it took me a long time to finally believe that I am not a fat guy anymore, because of all those episodes that drilled that into my head.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo2081 View Post
    Listen, I've been a fat guy for most of my adult life, I never reached the 300s, but hovering at 250 and being 5.10ish you'll realize that my frame was not the prettiest either. I've been called many things, but then at the end who cares, right?
    The only thing that matters is that you want to change and you are working towards your goal. You'll fall, get hurt, people will laugh, but fcuk them instead, next time just have headphones and blast your favorite tunes while you fall on the ground...
    Please, don't let it get to you, I weight 183 lbs now, and even at this point it took me a long time to finally believe that I am not a fat guy anymore, because of all those episodes that drilled that into my head.

This! Though I don't recommend headphones while riding - definite no-no.

There will always be crass a-holes who will ridicule you. But the vast majority of people with commend you for having the courage to get out and be active! Don't let it get to you. They are just a-holes.

And you may want to learn the correct way to get on a bicycle so this does not happen again. If you are mounting your bike correctly, you should not have to "swing your leg over the seat" as you put it.

1) Dip the bike almost on its side.

2) Step your leg over the top tube.

3) Right the bike back up.

Now that you are straddling the top tube.

4) Move your pedals to the 3 and 9 o'clock position.

5) Stand on the pedal that is in the forward position until the bike it moving, then sit down and pedal.

That's it!

Sorry if you already know this, but there are plenty of people who aren't overweight who make this error with equally embarrassing results. And I can't count the number of people I have seen using the "kick and go" method to start up. This is wrong.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    This! Though I don't recommend headphones while riding - definite no-no.
    Ops... I just love listening to my music while riding, but to my defense, I ride between 4.30 and 5.30 (AM) when I can tell if someone is coming by the headlights..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo2081 View Post
    Ops... I just love listening to my music while riding, but to my defense, I ride between 4.30 and 5.30 (AM) when I can tell if someone is coming by the headlights..

You really should have your ears open while you are riding. The more of your senses you have available, the better. Many bike clubs including mine prohibit headphones on club rides.

While headphones during riding aren't illegal under most state laws, neither is riding without a helmet. That doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Be safe out there.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    You really should have your ears open while you are riding. Many bike clubs including mine prohibit headphones during club rides.

While headphones during riding aren't illegal under most state laws, neither is riding without a helmet. That doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Be safe out there.
    Yeah, I'll follow your advice.
    I never went out with anybody so far and the music keeps me company (other than tracking my time and mileage through the headphones ).

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Lombard and Alfredo thanks for the encouragement and advice. I did not know about the way to get on a bike so I appreciate the tips. I didn't see any GIF of my fall the last couple of days so I'm hoping I'm safe from internet posterity! lol Today I managed to get on and off my bike, using Lombard's tips, and had a 10 mile ride that briefly had my smile competing with the shine of the Sun.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
    Lombard and Alfredo thanks for the encouragement and advice. I did not know about the way to get on a bike so I appreciate the tips. I didn't see any GIF of my fall the last couple of days so I'm hoping I'm safe from internet posterity! lol Today I managed to get on and off my bike, using Lombard's tips, and had a 10 mile ride that briefly had my smile competing with the shine of the Sun.
    That is just awesome!

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is great to hear, Slipstream! It sounds like you are really enjoying this sport so far.

If you are interested, here is a link to bike laws listed by state:

State Bike Laws | League of American Bicyclists

And if you have availability to it, I highly recommend at some point that you take a bike safety class given by the National Safety Council. My bike club happens to have them come in and give this class twice a year. I rode for 6 years before taking this course, and while I consider myself a fairly safe rider, I learned a few things I had been doing wrong all along. It could save your life.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Congrats on doing something about your weight. I'm overweight as well. Good job on the 10 mile ride. 10 miles is an excellent start and much better than I could have done when I started 3 years ago. As you ride more, you'll be able to go farther and faster, but don't overdue it. Go at your own pace. The pounds will come off. Good on ya!

