RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018

Hate this to be my first post, but sick to stomach and need insight

Fedex just delivered my first legit road bike, a 2018 Roubaix Expert Ultegra Di2.

As I was unwrapping it I noticed what appeared to be an impact crack below the gloss coating. LBS says its just carbon overlap and nothing to worry about. Frankly I doubt that, but figured I'd get some expert insight.

This is the left side of the fork tube:
    Hate this to be my first post, but sick to stomach and need insight-screenshot-2018-05-08-23.16.53.jpg

Thanks Guys

RoadBikeReview Member
    Come the hell on with this pic!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    what would you have preferred?

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Looks okay to me. That does not appear to be impact damage. Can you feel it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    It's very obviously not a crack. A crack would be hair wide and if wider split right open. That's way to wide to be a crack way to smooth to be claiming impact.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeesh, rough crowd. The guy said it's his first bike.

Anyhow, OP, a "naked carbon" finish can set off all sorts of alarms until you realize how frames are built. Sheets of carbon are pressed into forms and then pressed under intense pressure/heat to mold. That was a very loose explanation but sometimes a sheet is folded and if not sprayed with paint you can see the fold on this "naked carbon" finish. Sort of like using fingers to line the edges of a baking pan with pastry sheets. What you see is a pastry sheet joint/fold.

My BMC - not the pictured one is full of such folds, cracks, and even patches and it raised my eyebrow at first. Here's a bunch of examples of nude carbon "imperfections".

https://goo.gl/images/i5bbiA

https://goo.gl/images/xtLy1y

https://goo.gl/images/vxo5uh
    "That pretty much sums it up. I'm 43 and my max is ~178-180. If that HR chart was mine or Froome's, we'd be on the verge of death. But for you it probably looks like a normal workout." -TLG

LOLOLOL

Neophyte
    I agree more / better pictures are needed. The pic on the left it looks like something is potentially peeling off, the pic on the right you can see matks on the next piece of material that seem to match the marks on the piece of concern as if they're may have been scuffing or even impact. But it could just be the pics.

You may want to post some more zoomed in and more zoomed out.

If it's actually all smooth nevermind my comments, also is it just something that rubbed onto the game that you could buff out?

'brifter' is a lame word.
    From your photos it looks fine to me. There aren't really any carbon 'experts' here, maybe 1 or 2, but there are some people that have been working w/ carbon frames and parts for a looooong time. You can count me as one of those. If that feels smooth on the surface it is most likely not damage.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    First, thank you all for your insight. I really appreciate folks taking a look.

For those who believe if I can not feel any external crack in the surface finish then this is not a crack, then you can stop reading. I do NOT feel any surface crack on the finish. And thus I am leaning in your direction as well.

Additionally I do not thing this is a carbon frame crack either. But it still appears to me to be a crack in the clear epoxy coating over the carbon fiber. Much like in safety glass, you can't feel the crack, but you can see it. The other reason I think it's a crack is the two marks on the plastic that line up with the top of the two cracks that lead into one. This is where the handlebars were draped during shipping.

Since it is likely not structurally a problem, I suspect I will just have to live with it. But I am concerned it will likely decrease the value when the time comes to sell it.

Again, thank you everyone for your input.

Mike
    Hate this to be my first post, but sick to stomach and need insight-screenshot-2018-05-10-07.59.39.jpgHate this to be my first post, but sick to stomach and need insight-img_3210.jpgHate this to be my first post, but sick to stomach and need insight-img_3208.jpg

help us all
    I'd be upset if my expensive road bike arrived like that
    2011 Cervelo r3 (sold)
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex-7
    2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR 5

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    I think this is the second thread in a couple weeks with what sounds like an Internet ordered specialized.

Spesh doesn't do direct to customer sales.

If it is new and the shop scratched it, then you fault for accepting it with damage. Probably, too late.

If you bought it used via fleabay (or the like), you may be able to return it to seller or you can live with it. You bought a used bike and all that comes with that (no warranty, etc).

'brifter' is a lame word.
    No, Specialized doesn't do direct-to-customer sales. But there are tons of dealers that will sell on ebay or the like. They either don't care about the limitations in their dealer agreement or the bike is not current year. Or someone bought the bike and then decided to sell it.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    If CX says itís cosmetic then itís cosmetic. That said, thatís not a cheap bike (especially for a first road bike?) so that would bother the hell out of me. CX, or anyone, thatís also not carbon overlap? 9W thatís not naked carbon? Thatís painted black. Maybe itís just my view... My custom speed skated are true naked carbon and white leather and I love that look. My next bike will likely be naked carbon, I just think itís a great look.

Why didnít you send it back?
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2018
    Well, Specialized says it's ok, the Bike Shops says its ok, and there are no external cracks, and given you can see through the deep clear-coat on the top and all the overlaps line up. I decided to love it. And man do I love it. The wife and I put 53 miles on today, riding the Silver Comet in Georgia. This is a dang nice bike. Now to grow into it. Thank again everyone for helping out here, you are awesome.