Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Good to be back

692 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Mikez28 
#1 ·
After stepping on the scales yesterday and weighing in at a disgusting 270 lbs, I made a decision to get my ass back in shape. I took my first ride in nearly 2 months, actually my first excersise in two months. Did 16 miles, it took me an hour. It felt good to be back in the saddle!

#6 ·
You can absolutely get it done man if you just stick with it and slowly increase your mileage weekly or bi-weekly. I also recommend starting to educate yourself on the nutritional side of the sport. There are some great articles on bicycling.com in the training and nutrition section. A friend of mine that is into that kind of stuff recently shared an article with me that said after a certain point, 70-80% of weight loss is diet, but it must supported by regular exercise to aid metabolism.

#5 ·
Congrats and good luck. 16mph average isn't too shabby, especially considering the time off and the weight. Having lost over 100 lbs and starting bigger than you I know what you are facing. It is a daunting task at first. Start small, single goals. Don't look at the forest of losing weight, look at each tree being the goal to get to the weight loss. Also be careful basing your weight loss too much on exercise. As you lose weight, it will take more and more to keep losing weight. Many say that you lose weight in the kitchen, get healthy on the bike. I agree somewhat, though exercise is a great way to balance splurging on our diet too. But in any case, weight loss is as much if not more calorie watching as exercise. When it is all said and done, it comes in to calories in vs. calories out. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.