Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Wing View Post
    in 2005 i was 395 +/- pounds bought a bike rode for about a month and gave up and sold the bike. I have lost a bunch of weight since then now 235 and bought another bike about a week or so ago, im starting out sloooow. My goal is to ride 3 to 4 times a week, this week im riding 30 minutes each ride and bump it up some every week till my weekly rides are around a hour. Right now in 30 minutes im riding 7 miles and loving it. Im sure it will get easier every time i get on the bike. before the end of the summer i want to enter a race just to see how i will do.
    Wow, 395 pounds! I'm surprise they made a bike that could carry that much weight. I'm sorry we don't have awards given out for the most weight, and effort to lose that weight because you would win!!! That's amazing!!! I can't give you enough exclamation marks to even remotely show how great that is. Keep up the great work.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk98yvozq1g
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvk63...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=p92Stnnigjs
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks, i was prolly a little heaver than that but back then scales were not my friend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Wing View Post
    Thanks, i was prolly a little heaver than that but back then scales were not my friend.
    The scale being a friend or not wasn't the problem, you're weight at the time was not your friend, in fact it wanted to kill you. Congrats for killing your weight instead of it killing you!!

In fact, I hope people reading this are applauding you. It's simply outstanding and amazing.
    "They don't do things that way anymore. This is the Age of Science Know-How, electronal marvels."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I'm 40 & got back on a bike a little over a year ago after being off of one for probably 15 years. I started mountain biking on a local trail and a little bit on a paved trail by my house. I started dropping weight but last summer I took a bad spill on my mountain bike out on a trail and broke my clavicle and 5 ribs.I stayed off the bike for a few months and needless to say, I packed some weight back on.

I started mountain biking again fairly regularly. About 5 months ago I decided to try riding on the local paved trail again and kept pushing myself a little harder and a little farther with each ride. Was up to riding 30-35 miles regularly and got the itch to buy a road bike a little over a month ago. My last ride, I rode 52 miles in 3hr 20min.

Needless to say, I'm hooked! Going to ride this weekend and my goal is 55 miles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Guys and gals, these are all inspiring stories!

I'm 41, 220lbs at 5' 11" and sick of being out of shape! Bought a Hybrid, loving it! Went for a ride with my 12 year old daughter and was surprised (and alarmed) the she was huffing and puffing more than me on the hills! when i was 12 I pretty much could go forever, I lived on my bike! just a sign of the times I guess, they spend all their time indoors these days on computers and iPods.....

Hoping to get in shape well enough to switch over to a road bike next season.

Thanks again to everyone for their stories!!!

J5

banned
    Oct 2011
    E-Wing: AMAZING!!!!!! I can't even fathom how it is possible to lose so much weight- It's been a struggle just for me to lose 20 pounds- and I've got 25 more to go! Congratulations!

A story similar to yours was what initially made me decide to get a bike- In our local electric company magazine, they had a story about a guy who weighed somewhere in the 300's, and who started riding and lost over 100 lbs...with before and after pics and everything- and I thought "Surely, if HE can ride, and lose weight in the process, so can I".

Truly wonderful; impressive and inspiring!

Jammers: It's true- the kids today are in pathetic shape. They don't run and play outside anymore, nor live on their bikes like we used to. When I was 12-14 I could ride 20 miles without even thinking about it (Didn't know at the time that I was even doing 20 miles) and didn't even notice the hills.

A friend of mine was just telling me the other day, how his 12 year-old grandson couldn't make it up the big hill on which my friend lives...but grandpa could!

What are these kids going to be like when they're 40-50? (Probably like half the guys and girls I grew up with, who never made it past 45). The fact that most people live on junk-food today; get very little real exercise, and end up practicing a lot of bad habits in their late teens and onweard, is taking it's toll on the last few generations.

I frequently note the ages to which people lived when I read about people from the past- to dispell the myths about "how healthy and long-living" we are today, vs. "people in past centuries being old in their 40's" (Qwuite the opposite is true)- Reading Benjamin Franklin's autobiography last night, in which he states that his grandparents (17th century) who were poor rural subsistence farmers, lived to be 85 and 89 (And were obviously not languishing on a couch or in a nursing home for the last 20 years of their lives)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I was in the best shape of my life. Being only 150 pounds but benching 300, deadlifting 480 pounds, sprinting 4:20 minute miles. Cycling was just to cure my boredom on sprinting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I'm outta shape. When on a 10 mile run that consisted of lots of hills, was huffing and puffing big time, had to stop several times. to complicate the matter my bike is far from set up, the bike jumps gears all over the place and the back brakes are not making proper contact with the wheel. I'll google setting up the gears better as the LBS doesnt service on Saturdays, and i want to ride again tomorrow.

Anyhow I knew it wasn't going to be easy. I knew i was out of shape. this will be a challenge but my goal is to get a road bike next year so i need to prepare on the hybrid this year. I will do it!

