Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016

Thumbs up I finally got it!!!

So after a couple of weeks of research for my limited budget and hundreds of advices from you guys here I finally settled on my first road bike!!!
    The choices were a superbudget entry level, an older "better" bike, or a vintage bike, well, I ended up getting a newer "better" entry level, a 2012 Trek 1.1.
    I finally got it!!!-20160813_135031.jpg
    The picture doesn't really shows how new this bike truly is, it still has the tiny hair on the tires..

Next on the list is a fitting, but it will come later on, in the meantime I ordered a more "normal" stem, since the one that it has right now makes it either a mountain bike or makes the reach too low.

I put about 20 miles on it (10 miles twice), and my rides will probably be between 10 and 15 miles a couple of times a week.

I'm really happy with it, boy you can really feel everything on the road when you ride it, and I kinda like it.

Now I gotta figure out why the guy gave me a Bontrager Shock Pump, and how to use my floor pump to inflate the tires.

Thank you very much for all your support, if it wasn't for you guys I would be probably riding a Denali bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    These are the first 2 rides, I was pretty surprised at my pace actually 😊☺️

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Cycling induced anoesis
    Glad it all worked out for you.

If that's where you've decided to position your bars, I'm thinking you'll have little or no spacers and a 7-8 degree stem. A perfectly fine setup, just making an observation. But I still would advise you to hold off on cutting the steerer till you log more saddle time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    I want it 1 or 2 cm higher. I did raise slightly the saddle from the picture. I ordered a 6 degree, 130mm stem, for 10$ I can probably give it a couple of try.. LoL
    When I ride I can see the front hub, those extra 2 cm should put my hands in the sweet spot.
    I believe the stock stem is 110 @7 degrees, this is 100 @ "mtb" degree... LoL

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Didn't you get it and do your first two rides about a week ago? Perhaps I'm losing my mind. Déjà vu and all that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    One on Wed and one today 😊

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo2081 View Post
    One on Wed and one today 
    I was afraid of that...

Edit: Figured it out. I confused these recent rides with the boat anchor ride you posted.
    Last edited by wim; 08-19-2016 at 04:47 PM.

CEO Of The Internet
    If you are riding the bike as pictured I think you should get that fitting as soon as possible.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Yeah, it's in the near future.
    For now I'm getting rid of that dorky stem.

Cycling induced anoesis
    I want it 1 or 2 cm higher. I did raise slightly the saddle from the picture. I ordered a 6 degree, 130mm stem, for 10$ I can probably give it a couple of try.. LoL
    When I ride I can see the front hub, those extra 2 cm should put my hands in the sweet spot.

That's a fine plan, just remember that due to the head tube angle, your bars come closer a few mm's as you raise them.

Maybe try 1CM (which is actually quite a lot in bike fit terms), then ride a few rides to help decide.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010

The angle on that stem is pretty drastically pointing down. Keep in mind that if you get one that's more parallel to the ground an extra 2cm in stem length will likely results in moving the bars more than 2 cm away from you.

You might want to 'flip' that stem just for the heck of it to see how that goes. Not suggesting that would be perfect either but just to give you another point of reference before getting a 'permanent' stem.

Anyway, nice bike. The set up actually looks pretty normal now it's just that the stem getting it there is all wrong. I don't doubt that moving the bars up would be good for you at this point. But keep in mind that as you develop fitness and flexibility you may eventually move the bars back down and end up really close to where it is now. Which, at this point, has nothing to do with anything I suppose. Just throwing it out there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    That's a fine plan, just remember that due to the head tube angle, your bars come closer a few mm's as you raise them.

Maybe try 1CM (which is actually quite a lot in bike fit terms), then ride a few rides to help decide.
    I'll give it a try. I see that stems are pretty easy to come by for cheap, so I'll see how it feels and I'll go from there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    The angle on that stem is pretty drastically pointing down. Keep in mind that if you get one that's more parallel to the ground an extra 2cm in stem length will likely results in moving the bars more than 2 cm away from you.

You might want to 'flip' that stem just for the heck of it to see how that goes. Not suggesting that would be perfect either but just to give you another point of reference before getting a 'permanent' stem.

Anyway, nice bike. The set up actually looks pretty normal now it's just that the stem getting it there is all wrong. I don't doubt that moving the bars up would be good for you at this point. But keep in mind that as you develop fitness and flexibility you may eventually move the bars back down and end up really close to where it is now. Which, at this point, has nothing to do with anything I suppose. Just throwing it out there.
    When I took the bike home the stem was flipped upwards and it was on top of that stack of spacers.
    It didn't feel comfortable at all, was way too high and I thought I was sitting on the toilet rather than on a bike... LoL
    I played with it a bit and like this it feels "ok", but then again, it's my first road bike so I can imagine that my position will "evolve" with time.

I'm surprisingly flexible for and "used to be fat" guy, might be because I've been working out daily for the past year with yoga being in it at least once a week ( I was actually pretty flexible at 235 lbs) and believe it or not, the drops are pretty comfy, and my only complaint is that my left hand gets bit tingly if I don't switch around the position (only the left, go figure).

I know a fit will probably fix everything with no speculation, so I'll ride it a bit more and then I'll go for it

Adventure Seeker
    Try keeping the stem that way, but putting the spacers on top of it. That is a LOT of spacers, but as recommended already, don't cut the steerer until you get a pro fitting.
    I have a single track mind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanya View Post
    Try keeping the stem that way, but putting the spacers on top of it. That is a LOT of spacers, but as recommended already, don't cut the steerer until you get a pro fitting.
    Yeah I noticed.
    I figured I would wait for the new stem to arrive instead of wasting time with this one.
    In the meantime I'm going to work on the drivetrain, front derailleur needs adjustment and I'll make sure the rear is well adjusted as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    That's a great bike. Incredible value.

I have the 2013 1.1 and recommend the Trek 1 series to everybody I know who is starting out on road bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperCycle View Post
    That's a great bike. Incredible value.

I have the 2013 1.1 and recommend the Trek 1 series to everybody I know who is starting out on road bikes.
    This is a 2012..pretty happy with it

Neophyte
    Keep in mind that front derailleur may have 4 positions, not 2 (trim). If unfamiliar, check out on Youtube although if I recall you have MTB background so you probably know already.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Keep in mind that front derailleur may have 4 positions, not 2 (trim). If unfamiliar, check out on Youtube although if I recall you have MTB background so you probably know already.
    Well, I wouldn't say I have a mtb background, I did ride a "vintage" mtb for some time... That's all... LoL

RoadBikeReview Member
    Excellent, congrats on the purchase. Enjoy!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    Congrats!

Here's a recent pic of my 1.1

Over the years I've added LizardSkins Bar Tape, Gatorskin tires, Nashbar road saddle, Speedplay Frog pedals, Cateye bike computer and front/rear lights.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperCycle View Post
    Congrats!

Here's a recent pic of my 1.1

Over the years I've added LizardSkins Bar Tape, Gatorskin tires, Nashbar road saddle, Speedplay Frog pedals, Cateye bike computer and front/rear lights.
    What's with you and reptiles 😊

I see yours has a few spacers as well, is it the way it is?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    What's with you and reptiles 😊

I see yours has a few spacers as well, is it the way it is?

Yes, spacers were standard. Everything else not listed above is original parts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Got the new stem and put it on.. Can't wait to see how it goes now.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Looks good! Keep us updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast