RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009

Help w/old 27 inch tires...

Howdy all, first time posting... I went to the bike shop to order a bike last week, so while I am anxiously awaiting for their call, I thought about rehabilitating my 25 year old 12 speed so I could learn a little about maintenance and stuff... basically the only thing I knew was how to lock it up!

The first thing is the tires are flat since they are probably 20 years old! Anyhow, I believe the tires are 27 inch tires, one of them 27x1 3/8 and the other 27x1 1/4. Does that mean it doesn't matter what width tire I get, they will seat into the rims just fine? Also, from some googling it seems like 27" is obsolete, so will it be easy to find the tires and tubes? Thank you!

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Yes, both widths will fit your rims. Plenty of 27" tires still around—here's one source.
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/SubCate..._200276_200327
    Nashbar also has 27" tubes, here's a Schrader-valve one one. Make sure you get the right kind of valve (Schrader or Presta) to fit your rim hole.
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._200276_200432
    Most bike shops and even some department stores still carry 27" tires and tubes as well.

banned
    Jan 2004
    Agree--27 inch tires are still everywhere, though not in the variety they once were. And you can interchange 27 and 700 tubes (not the tires, just the tubes) without any worries.

still shedding season
    Nashbar is a good place to find them because IIRC it's easier to search by size than some other websites. They should have a few different choices, but they may be hard to find locally. Panaracer Pasela would be good, stick with 1-1/4" on both.

As far as Presta vs. Schraeder, that's the valve of the tube that goes inside. Schraeder valves are like the ones on your car and Presta need to be unscrewed before you put air inside. They're different diameter so you'll need the right one, or an adapter to go from Schraeder to Presta. The tube in the link above is Schraeder.