J5

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just started riding a road bike 3 weeks ago. 3 weeks ago I was 215lbs, and couldn't ride more than 5 miles on the flat Florida roads. I had my neurosurgeon on speed dial, just waiting for the moment that I couldn't stand the back pain any more, and was ready to just give in and have my 3rd spinal operation, and I was on enough pain meds to kill an elephant.

Today I'm riding 8-10 miles 3-4 times a week, I'm down to 210, the thoughts of scheduling my back surgery haven't even crossed my mind (well, not until I typed this anyway ) and I'm taking less than half of the amount of pain meds I was taking 3 weeks ago.

Carless
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I just started riding a road bike 3 weeks ago. 3 weeks ago I was 215lbs, and couldn't ride more than 5 miles on the flat Florida roads. I had my neurosurgeon on speed dial, just waiting for the moment that I couldn't stand the back pain any more, and was ready to just give in and have my 3rd spinal operation, and I was on enough pain meds to kill an elephant.

Today I'm riding 8-10 miles 3-4 times a week, I'm down to 210, the thoughts of scheduling my back surgery haven't even crossed my mind (well, not until I typed this anyway ) and I'm taking less than half of the amount of pain meds I was taking 3 weeks ago.
    Thats awesome man! Hope it keeps getting better

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    It's great to read all the posts about people getting in shape by riding their bike. I'm 51 and lost 30lbs over the past year by riding my bike 2-4 times a week. My average rides are 20 to 40 miles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    First day riding was 4 days ago. did 9miles, Next day I did 10miles(and got a flat tire, fixed it myself and rode home), Today I pulled a 8miler but it was raining.

Overall I am satisfied.

banned
    Oct 2011
    Did 17 miles yesterday- and could have just as easily done 25, except for time constraints (Took me an hour & half to do the 17... )- I just have to work at getting faster now, so I can do longer rides in the same time.

I can see my progress every week. When I first started, it took me an hour & 20 minutes to do 11 miles.

The big hill just up the road from my house that used to intimidate me, is almost easy now ((Although there are some even steeper/longer ones that are still a pain) and I'm getting my speed up on the smaller hills.

I'm AMAZED by the fact that this is the only form of exercise I know of, that I can do for an hour and a half without getting bored....and that, instead of making me tired, makes me feel GOOD- AND gives me a good work-out, and gets the old heart pumping.....

I am loving it!

....and really enjoying the beauty of the area in which I live- the things you don't see when driving a car; and exploring roads I'd never once been down before in the 10 years I've lived here.

I've made friends with all the dogs along the routes I normally ride....only one border collie still chases me but that's the nature of border collies...to chase.

I wish I would have bought a bike years ago! (And now that I'm losing weight and getting my normal good physique back, 20-something year-old girls are flirting with me again! )

banned
    Oct 2011
    heh! 234 miles on my bike, and I got my first flat today! About as good as it gets, as far as flats go, though- as I could feel that the tire was going flat, and I was just about 3/4s of a mile from getting home....I managed to make it to my driveway with a few pounds of air still in the tire!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryRider View Post
    Did 17 miles yesterday- and could have just as easily done 25, except for time constraints (Took me an hour & half to do the 17... )- I just have to work at getting faster now, so I can do longer rides in the same time.

I'm AMAZED by the fact that this is the only form of exercise I know of, that I can do for an hour and a half without getting bored....and that, instead of making me tired, makes me feel GOOD- AND gives me a good work-out, and gets the old heart pumping.....

....and really enjoying the beauty of the area in which I live- the things you don't see when driving a car; and exploring roads I'd never once been down before in the 10 years I've lived here.
    If you have time constraints and want to ulitilize it to become a stronger faster rider then see this site: http://www.bicycling.com/training-nu...o_back_to_back Interval training really does work, just follow it exactly as outlined in that article.

Your reasons for cycling are the same as mine. I use to run 5 to 15 miles every day, but I could never get over 15 miles because by then I was bored to max. So a friend told me to try cycling so I did, and it was and still is fun. The only time cycling wasn't fun was the last year of racing that I did at Cat 3; 10 years of training, training, and more training, got to me and I got burned out, but since I stopped racing it's fun again. I too like to explore, most of the time it's intentional exploring, sometimes it's uintentional; you see I don't use a GPS when I ride so once in awhile I get lost,but I find getting lost is fun too!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    I like hearing cycling stories like this.

I ran XC and track in high school. Got to college and slowly got fatter and fatter. I have an old rigid "mountain bike" from the mid 90s I was using for commuting to work. Work is only 1/2 mile away so it's not like I was working up a sweat or anything.

Got a free mountain bike from a coworker last spring. Took it out some local trail. I had no idea what I was doing. Fast forward a year later and I have 6 bikes (is that too many) and try to ride every day! Feeling good, lost about 25 lbs over the course of a year and even have been mixing a bit of running with the cycling.

banned
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    If you have time constraints and want to ulitilize it to become a stronger faster rider then see this site: Cycling Workouts on Consecutive Days | Bicycling Magazine Interval training really does work, just follow it exactly as outlined in that article.

Your reasons for cycling are the same as mine. I use to run 5 to 15 miles every day, but I could never get over 15 miles because by then I was bored to max. So a friend told me to try cycling so I did, and it was and still is fun. The only time cycling wasn't fun was the last year of racing that I did at Cat 3; 10 years of training, training, and more training, got to me and I got burned out, but since I stopped racing it's fun again. I too like to explore, most of the time it's intentional exploring, sometimes it's uintentional; you see I don't use a GPS when I ride so once in awhile I get lost,but I find getting lost is fun too!
    You'd RUN 15 miles?! I can't even fathom that! Thanks for the link- that interval stuff looks interesting, although it would be hard for me to implement, as I pretty much have my exertion and recovery periods dictated by the hills around here....but I'll certainly keep those principles in mind, as I love it when I see noticeable progress in my cycling.

Yesterday was a good day for me- I did my 17 miles in 01:20 instead of the day before's 01:30 (Partly because I was a little faster....and more so because I only took one rest.)

I'm still figuring out the simple things- like maximizing my momentum when descending a hill, and storming up the next one while I still have momentum.

I think my next goal is to be able to do 17 miles in an hour. (Seems like I have a long way to go- but with the big gains I've been making, maybe not!)

Heh, yeah, I couldn't even imagine cycling with GPS.....in fact, I wish I were able to get lost- but I don't think that's happened since I was a kid.

It's really encouraging to see that so many cyclists, like yourself, seem to stick with cycling forever (Ya rarely see that with runners)- I hope that it never "gets old" for me, either...and that I can keep up at least riding a few times per week in the winter, because it would be really depressing if I regressed (And I hear that if you stop riding for a while, you regress quickly and essentially have to start all over?)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Was 220 pds, 5'10', 40 pds over weight, lost 5 looking for a road bike and dieting, bike comes in this week. Got married for the first time 3.5 years ago, and had to go in rehab for hydrocodone and Xanax dependency 6 months ago. (don't tell anybody, what you hear here stays here). 30 days of 3 giant meals a day. Smile

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by theplumber View Post
    Was 220 pds, 5'10', 40 pds over weight, lost 5 looking for a road bike and dieting, bike comes in this week. Got married for the first time 3.5 years ago, and had to go in rehab for hydrocodone and Xanax dependency 6 months ago. (don't tell anybody, what you hear here stays here). 30 days of 3 giant meals a day. Smile
    If you get on that road bike, it will become your new habit, and there is no habit better for you than that! Good Luck!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bensley7 View Post
    If you get on that road bike, it will become your new habit, and there is no habit better for you than that! Good Luck!!
    That's the plan, I'm excited, comes today,tomorrow. Thanks,

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by theplumber View Post
    I give you credit for posting this, doing what you had to, to get yourself through it and now wanting to improve your fitness.

I think (at least I hope) you'll find that cycling provides some mental (stress) relief as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    I give you credit for posting this, doing what you had to, to get yourself through it and now wanting to improve your fitness.

I think (at least I hope) you'll find that cycling provides some mental (stress) relief as well.
    I'm sure it will. I was an avid tennis player before I got married. Now I'm to fat and embarssed to play right now. Plus I have friends who ride and have wanted to get a road bike, before all the drama. I need excersise hallways have. Now gonna ride and play tennis. Had 21 years clean and sober. Its the married life, lol, she's great. Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Although I am not really answering your original question, and I haven't bothered to read all the posts in this thread, I would like to offer an observation. I firmly believe the best and most improved cyclists really like to push their physical limits for the satisfication of knowing what they have accomplished. I have ridden with many that "quit" or "tone down' their participation in the sport if they get dropped too much or don't lose weight fast enough, and others who use getting dropped and small improvements as goals to be overcome and improved upon. Your fitness will improve. Find others to ride with for more motivation. You are on the right path.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    I started riding again about 3 1/2 years ago after a 15 yr layoff. I could just go a couple of miles at first. I remember this short (1/4m), but steep(12%) section I would come to. Every ride I would try to make it up a little further. It took me a couple months to get all the way up without stopping. Since then, I've ridden over most of the Colorado passes. The initial hump is hard, don't set initial goals too hard and you'll be able to accomplish most things you want to on a bike!

P.S. And the hardest part is getting out the door, which is what I'm procrastinating on right now!

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryRider View Post
    I hope that it never "gets old" for me, either...and that I can keep up at least riding a few times per week in the winter, because it would be really depressing if I regressed (And I hear that if you stop riding for a while, you regress quickly and essentially have to start all over?)
    I think a number of factors can influence an answer to that question. Genetics, a persons age, their state of fitness as they enter the 'off season', how long that season is and how sedentary they are through it..... and more.

That aside, I think as a general 'rule' for anyone living in areas where winter/ inclement weather prohibit riding consistently for fairly long periods, it's in a cyclists best interest to do what most of use here do - and that's come to terms with the fact that a stationary bike is a necessary evil. If nothing else, it'll test your resolve. But when the weather breaks, you'll be in good form to carry on...

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast