RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

ideas for attaching Cateye Strada computer pickups?

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone has ideas on attaching my Cateye cadence pickup? The LBS installed the computer when I purchased the bike and they chose to use small zip ties to attach the magnetic pickup to the crank, the problem is the zip tie doesn't hold the pickup firmly in place, allowing it to walk around while riding, which is causing erratic readings.

Does anyone have a better, cleaner, solution than zip ties?

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by nummit View Post
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone has ideas on attaching my Cateye cadence pickup? The LBS installed the computer when I purchased the bike and they chose to use small zip ties to attach the magnetic pickup to the crank, the problem is the zip tie doesn't hold the pickup firmly in place, allowing it to walk around while riding, which is causing erratic readings.

You can tighten the ties so they don't slip, but the rear of the magnets usually have adhesive backed foam, negating the need for the ties. If yours doesn't have that, you can use silicone adhesive/ sealant in lieu of the ties.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    You can tighten the ties so they don't slip, but the rear of the magnets usually have adhesive backed foam, negating the need for the ties. If yours doesn't have that, you can use silicone adhesive/ sealant in lieu of the ties.

Thank you. I have tried to tighten the zip tie on a few occasions but it still allows the pickup to slide on the crank arm. I will try some silicone

Slightly Opinionated
    Try a rare earth magnet stuck into the back of the pedal spindle. Ultra clean and doesn't slip (and won't fall out unless you really abuse your bike hard.)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Buy some Shoe Goo at the drugstore. It comes in a tube & is thick & gooey. It's a clear rubber cement on steroids. I find it's best to apply it with a toothpick. It's super strong, but can be removed leaving no trace. It has many uses. I used it to glue my helmet mirror on & also to fix the computer sensor on my forks. I found, like you, that regardless of how tight the zip ties are the sensor is going to move around a lot. Mine has been Shoe Gooed on for 3 years & I've never had to touch it.
    Don't believe everything you think.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Hi,

the 'pickup' is the part on the frame. you're talking about the magnet. not the 'magnetic pickup'...just the magnet.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii View Post
    Try a rare earth magnet stuck into the back of the pedal spindle. Ultra clean and doesn't slip (and won't fall out unless you really abuse your bike hard.)
    Magnet fit perfectly the only problem is the spindle of the pedal is almost flush with the crank which makes the magnet stick out too far to clear the pickup.
    Could I cut a few threads off the pedal spindle to give a little more clearance without weakening the pedal itself? I need about 1/8" more clearance for it all to fit

Cycling induced anoesis
    Magnet fit perfectly the only problem is the spindle of the pedal is almost flush with the crank which makes the magnet stick out too far to clear the pickup.
    Could I cut a few threads off the pedal spindle to give a little more clearance without weakening the pedal itself? I need about 1/8" more clearance for it all to fit
    I'm confused. What does the pedal spindle have to do with any if this? The magnet attaches to the back of the crankarm and the pickup attaches to the chainstay.

If the magnet doesn't clear, just reposition the pickup down 'some'. It doesn't have to be angled any particular way to work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    I'm confused. What does the pedal spindle have to do with any if this? The magnet attaches to the back of the crankarm and the pickup attaches to the chainstay.

If the magnet doesn't clear, just reposition the pickup down 'some'. It doesn't have to be angled any particular way to work.

I'm going on the assumption that the "pedal spindle" is the threaded part of the pedal that threads into the crank arm? if so, I was advised a few posts up to attach the magnet to the back of the spindle, the only problem is that my pedal spindle is nearly flush with the back side of the crank arm, so when I attach the magnet to the spindle it sticks out too far and barely clears the chain stay, attaching the pickup causes interference between the magnet and the pickup.
    If it is possible to cut a few threads off the pedal spindle without compromising the integrity of the pedal it would allow a recessed area to insert the magnet and leave plenty of clearance for the pickup

Cycling induced anoesis
    I'm going on the assumption that the "pedal spindle" is the threaded part of the pedal that threads into the crank arm? if so, I was advised a few posts up to attach the magnet to the back of the spindle, the only problem is that my pedal spindle is nearly flush with the back side of the crank arm, so when I attach the magnet to the spindle it sticks out too far and barely clears the chain stay, attaching the pickup causes interference between the magnet and the pickup.
    If it is possible to cut a few threads off the pedal spindle without compromising the integrity of the pedal it would allow a recessed area to insert the magnet and leave plenty of clearance for the pickup
    Per the photo, the pickup is positioned near the BB. The magnet is positioned on the backside of the crankarm so that it passes by the pickups narrower part. If you look closely, you'll see a notch. Using that as a guide, center your magnet on the backside of the crankarm.

