RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005

I gave spare tube and air cartridge to rider... do I follow up?

When I was about to start my ride yesterday evening, saw a rider with a flat tire
    so I gave him my spare tube and air cartridge. He gave me his number so I can
    call him later on in the evening to give him my info so he can give me back a spare
    tube and air cartridge.

What do you usually do? Do you call the person up and ask for a tube and cartridge?
    Or just leave it at that? I feel a little cheap asking him to give me replacement parts
    because a tube and cartridge doesn't cost much. But on the other hand, if I were to
    get a tube from someone, I'd DEFINITELY repay him or her.

My first post here.. still a newbie.. great forum!!! Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Lartymarf
    When I was about to start my ride yesterday evening, saw a rider with a flat tire
    call him later on in the evening to give him my info so he can give me back a spare
    tube and air cartridge.

What do you usually do? Do you call the person up and ask for a tube and cartridge?
    Or just leave it at that? I feel a little cheap asking him to give me replacement parts
    because a tube and cartridge doesn't cost much. But on the other hand, if I were to

He gave you his number so he isn't trying to duck out on you and may be expecting you to call. Call and ask how his ride went, don't bring up the tube and cartridge unless he does.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Call him and ask if he got home OK; then the ball is very much in his court. Your approach is right; if he doesn't return it he is the one with the problem, not you.

Still On Steel

Well, it's really up to you ...

... and depends on what resolution you'd like to see. There are a number of ways to look at what happened:

The other rider gave you his name and number, which suggests a willingness to repay you. Some people are pretty anal about squaring their "debts" (and there's nothing wrong with that) and he may actually prefer to settle up.

You could chalk it up as an an act of random kindness and forget about it. Maybe someday you see the guy on the road and he remembers you. Or not. Either way, you did a good deed and nothing's going to alter that fact.

Or you could take the next step and see how it plays out. Call the guy, tell him you wanted to make sure he got home okay, and see what happens next. Maybe he insists on reimbursing you. Maybe he says, "Yeah, got home fine, thanks again" -- and lets it go at that. Most likely, you'll get a feel for what to do right quick.

Me, I'd probably call him, ask whether he got home okay, and if he offered to pay me back, I'd just tell him to pass the favor along whenever he has the chance.
    Allez Rouge

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Lartymarf
    tube and air cartridge.

Personally I wouldn't sweat a tube. People have given me as many as I;ve given them--but if you're short on cash and need the tube by all means call the guy. I'm sure he'll make it right.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

The Gimlet Eye
    I'd let it slide. Put the cost of the tube in your karma bank!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks a lot everyone for your responses.
    I plan to call him up to see if he got home without
    another flat and leave it at that. I'd like to put it in
    the karma bank so one day when I get a flat, maybe
    someone with a spare tube will ride by and help me
    get home. =D Ofcourse, I'll pay the person back
    right on the spot with money that's in my saddle sack.

Thanks again everyone!

banned
    Jan 2004

Something in me wants to see those people walk home

I always offer help when I see somebody by the side of the road, and I don't expect anything in return (though, come to think of it, I can't remember anybody ever stopping to help ME).
    Sometimes it's a strain, though. As cycling has become more popular around here, the roads are crowded with cyclists of the Arrogant Roadie Pr!ck persuasion, the kind of guys who won't acknowledge other cyclists, block car traffic and make a point of blowing past slower or uncertain riders close enough to startle them. Makes it hard for all of us, and it just p!sses me off. When I see some guy who put $2500 into his bike and $300 into his superhero outfit, and brushed elbows with me as he passed two miles back, but doesn't carry a $2.50 patch kit and $20 pump, I'm awfully tempted to look the other way as I ride majestically past.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory
    I always offer help when I see somebody by the side of the road, and I don't expect anything in return (though, come to think of it, I can't remember anybody ever stopping to help ME).
    Sometimes it's a strain, though. As cycling has become more popular around here, the roads are crowded with cyclists of the Arrogant Roadie Pr!ck persuasion, the kind of guys who won't acknowledge other cyclists, block car traffic and make a point of blowing past slower or uncertain riders close enough to startle them. Makes it hard for all of us, and it just p!sses me off. When I see some guy who put $2500 into his bike and $300 into his superhero outfit, and brushed elbows with me as he passed two miles back, but doesn't carry a $2.50 patch kit and $20 pump, I'm awfully tempted to look the other way as I ride majestically past.
    Apparently you can tell someone's personality from his or her bike and clothing. I think that makes you the "Arrogant Roadie Pr!ck."

Quote Originally Posted by Cory
    Out riding on Saturday, I look up the road and I see a guy jogging down the shoulder pushing his road bike along as he goes coming my way. I shout across and ask "Need any help?" He waves me off and says he's fine. I had a turn around a couple of miles up and come up to him from behind on the way back. He's still jogging and now I can see it's just a rear flat. I pull up next to him and offer him a tube and fill. He's clearly embarassed to have been "caught" without a spare. He says "if I keep jogging I'll be home in 15 minutes and it serves me right, it's exactly what I deserve". I give a small wave a proceed on.

To the original Poster:
    I had a similiar experience last year, guy wanted to mail me money to replace the spare parts, I asked that instead of sending me money, he should help the next stranded cyclists he sees, he smiled, agreed that was a fine solution and we moved on.

Scot
    Scot Gore, Minneapolis

Banned forever.....or not
    I'll always gladly give a tube to a rider who is stranded ( No matter if he is a bike nerd, a guy in a full discovery kit, or a hammer head ) If he doesn't have a pump, I'll wait and inflate his tire with my CO2 thingy. If he doesn't know a presta valve from a crank bolt, I'll even change it for him.
    I do it for him, and I do it for me.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

a Freds Fred
    Personaly I wouldn't seek a new tube in return unless I were flat broke. I don't mind helping someone in a jam and the fact that he made an honest attempt at repaying the tube and cartridge would be thanks enough for me.

Uri nara manse.
    I say call the guy, strike up a conversation, don't bring up the tubes and cartridge unless he does. Who knows maybe you can even meet a new riding buddy, new friedns are always cool. If he is real nice he'll return the favor and give you a tube and cartridge, but don't sweat it, they are not expensive parts...

I had a guy give me a chain once (far from home on a dirt trail with a busted Shimano chain with no chain tools and this guy happened to have a whole spare SRAM chain on his camelbak.) Sure it was an old chain, but it got the job done, and I went out of my way to return it to him later.
    Last edited by carioca; 08-30-2005 at 03:41 PM.
    ____o^o__o^o__o^o____o^o___o^o___________

Visit my shop for cool cycling shirts: the Q factory. More designs to be added later.

Check out my blog

“Don’t hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep.” - Theodore Roosevelt

Game on, b*tches!

You need to ask about this??

It's pretty simple, really. If you need the tube and would be p*ssed if you don't get compensation, call the guy. If you don't care and are just adding to your karma bank, chalk it up as a good deed. Do you really need a bunch of anonymous internet posters to tell you how to act? Sheesh.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    Kram59,

Hey man, just asking what the normal etiquette is. Tks.

Spin Diesel

I'd say call him

if for nothing else to invite him out for a ride, I'm always looking for cycling buddies and some guy considerate enough to give you all his personal info over a $5 tube sounds like a do right kinda person to me.

Like others said I wouldn't even bring up the tube, just ask how his ride went and go from there.
    On your left!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Free stuff

Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    I'll always gladly give a tube to a rider who is stranded ( No matter if he is a bike nerd, a guy in a full discovery kit, or a hammer head ) If he doesn't have a pump, I'll wait and inflate his tire with my CO2 thingy. If he doesn't know a presta valve from a crank bolt, I'll even change it for him.
    I'll gladly patch his tube with the Park patches I carry, I'll gladly check his tire for the cause of the flat, I'll gladly mount his tire, and I'll gladly pump it up. Karma, doncha know. However, when I go for a long ride, I can go 70 miles and not see another rider, so there's no way I'm giving away my spare tube. And all the while I'm helping this "poor unfortunate" out, I'll SURE be giving some lessons on the Boy Scout Motto: "Be Prepared." IMO, there is NO EXCUSE for not carrying the stuff you need to fix a flat and/or not knowing how to use it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    I'll gladly patch his tube with the Park patches I carry, I'll gladly check his tire for the cause of the flat, I'll gladly mount his tire, and I'll gladly pump it up. Karma, doncha know. However, when I go for a long ride, I can go 70 miles and not see another rider, so there's no way I'm giving away my spare tube. And all the while I'm helping this "poor unfortunate" out, I'll SURE be giving some lessons on the Boy Scout Motto: "Be Prepared." IMO, there is NO EXCUSE for not carrying the stuff you need to fix a flat and/or not knowing how to use it.
    Giving lessons is like the "give a man a fish, feed him for a day, teach him to fish, feed him for a lifetime" deal.
    Many times, it will depend on whether the stranger is a beginner or not. I remember when I first started road riding. I had never discussed cycling with anyone. I remember riding my Schwinn bike as a kid and never ever got a flat. So I assumed flat tires were about as common as flat tires on a lawnmower. I simply didn't have the experience to know what at the time was unknowable without the experience. I didn't ride with water bottles. I didn't ride with bike shorts, clipless pedals, protective eyewear, gloves, etc. It's only after miles of experience that I learned. I got a flat and had to walk. I learned my lesson.
    That's not to say that if I had been given a tube and inflate from another cyclists, and got off, I wouldn't have learned my lesson.

Say "nuke-u-lar"
    I'm on the karma bank wagon, I always give tubes away (and wait while they pump 'em up, cause they usually need my pump too), I was helped in such ways when in need many a time...

I refuse to accept phone numbers unless they are female and expectations are higher than getting a replacement tube.
    Suum quique.