Shuffleman
    Sep 2013
    Slipsteam, congratulations on the start of your biking adventures or experience. I use the words experience and adventure because that is truly what it is. Don't worry about falling over. I am quite certain that everybody falls at some point or another. I recently started back riding after my hip surgery. I was so excited to be riding on the bike after a few months off that I rode up to the shop for our Sat. morning ride. A group was already there waiting. In my excitement, I forgot to clip out and down I went. The hip and ego held up great. I pulled up to a car at a stop light a week or two later and clipped out on my left foot and not the right foot for whatever reason. Down I went. It happens.
    As for being overweight, just keep riding and it will come off. People can be cruel. I am sure that I have been on more than a few occasions. We all have our crosses to bear. Some are visible and some are not. Either way, we all have them, including the person that made the hateful comment. I will apologize for that person because as I said, I am certain that I have said some cruel things in my day. Thus, I am sorry. Hang in there though because your new biking experience is going to be great. There will be some hardships but keep on that thing and the pounds will come off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuffleman View Post
    .... . I pulled up to a car at a stop light a week or two later and clipped out on my left foot and not the right foot for whatever reason. Down I went. It happens....
    Ok so now I feel better for doing the exact same thing at a stop sign when I wanted to stop to figure out which way to go.. LoL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Hello, I hope everyone had a great Labor Day Weekend! Lombard, I just finished reading my State's Bicycle Laws via the link you provided, thank you. I will find a Bicycle Safety Program to attend as well. I test rode a couple bikes over the weekend and didn't find the glass slipper yet. My issue seems to be my unusually long torso. I've lined up a test ride this weekend and, in the meantime, I'm trying to ride my gifted bike each day. My legs feel fine but my butt bones (?) ache like crazy during and after the ride. I'm reluctant to purchase a different seat until I buy a bike, just in case it feels better. I was told it takes a while to adjust to a narrow seat too so maybe it is just me. Hopefully I can report back late this coming weekend with a photo of my new bike!

Cycling induced anoesis
    My legs feel fine but my butt bones (?) ache like crazy during and after the ride. I'm reluctant to purchase a different seat until I buy a bike, just in case it feels better. I was told it takes a while to adjust to a narrow seat too so maybe it is just me. Hopefully I can report back late this coming weekend with a photo of my new bike!
    They're called sit bones and it's called acclimation to road riding, so you're quite right to hold off on buying a saddle. Let this play out while you hunt down *that* bike, then ride it for awhile and reassess the saddle situation.

You may end up replacing the OE saddle, you may not. Time (and miles) will tell.

Shuffleman
    Sep 2013
    My legs feel fine but my butt bones (?) ache like crazy during and after the ride. I'm reluctant to purchase a different seat until I buy a bike, just in case it feels better. I was told it takes a while to adjust to a narrow seat too so maybe it is just me. Hopefully I can report back late this coming weekend with a photo of my new bike!
    I would recommend that you do not buy a seat until you settle on your new bike first and get a fitting done. A properly sized bike with a custom fitting will do wonders. In the beginning parts of riding, your sit bones will hurt some. They have to get adjusted to the seat and riding. I equate this to people who start running for the first time. Shin splints will be there to greet you. After a few days or weeks, they will go away. It is all part of the experience. Hang in there and keep riding and you will be surprised at the level of enjoyment.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't have a lot to add to this conversation, but want to tell you to keep it up. I am 260lbs and have been riding the road for just over 2 years. I have lost some weight but more than that have become a stronger rider.
    Don't let others negative comments cause you to be discouraged and don't let them make you bitter. Use it to push you forward.

Get out there and keep riding the Giant till you find the perfect bike. The more you ride it, the more you will be able to get a feel of what you like about it and what you don't like. It will give you a more clear thought process when you are testing other bikes. Plus you are already building up your conditioning and will enjoy the new bike that much more.

You probably already know this, but I don't see that it has been brought up yet. Just riding the bike and not adjusting caloric intake will only get you so far. If you are not already doing so, I would recommend a calorie counter app, like My Fitness Pal, to help on that front. It isn't magic. You have to be honest and want to stick with it.

Just keep up the good work.

Edit: I wanted to add that my bike is carbon fiber, I am on 25mm tires and the only issue I did have was with the wheels that came with the bike.
    Last edited by faulker479; 09-08-2016 at 11:11 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts. I will hold on to the Giant for my leaner cycling days. I am looking at a steel Kona Roadhouse bicycle. I've been assured that my weight will not be an issue and I can have wider tires and strong wheels installed. I've read some nice reviews that mention the Kona's weight, which with my mass won't make much of an impact. If anyone has some thoughts on this bike I would like to hear them. Thanks again.
    Excellent decision. I agree that just a set of wheels like Mavic Open Pros or Velocity A23s would suit you just fine on the Defy, but keeping your Kona is never a bad thing....even if you were 180 lbs!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Slipstream: Keep riding!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2014
    As you lift your leg over the bike try and shift the weight on your grounded foot to the ball of the foot. Better balance and it gives you another inch of lift on the leg that is swinging over your tipped to the side bike. Make sure you mount the bike in a place that has adequate room for the process. Start off on flat ground is best. You are not the first person to get hung up swinging a leg over the seat and certainly not the first person to fall. The person that commented on your weight in your moment of embarrassment and all those that laughed are not wholesome people. The shame is on them.

Google up Art's Cyclery sit bone test. You can measure your sit bones at home so that you know how wide of a saddle to use. When you purchase your new bike you can swap out the seat before you leave the store...If your sit bones are not on the seat then your weight is supported on soft tissue only which does not work out.

Remember every bike ride is a gift to yourself.
    Last edited by BikeLayne; 09-09-2016 at 10:36 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Pedal your ass off motherfarker! Learn to HATE junk food for the slave it tries to turn you into! Look at overloaded dinner plates with disdain! Look at couch time as failure! We are surrounded by people who make horrible decisions every single day with the food they put in their bodies. We can't be satisfied with status quo. We can not be sheeple!

Full on mental makeover brother! I've been working at it and it sounds like you are doing the same, big CONGRATS to you!

Note that fat people who are afraid to get out and exercise because they don't want to be mocked are letting imaginary people take years away from their lives!!!! Fark that!!! Didn't stop me and it won't stop you! You (and I) are choosing a sport where 180lb men are considered BIG! Horse jockeys have to lose weight to become competitive cyclists!

I'm fat, you're fat, **** that! Ride with me brother man, get out there and kick some ass!

btw, the arse pain will pass in time.

IF YOU RIDE CONSISTENTLY AND WITH INTENT YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT LIKE YOU CAN'T BELIEVE!

A friend was recently telling me he exercises (triathalons, cycling, swimming, you name it) because of the high you get. And that is for real. You will bust out the miles and walk into the house looking for a shake full of healthy ingredients feeling like somebody just hit you with a needle full of happy juice!

Welcome to physical happiness my brother!!! You are no longer a 'fat fcku' because you are DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Those comments won't hurt AT ALL when you are busting your ass every week on the bike. Not even a little. Because you have found the answer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would ride that carbon Giant all day long. My MTB buddy is 260 lbs beast and is very aggressive rider who catches a lot of air. He rides a carbon Giant Anthem. I am 190-205 and jump and bunny hop my Cervelo R3 road bike with carbon wheels all the time and it holds up. Just keep both wheels on the ground and it will be fine.

I am concerned that you parked your bike at a store and went it. Take it in next time or it will be gone.

Screw the guy that made to comment. Keep riding and you will get fit and then you can laugh at him.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksdad View Post
    Pedal your ass off motherfarker! Learn to HATE junk food for the slave it tries to turn you into! Look at overloaded dinner plates with disdain! Look at couch time as failure! We are surrounded by people who make horrible decisions every single day with the food they put in their bodies. We can't be satisfied with status quo. We can not be sheeple!

Full on mental makeover brother! I've been working at it and it sounds like you are doing the same, big CONGRATS to you!

Note that fat people who are afraid to get out and exercise because they don't want to be mocked are letting imaginary people take years away from their lives!!!! Fark that!!! Didn't stop me and it won't stop you! You (and I) are choosing a sport where 180lb men are considered BIG! Horse jockeys have to lose weight to become competitive cyclists!

I'm fat, you're fat, **** that! Ride with me brother man, get out there and kick some ass!

btw, the arse pain will pass in time.

IF YOU RIDE CONSISTENTLY AND WITH INTENT YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT LIKE YOU CAN'T BELIEVE!

A friend was recently telling me he exercises (triathalons, cycling, swimming, you name it) because of the high you get. And that is for real. You will bust out the miles and walk into the house looking for a shake full of healthy ingredients feeling like somebody just hit you with a needle full of happy juice!

Welcome to physical happiness my brother!!! You are no longer a 'fat fcku' because you are DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Those comments won't hurt AT ALL when you are busting your ass every week on the bike. Not even a little. Because you have found the answer.
    Love this enthusiasm. I'm gonna print this and put it on my fridge lol!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast