Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

How Out-Of-Shape Were You When You Started Cycling?

83K views 368 replies 201 participants last post by  uberculture 
#1 · (Edited)
The thought: As I anticipated getting my first bicycle in several decades at age 49, I figured I'd start out slowly...like making an 11-mile circuit on the local country roads around my home, here in the rolling hills of Kentucky.

The reality: Riding the first time from my front gate to my rear fence (about 1200') with a good deal of it being a good up-hill grade, I had to stop after about 200' and was huffing and puffing like crazy. Had to stop 2 more times before I made it the entire 1200'. When I came in the house, I was huffing and puffing for an hour!

Fast-forward about 2 weeks of doing that routine....I still have to make two stops...but don't huff and puff nearly as bad, and am breathing normally when I get in the house.

My goal is to be able to do that ride without stopping to rest...then I will venture to ride a little on the street (Like the 3/10ths of a mile to the church just down the road). Maybe by spring I'll be able to do the 11 mile circuit?

I am pathetic! Wow! I wanted a bike largely so that I'd get some much needed aerobic exercise....I'd say I should have gotten it a few years ago. Was anyone else this pathetic? (Granted, if I were still in relatively flat Long Island and NYC, I'd probably be able to ride at least a few miles....)

See less See more
#329 ·
I started close to 300 and about 8 months later going from a solid couch potato to now I ride at least 50 miles per week with my long ride being 25 to 35 miles between 15 to 17 avg. I have lost 50lbs and still working on it although last few months stress and stuff has got in the way but I still keep trying to ride.

#330 ·
I've been lurking on the forum for some time. 58 years old, borderline high blood pressure, borderline diabetic, 45 lbs over weight, and a total couch potato. Started on a path to better health and fitness around the first of the year. Started by walking and relearning good eating habits. I won't call it dieting because it was more of a long range plan. Lost 30lbs and started feeling pretty good.

In April I pulled out my Raleigh 4.0 comfort bike and started riding around the neighborhood. The bicycle was originally purchased for use on camping trips, and had a total of about 100 miles on it in four years.First rides were 3-4 miles at somewhere less than 10 mph. I remember the first day I made 6 miles under an hour. 1500 miles later, making daily rides of 25 miles 3-4 times a week I decided I had outgrown the comfort bike. Rather, my ass decided it was time for a change.....

Spent weeks/months reading and shopping. Found a great local bike shop and the owner was patient while he educated me into making the best decision for me (not for him). Purchased a Trek 4.5 in late August. Wow, what a change. To bring what could be a long short story to a close without boring anyone further, completed my first organized ride this past weekend. Did the 30 mile Tour de Gruene ride in Gruene, TX. Finished the hilly course in 1hr 48 mins, average speed of 16.6 mph, average cadence of 89. Best of al I could have gone another 20 I do believe. Having absolutely NO hills to train on locally, I spent some days riding overpasses as my best means of preperation. Needless to say I went into the ride apprehensive about how I'd handle the hills. As a result I held back early, afraid I'd crash and burn mid-race. My anxiousness was over the top, and I kicked myself post race for not attacking the ride early.

I am hooked. Already searching for the next ride. My goal now is the MS 150, likely next year. Thanks to everyone on this forum for your inspiration, advice, and encouragement. You help more people than you know. Hopefully my post will spur someone else on.

See you on the road.

#331 ·
This is an absolutely great thread. Reading all of your posts here is very inspirational. Makes me want to go ride my bike 50 miles every day.

I was a Cross Country/Track athlete in high school and was always in good health. After high school, I started playing softball with a group of friends and ended up dislocating my knee (softball of all things, right?!). Since then, I've had real difficulty running or any sport (basketball, etc.) with a lot of lateral movement (have dislocated my twice since then requiring surgery - once putting my son's car seat in our SUV!) Several years ago, my fiancée (now wife) moved from Phx to Tucson to help care for some ill family members. We have houses in both cities (I work in Phx) and we travel back and forth each week. All this siting in a car coupled with my knee problems, I really ballooned up. I'm 6'4" and weighed 180 in 2008.

At a doctor's appointment in early October, I weighed 240, my blood sugar and cholesterol levels were not good at all. My doctor recommended the South Beach diet for my wife and I. We both bought bikes to become more active and it's been great. My wife never learned how to ride a bike as a kid and now she's cruising all around our neighborhood on her hybrid. I've been loving riding, have done 200 miles in the first month on my Trek road bike including 2 30+ mile rides. With our change in diets and increase in exercise, I've dropped 16 lbs and my wife has lost 7 in the last month.

My motivation has been our 4 1/2 month old son. Both my wife and I lost our dads at an early age to heart attacks (46 and 51) and we want to be healthy long living parents for our children.

Thanks for all of the stories you all are posting. They've all been very inspirational and great to read.

#332 ·
This is an absolutely great thread.

Yes, it is pretty cool.

I posted to this thread about a year ago

My Post

And would like to offer an update.

I'm down close to 30 pounds since the first of the year. I would have liked to have lost more, but my doctor says that I was building muscle while reducing body fat and muscle weighs more than fat.

I've gotten a better bike and added a computer that includes cadence and hr sensors. I've been using that to maintain a high-cadence ride and a heart rate in the aerobic zone or higher. It helps a lot.

I'd still like to be down to 190, for Ride the Rockies in June, and am confident I can make that weight.

My cardio health is much improved. I'm riding and climbing faster and stronger. I've trimmed down a lot.

I'm having the time of my life, actually.

#333 ·
i also posted a few months ago when i started back in late March/early April..(can't remember..)

i'm 46 and about 190lbs with a medium build.. still overweight but i'm really not doing this for the weight factor.. i struggled with sarchoids, high cholesterol, and felt fatigued all the time.. i was also huffing and puffing and weezing even when going up a flight of stairs..

doctor gave me strict instructions to eat better, excercise some more and obviously take some medication...

i did all of this but it never really made a huge difference.. not until i began riding...

a few months after starting my new healty routine i decided to purchase a road bike... my first time out I struggled to do a few miles.. if it wasn't for my inhaler I would have been in real trouble.. but i was optimistic and kept coming back each weekend until by body got used to it..

i also began to research extensively on the techniques of breathing deeply, endurance riding, fuel (carbs, calories, electrolytes, etc) and hydration..

picked up outfits, shoes, portable food and joined a local group to keep things interesting...and for the company...

a month later i was doing 30 miles then moved up to 50miles then found a nice bike path that put forced me to do 70miles round trip. Within 3 months i was feeling cocky and was signing up for century rides... (the first was very tough but it was mostly flat)
I managed to finish in under 8hrs...

today, less than 12 months later, i have no more weezing, cholesterol has gone down to normal levels and has remained there and I can work my heartrate to the maximum recommended levels.. and most of all I feel great..

doctor says it was the best thing i could have done.. (he knows I tried everything else)

I have now have about 6 centuries under my belt and continue to do 30-50mile rides each weekend..

this winter will be my first winter season riding and i plan on riding till it hits below 30...

I already have a winter riding suit...

guess i'm hooked too... i'm now on ebay looking for my next accessory purchase...

hummm... what elso do i need????

#335 ·
April first of this year I weighed 290 pounds, and hadn't exercised in decades (since 1975). And, the inevitable happened, I had a heart attack, albeit a relatively mild one.. IWas told by cardiologist to get down to 200 LBs, and get exercise. Bad knees and artificial shoulder prevented most exercise, so biking it was. I bought a 2012 Trek 7300 comfort hybrid and started riding..at first only a mile or two a day, my goal being to ride around the lake I live on by summers end.I hit that goal within a months to 6wks, and the pounds began to melt away. As of today's, I've lost 70 pounds, and my longest ride of the year was just under 20 miles. The comfort hybrid is a little like driving a mini van, and difficult to put away miles on. Two weeks ago, just before I went in for knee replacement surgery I bought a 2011 Specialized Roubiax comp, which I have net even ridden yet, but the weight continues to come off, and I can't wait to ride the new bike...I'm hoping to really put on miles next summer and even do some weekenders.

Biking has changed my life for the better and has hopefully added a few years to my life...(I'm 59 now), although it seems Pres Oblamer is trying everything he can to cut it short.. Anyone in my shoes out there, stick it out...it just helps getting more fun!

#337 ·
I saw the beginner forum and thought it was great and then saw this and thought even better. My wife and I just started riding (of course she gets a new road bike first). We know we are badly out of shape, I am 6'2" about 270 lbs, still can catch 75 percent of shoplifters before they are out of parking lot but any distance and I am dying.

In high school I weighed about 155, probably too skinny but ran a lot then my job the last 10 years is not conducive to it without real early running. Biking fit now as my wife and I are both off Sundays, during the week I am doing sprints, about 5 miles no stopping got my time down under 25 mins in a week. Pushing further in two weeks, my motivation has been part of this thread seeing people start off slow but persistent to get to 30 mile rides in a few months. My goal is 42 miles next November in a local bike race and will be lurking and posting on the forums regularly, this seems to have a great community.

#338 ·
This is all very interesting. I am 52, 6'2" and 190 lbs. I have always been tall and slim. I get a yearly physical that i pass with flying colors. I was playing with my grandson a few weeks and noticed how winded I was getting. It was embarassing since I thought I was still in good shape. Anyway, I started running which again let me know how out of shape I had gotten. Lord, do I hate running. That is why I joined this forum. Biking is fun, low impact if done correctly on the right bike, and such a good cardio workout. It takes a lot of work to get back into shape at 52. It also takes a very short time to get out of shape if you let yourself go.

#339 ·
In my 60's, under weight, unmotivated and a complete couch potato. Thought a bicycle would be the perfect means to get some much needed exercise. Based upon my first few rides, I coudn't have been more right. I only started riding 3-4 weeks ago and still have only had short rides due to deplorable state of physical conditioning but each ride leaves me feeling refreshed and stronger and I can feel my endurance improving. I still feel awkward on a quick reacting road bike but I enjoy it and look forward to being in good health again

#341 ·
At one point I took 5 years off from the sport. My first ride back was with my sis in law and an elderly man with a bad knee, both riding bikes weighing about 25% more than mine. A nice day on gradual, rolling terrain.

I had to stop twice and rest under a sage brush while they completed a section that would've left me with puke on my jersey. I was in the granny gear and was in the red from the first hill. A hiker with a walking stick and old dog tried not passing me on an uphill, but it was tiring them out more stopping and going. The elapsed time was about 2 hours. I ran out of water, all 70 ounces. Yep, 70 ounces of gut sloshing "relief from the oppressive heat." It was 70 degrees.

Today I can do that ride in 1h 15m in the big ring keeping HR in Zone 2, give or take, and often pedal with one leg up hills following my sis in law and that guy.

#342 ·
Today I can do that ride in 1h 15m in the big ring keeping HR in Zone 2, give or take, and often pedal with one leg up hills following my sis in law and that guy.
Your sis in law and that guy must be good riders, lucky you you have someone to ride with.

#343 ·
Angleo534 this is not aimed at you, but rather the newbe who may be here reading this stuff, I see your riding 50 miles now which is great.

If there are some of you here having trouble building up miles then you need to do a system. Taking a month to ride 2 miles means something was done wrong, though you were doing better then doing nothing so it wasn't entirely wrong!

A good way of doing it better is to follow a plan like a century plan, if you have the time of course. See: Training for a Century Ride You don't have to do the 100 mile thing if is time prohibitive, but 50 or 75 miles is something anyone could do. If the schedule is to difficult in the first week then add 3 weeks to the beginning so that week 1 on that chart is actually week 4, then simply subtract 30% off all the totals of the original first week and make that the new first week; then add 10% onto all the totals for that actual first week you completed to make the second week, then another 10% for the third, then on the fourth your tracking the original schedule.

When reading that schedule don't worry about what pace and brisk are if your newbe, just worry about getting base miles in, once you've done that then we can discuss how to make that schedule work to make you faster with interval training thrown in.

I hope that all made sense.

#344 ·
Greetings from near Pittsburgh, PA!
I will be 57 in October. As I write this I am wondering what happened to my athletic build of 40+ years ago. I am a construction electrician that over the years have smoked too many cigarettes, washed down too many shots of Jack Daniels with Iron City beer,and ate too many wings. I am now the heaviest I have ever been in my life packing 247 pounds on my 5'10 frame. A few weeks ago my family doctor told me I had a choice to make - get off the couch and exercise or end up in a box looking up at the roots of the grass. The doc suggested to change my lifestyle with a good diet and exercise. I'm not a gym junkie, am not motivated enough to do a DVD fitness program so I thought biking would work for me.
I bought a Giant Rincon off of Craigslist and put on more road friendly tries. Living 6 miles from the Boston, PA portal of the Great Allegheny Passage I thought riding the trail would be a great way to start losing weight and was planning to make my maiden voyage a 20 mile round trip from Boston to Sutersville and back. My loving wife thought it would be best if I hopped on the bike and took 2 laps around our housing development - a distance of about 1 mile per lap with a few rolling hills. It was all I could do to climb the gentle grade just before completing the second lap. I arrived home, completely soaked with sweat and sucking wind. My heart rate was about 130 bpm but after walking in the back yard as a cool down it went below 100 bmp in about 10 - 15 minutes. Although the trail on the GAP is rather flat it looks like my "easy" 20 mile trip will be postponed until I can master 10 laps around my gently rolling neighborhood. I think if I do my 2 wind sucking laps daily, maybe by Labor Day I can reach my goal.
Moral of the story - I ain't as good as I once was but if I work at it I will be better than I was yesterday!

#359 ·
SteelCity,

You're in pretty much the same boat I was in 3 years ago.

You were smart to listen to you wife about that ride. Riding a bike at our age is not like when we were 16. :)

Work your way up to the GAP trail - it won't take long.

The recovery time from 130 bpm is something you should watch. Might want to consult a doctor. I can come down from my max rate (~160 bpm) to 120 in about 5 minutes if not less. I can ride in the 130s for a long time (after a while that heart rate actually starts feeling kinda good). You'll be fine, but recovery time in important and it would be wise to include your doctor in managing that.

Meanwhile keep at it. Work your way into things and it'll come.

If you haven't got one already, get a cyclo-computer with a heart rate monitor built in. It helps.

#345 ·
Greetings Steel City

Your wife did a great job recognising it may be a bit more difficult than you think starting off. Good news is you can see results quickly with proper work. This forum can be a great set of advice to better yourself and here are some of the best I have gotten that helped ( I have dropped 25 pounds since my post in this thread so cycling helps a lot).

1. Find a good local bike shop (LBS) to help with fitting. This will help greatly with comfort and enjoyment long term. Probably the best money you can spend. While there maybe have hem once over or tune up bike since you got it used.

2. Find a good training system. Lots of good resources, I like bicycling.com articles and help here. Don't forget rest, as important as hard workouts, you body needs recovery too. Look at articles discussing recovery rides or rest days, don't worry you may feel somewhat slower after rest, some of the articles will discuss and why.

3. Track your progress. Best way to know you are getting better. Strava or Map My Ride are good apps for this, or a cycling GPS like a Garmin or Cateye are great too. You will look back on progress and be more motivated. I barely completed 10 miles in 75 minutes my first day, I did 34 miles in 2 hrs 10 mins last week and felt great.

4. Diet, friend of mine is pushing me through. My weakness is soda so I have cut most out and most snacks are now fruit. I like fruit since it also hydrates, especially melons, grapes and apples. Lots of water to help flush your system and most importantly keeps cramping minimized or away. Nutrution will become important as your rides become longer.

Most importantly ride and have fun. I like this sport because I can choose my level, people can still be competitive or challenge themselves as far as they want at nearly any age.

#346 ·
You need to be a lot more careful and put in more time on a bike then just 10 laps around the hood then go 20 miles!

On the careful part, please go see a doctor and tell the doc what you want to do...start riding a bike, thus he should do a heart stress test on you.

Then take it real slow, don't do a 20 mile ride for a least 12 weeks of almost daily riding. If you want a 12 week schedule for this just PM me. If you rush your 20 mile ride you could have a serious life threatening event, even if the doc ok's you for physical activity!

#347 ·
Thanks Packersfanta for the encouragement. The goal is to just get fit and have a good time riding. What is kinda unique about riding the GAP trail is that when I was younger a friend and I used to do a float fishin trip down the Youghiogheny River in a jon boat several times from spring to late fall. Some beautiful country for sure.The GAP trail follows the river.
My problem has been typical of just about every late middle aged guy - watching yourself get terribly out of shape and then realizing that you are not a kid anymore and that it is going to take a ton of effort to get back in shape. I'm determined! I have 2 grandsons for fishin buddies age 11 and 8. I'd like to be around for them for some time.
Froze - Thanks for your concerns - PM sent :)

#348 ·
High School (a long time ago) - 6'0" 145 lbs

Fast forward to 2003: Job, wife, 4 children - 208 lbs

Wife requests that I get back in shape as her birthday present September '03.

Biking/gym/watching diet -> 160 lbs by June '04. Lost it too fast honestly.

Still biking. 150 lbs at present, increases in the Winter.

Advice? Lots. Read Mike Magnuson's 'Heft on Wheels' if you're looking for some humor while you do this. Also, make lifestyle changes without expecting to see immediate results. Something as simple as doing a few sit-ups and/or curls with light weights after each ride will add to your core strength and sculpt the body over time. Get enough rest! Sleep is important for weight loss/health. Drink water.

#349 ·
Great thread revival. To me this thread is a huge part of the sport. In the end, it's way more significant than who what race bleh blah blaw. Just go out and get after it. Good to hear all the success stories here. For most of us there came a point where we crossed a threshold, a barrier, a line. Mental and or physical. It took my 17 yo son to push me over the 17 mile then crap out line. He just said let's keep going. Some of you posting above will find that line, the place in time when you pushed past. And when you do, anything becomes easier thereafter.

Our friend Froze has some great inspiration and info posted here. I only say keep checking back in here. :)

#350 ·
It is real inspiring to me to read all the success stories here! The one thing i know for sure is if you do not start you will never get there! No matter how small the steps you need to take the first one to get to your end goal. The first of march I weighed 305 pounds and was winded going up the stairs to the gym...i started a program to get healthy and lost 50 pounds in 12 weeks. I decided to take my health to the next level and bought my road bike the middle of may and have about 150 miles on it today! I am now at 245 and look forward to riding and taking off the next 50 pounds. My resting heart rate has dropped from 90 to 60 and blood pressure is also dropping. My heart rate during my rides is still too high but is starting to come down and my lungs can actually outlast my legs! I am starting to mix up my rides and add some hills into my plan. The hills can be tough at times as well as head winds but hey...they build character. I am now wanting to start a structured workout to be able to take my health to the next level. I set a goal to be able to ride a 45 mile bike path ( in my area) by the end of the season. I already have a 26 mile ride under my belt so I may have to raise the bar a little.

#351 ·
Kelvin you're killing me !! Sitting here drinking a cold one watching the A's on the tube. Recovering from a week long nasty cold. Tomorrow I re-start. But your story is epic. It's the summer (presuming you are USA) so let's roll !!!

Hills are the great boogey man. Sure you recognize this now. What I took as a curse I now know is a blessing. I live in the hills, there is no flat ground. Cadence means nothing. It's wind it up, up hill, and let er' rip going down.

To each his own. But head winds, uh, they just suck !!! Why is there always a headwind, and in both directions, coming and returning ???

#352 ·
To each his own. But head winds, uh, they just suck !!! Why is there always a headwind, and in both directions, coming and returning ???
I have those same head winds here...I am not sure how it works that you can be in a headwind coming and going but I guess it helps build character...I was in a severe sidewind the other day that really sucked. The gusts would move me over 3 or 4 feet...got scary a few times.

#354 ·
HAven't read the entire 14 pages, but I started riding around 7 months ago, have lost 35 lbs or so and rode 51 miles yesterday. The most I've done yet. Normally rider 18-25 miles at a time. Loving it, my wife did 28 miles yesterday with me. I'm 53 and she will be 50 in August.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.