Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

How do I to get fitted for a bike that fits and not one in stock?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  AndrwSwitch 
#1 ·
I know fit is very important when purchasing a new bike. I have been riding mountain bikes most of my life and I am ready to venture onto a road bike. I regularly ride the mountain bike 25 to 30 miles at a time and occasionally commute to work on it. I would like to do this more and eventually make a Homestead to Key West ride I have the opportunity to join one in the fall 128 miles over two or three days pending conditions and consumption along the way this seems totally doable if I can get the bike set up properly in time. Therefore, I would like to get the road bike asap and get started training. I am faced with one challenge. I am short being only 5'4" few bike shops around here dont stock my size frames and most want a deposit to get them in. I have never been fitted for a road bike but I feel after weeks of lurking around here this is the first step in this shopping experience. There are several bike shops in the south Florida area but I want to be fitted by an independent person then find the right frame or complete bike for me. I dont want to be persuaded in to buying a store brand because its what the fitters shop stocks. I want to buy a bike that will fit me right. I dont care which brand, price or other BS I want to be sold on fit alone. Everything else I can work the kinks out of with cash. Any advice?

#2 · (Edited)
I'm assuming from your name that you're male and at 5'4", shorter than average, thus the situation with shops not stocking your frame size.

What you're outlining above is exactly the course I'd suggest to you. Find a reputable fitter, get sized/ fitted and work with them on finding your suitable geo. This way, when you do order the bike, you'll have some assurance that it'll not only be sized correctly, but the geo will suite your intended uses and anatomy.

A couple of FYI's.. you don't need to spend a lot on this fitting. As long as it's done by a knowledgeable fitter, a standard fitting will do (versus a pro fit). Also, you're right that specific brands, models or price don't matter just yet. They will, but not until after your sizing assessment.

EDIT: Just curious about your reference to working the kinks out with cash. To what are you referring?

#3 ·
There is a difference between fitting and sizing.

You can get sized without the bike being present. To get fitted, you need the bike.

Thus, shops can order the correct size for you based on your measurements and the bike geometry chart. Sizing gets you in the neighborhood.

Later at delivery, you'll be fitted--which involves positioning the saddle, bars, and levers and may or may not require some swapping of parts.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. Correct PJ, I am a male. I was referring to the little things that go into this. My budget is wide open to get the correct bike the first time. This is a bike that I hope to keep for several years and put thousands of miles on. I am not looking to race. Just take long rides along the beach and see how far I can go. I am going to ask around for help to find a sizer/ fitter. I am just trying to avoid the geometry wrapped up in a sales pitch. Bruce, thanks for the help with the lingo that will help assess my desire.

#5 ·
You don't need a bike to get sized or work up a good fit sheet. They're less common, but some shops have sizing cycles. This is a stationary bike with a very wide range of adjustability. You'd get the sizing cycle dialed in and then buy a bike with a frame that will allow that same setup. It puts the issues of bike size/fit and bike selection in order. The person who works with you can probably still suggest some bikes that will work for you. It's likely to be more expensive upfront, but it doesn't sound like that's a big constraint for you, and long-term I think you improve your chances of being happy with the size you buy to begin with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.