If your pickup is positioned further back on the chainstay, just attach the magnet to the rear of the crankarm so that it passes by the notch mentioned previously.
    ideas for attaching Cateye Strada computer pickups?-img_1276.jpg

Per the photo, the pickup is positioned near the BB. The magnet is positioned on the backside of the crankarm so that it passes by the pickups narrower part. If you look closely, you'll see a notch. Using that as a guide, center your magnet on the backside of the crankarm.

If your pickup is positioned further back on the chainstay, just attach the magnet to the rear of the crankarm so that it passes by the notch mentioned previously.
    a lot of guys will attach a small round rare earth magnet to the backside of the pedal axle instead of mounting the magnet on the backside of the crank arm. it's a quick, easy, and clean way of mounting a magnet. unless you run into the problem the poster is having and the magnet sticks out too far.
    if it's a speed AND cadence sensor it obviously has to be mounted further to the rear than your photo, and this lends itself to the magnet-on-the-axle set up.
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9

RoadBikeReview Member
    +1 on shoo goo it's the liquid version of duct tape

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile View Post
    Buy some Shoe Goo at the drugstore. It comes in a tube & is thick & gooey. It's a clear rubber cement on steroids. I find it's best to apply it with a toothpick. It's super strong, but can be removed leaving no trace. It has many uses. I used it to glue my helmet mirror on & also to fix the computer sensor on my forks. I found, like you, that regardless of how tight the zip ties are the sensor is going to move around a lot. Mine has been Shoe Gooed on for 3 years & I've never had to touch it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    a lot of guys will attach a small round rare earth magnet to the backside of the pedal axle instead of mounting the magnet on the backside of the crank arm. it's a quick, easy, and clean way of mounting a magnet. unless you run into the problem the poster is having and the magnet sticks out too far.
    if it's a speed AND cadence sensor it obviously has to be mounted further to the rear than your photo, and this lends itself to the magnet-on-the-axle set up.

I have separate sensors for speed and cadence.
    Is it ok for people with clearance issues to cut a couple of threads on the pedal axle to gain a bit of clearance?

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Good explanation. Sure, whatever works, but (if I'm understanding correctly) the OP doesn't have sufficient space to place the magnet at the end of the pedal axle. Rather than cut threads I'd opt for the method shown in my pic.

Another possibility is to reposition the pickup down 'some' which should provide more clearance between it and the magnet. It doesn't have to be parallel to work.

BTW, that's not my bike. It's my SO's, but was handy for a quick pic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Go up to Home Depot, buy a pack of rare earth magnets (10 pack of 1/2" round by 1/8" thick) for about 4 bucks. Stick the magnet to the inside of the pedal spindle. It will not stick out much, if at all.

And PS, enjoy how difficult it is to get the stack of magnets apart. No need for glue to keep it on the pedal.

I have separate sensors for speed and cadence.
    Is it ok for people with clearance issues to cut a couple of threads on the pedal axle to gain a bit of clearance?
    i would not recommend doing that. pedal manufacturers employ engineers to design pedals. they design them w/ a certain number of threads because that's what is safe. you can add 1-2mm of spacers if needed for fit issues, but that's it. and adding spacers is different than cutting threads. i'd say no.
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Haven't read the thread, but I recommend what others have undoubtedly already suggested: use a "rare earth" (aka "stronger than hell") disk magnet I picked up in the local Michel's craft store, 6 for about $3. Put the magnet on the pedal spindle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by heybrady View Post
    Go up to Home Depot, buy a pack of rare earth magnets (10 pack of 1/2" round by 1/8" thick) for about 4 bucks. Stick the magnet to the inside of the pedal spindle. It will not stick out much, if at all.

And PS, enjoy how difficult it is to get the stack of magnets apart. No need for glue to keep it on the pedal.

That's what I have and the magnet is too thick to clear the chain stay and pickup.

Cycling induced anoesis
    That's what I have and the magnet is too thick to clear the chain stay and pickup.
    As I mentioned previously, you can reposition the pickup down 'some' so there's more clearance.

Also, if your chainstays flair out towards the rear hub, they taper in towards the BB shell. You can reposition the pickup closer to the BB, as my pic illustrates.

Speaking of which, how about some pics?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    You prob have a normal craft magnet that is about 1/4" thick. A rare earth is less than half of that. There should be no good reason why your pedal has then than 1/8" of clearance with the chain stay. If the sensor is in the way, rotate it back a bit.